• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Revisit: BA VS OBP

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
anyone who knows on these boards, I love Theoretical Fantasy... and I can talk about these topics all day long... I like them more than talking about actual players...

I am starting off with one of the most controversial topics in fantasy scoring OBP VS BA.

Main arguments for OBP-

1. OBP is a better measurement of a players skill than BA
2. OBP includes walks and uses ALL PLATE APPEARANCES
3. OBP has 3 letters in the acronym- and baseball is a game of 3's

Main Arguments against OBP and FOR BA

1. OBP over values power hitters
2. Hits are more important and valuable than walks
3. DONT FIX WHAT IS NOT BROKEN

Really the Only debatable argument is the point that OBP over values power hitters... as the rest is pretty true...

so I will talk about that one topic...

Does OBP over value power hitters??

the quick answer is NO... Being a power hitter does not make you more patient at the plate, and there are many power hitters who don't walk much... There are also plenty of non-power hitters that walk just as often as anyone else... teams can build an offense that does well in the OBP category and does not do as well in the power categories...

BUT a more complete and complex answer is YES. It is not that OBP over values power hitters it is that it over-values the value of a power hitter and minimizes the risk of taking one...

The 2 types of players the rule change affects the MOST is the high batting average with LOW power, and the High Power hitters with LOW BA. and this just makes you LESS willing to draft/own the Low Power high BA guys...

What it really does is shrinks the pool of valuable players...

I PREFER BA over OBP...

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Milk I get the feeling you would like to use BABIP over either of these.

#2 on your reasons for OBP is the main reason I am for OBP over BA.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Milk I get the feeling you would like to use BABIP over either of these.

#2 on your reasons for OBP is the main reason I am for OBP over BA.

Not reason 3??

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like BA over OBP in a custom league with more cats. OBP over BA in a league that refuses to include BB.

In a BA league, I would want BB as a separate category... doubles too. (triples are a tie breaker)
In an OBP league, I would want a negative K's cat, to balance the advantage OBP gives to power hitters.

8x8 is the way to go, imo.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like BA over OBP in a custom league with more cats. OBP over BA in a league that refuses to include BB.

In a BA league, I would want BB as a separate category... doubles too. (triples are a tie breaker)
In an OBP league, I would want a negative K's cat, to balance the advantage OBP gives to power hitters.

8x8 is the way to go, imo.

I still prefer BA over OBP in standard 5X5... But I SOOOOO much prefer BA with BB than OBP... just does so much more....