• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Interesting fantasy draft article

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Draft Strategy: 2020 Category Sleepers: Batting Average - Fantasy Columns

Full disclosure here. I don't have a freaking clue about fantasy baseball, football, whatever. My idea of fantasy involves a screamin' hot babe with a major rack. In fact, the only reason I'm posting this is that it includes a reference to Nick Madrigal and his skill set.

IMO - Madrigal is even more ready for the major leagues than Luis Robert. In college he played like he had a doctorate in baseball - with teammates who were undergraduates. I think Madrigal is Nellie Fox reincarnated -his intangibles may be more important than is tangibles.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO - Madrigal is even more ready for the major leagues than Luis Robert. In college he played like he had a doctorate in baseball - with teammates who were undergraduates. I think Madrigal is Nellie Fox reincarnated -his intangibles may be more important than is tangibles.
Love the Nellie comparison. There will be some criticism of his lack of power, being this is baseball's homer-happy era. But you still need runners on base, you still need that guy who can force a pitcher to throw 10, 11, 12 pitches before the ball finally gets put in play. Madrigal is that guy. And his numbers with RISP have been impressive to say the least. The kid has a great glove, excellent range, is speedy and of course is almost legendary already for how little he whiffs. We should have sufficient power in our lineup for the next X number of years. I like having one of our players be able to put the ball in play way, way more often than not.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love the Nellie comparison. There will be some criticism of his lack of power, being this is baseball's homer-happy era. But you still need runners on base, you still need that guy who can force a pitcher to throw 10, 11, 12 pitches before the ball finally gets put in play. Madrigal is that guy. And his numbers with RISP have been impressive to say the least. The kid has a great glove, excellent range, is speedy and of course is almost legendary already for how little he whiffs. We should have sufficient power in our lineup for the next X number of years. I like having one of our players be able to put the ball in play way, way more often than not.

I saw an article after Andrew Vaughn got drafted - quoting Vaughn - about Madrigal - with Vaughn describing Madrigal with AJ Pierzynski style heads up thinking while the ball was in play.

Personally - I hate watching major leaguers throw to the wrong base - make base running errors - or miss any inch of edge a player can add to winning a game. Madrigal is legendary about having his head in the game. One of Vaughn's recollections of Madrigal was a play with a man on 1st - hitter hits a short bloop ball to shallow RF - no infield fly rule was called - Madrigal let the ball drop and executed a double play.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw an article after Andrew Vaughn got drafted - quoting Vaughn - about Madrigal - with Vaughn describing Madrigal with AJ Pierzynski style heads up thinking while the ball was in play.

Personally - I hate watching major leaguers throw to the wrong base - make base running errors - or miss any inch of edge a player can add to winning a game. Madrigal is legendary about having his head in the game. One of Vaughn's recollections of Madrigal was a play with a man on 1st - hitter hits a short bloop ball to shallow RF - no infield fly rule was called - Madrigal let the ball drop and executed a double play.

Oh, goody! A "headsy, spunky" ball player. Gee, what is he? 5'7 165, right? How many times will we hear him called "scrappy" and/or "tough" during the broadcasts? Let me guess... Is Nick Madrigal the kind of player who will do anything a manager would ask of him? He is! Isn't he!?

I mean, good lawdy. A short middle infielder AND he's a white kid? Wow... we might set the record for clichés and adjectives about one ball player in a season.

"Hard nosed" there's a goody.

There's a laundry list of these guys with the "zero power/never K's and good defense" profile who have just never wound up amounting to much.

He was good in college. Great... sweet... awesome. I think he can be a fine ball player. However, there's plenty that still needs to improve at the plate. His progress is going well but there's reason to be skeptical about how his game translates.

I know I am being a dick. But to suggest that he's more major league ready than the guy who broke AAA and burned it to the ground last year? Who has demonstrated no flaw in his game? Stop.

Being baseball smart is not what makes you MLB ready as a positional player. It helps... but it takes a far backseat to "can you hit?"

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, goody! A "headsy, spunky" ball player. Gee, what is he? 5'7 165, right? How many times will we hear him called "scrappy" and/or "tough" during the broadcasts? Let me guess... Is Nick Madrigal the kind of player who will do anything a manager would ask of him? He is! Isn't he!?

I mean, good lawdy. A short middle infielder AND he's a white kid? Wow... we might set the record for clichés and adjectives about one ball player in a season.

There's a laundry list of these guys with the "zero power/never K's and good defense" profile who have just never wound up amounting to much.

He was good in college. Great... sweet... awesome. I think he can be a fine ball player. However, there's plenty that still needs to improve at the plate. His progress is going well but there's reason to be skeptical about how his game translates.

I know I am being a dick. But to suggest that he's more major league ready than the guy who broke AAA and burned it to the ground last year? Who has demonstrated no flaw in his game? Stop.

Being baseball smart is not what makes you MLB ready as a positional player. It helps... but it takes a far backseat to "can you hit?"

Thanks for your opinion. It is obviously so much better than mine.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think you're being a dick at all, you're just calling it as you see it. But based on previous posts regarding Madrigal, I suspect your biggest gripe about him is his lack of power. I feel your take on today's MLB players is if a player doesn't smack a minimum of 20 dingers, then he's not fully measuring up. We both agree that we have no idea how his career will pan out. But I'll say without hesitation that if he produces as expected: good BA (.285 - .300+), good speed, great defense, and of course that insanely low SO rate- all this without mashing a ton of homers - then this will have been a tremendous selection by the White Sox. Again, a big IF, but I'm definitely not going to judge his career based on a lack of HRs.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for your opinion. It is obviously so much better than mine.

Don't mind richi...He likes strikeouts, underlying stats that make .240 hitters look better than they are, and sh*tty quarterbacks when his defense is good.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't mind richi...He likes strikeouts, underlying stats that make .240 hitters look better than they are, and sh*tty quarterbacks when his defense is good.

Holy sh*t...You guys ever watch Dating Game? (It's an old time game show about dating and there's a woman [usually] choosing between 3 suitors for a date that the game show pays for).

I just imagined the bold as the intro read when some dude comes on the show...

LOL

"Bachelor #3...Tell me more about BABIP."

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't have a problem with @richig07's critique of my opinion of Madrigal - except the part where Rich comes close to suggesting I'm some kind of baseball racist.

The fact is Madrigal had a higher BA (.311) and OBP (.377) than Robert (BA .297 - OBP .344) in Charlotte and, of course had an insanely small SO rate - while Robert's SO rate went up from Birmingham to Charlotte. This was the basis in which I made the judgement that Madrigal is probably more ready for MLB than Robert.

There's no question in my mind Robert - a true 5 tool player - is a better prospect than Madrigal. I just think Madrigal will have less trouble adjusting to MLB pitching - and fielding situations. The cool thing about putting my opinions on such matters on there in the public record - is that my judgement will either be confirmed by next season's play - or it won't.

Go White Sox!