• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Interesting Article by Mike Sando on Kaepernick

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope they don't bottle him up like they did to Steve Young later in his career. Without the threat of running it made Young so much less effective. I do agree with Kaepernick though about losing the Super Bowl. It was so much more than just a loss, it was the end of an aura of invincibility where the team could always ay "we've never lost a Super Bowl". He ruined that for us with his poor performance. That game was too much for him at that young of an age and that level of experience. Its a goddamn shame!

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I hope they don't bottle him up like they did to Steve Young later in his career. Without the threat of running it made Young so much less effective. I do agree with Kaepernick though about losing the Super Bowl. It was so much more than just a loss, it was the end of an aura of invincibility where the team could always ay "we've never lost a Super Bowl". He ruined that for us with his poor performance. That game was too much for him at that young of an age and that level of experience. Its a goddamn shame!

depends on how much running you expect him to do? how much you want him to run? plus Young didn't have designed run plays, he had the ability to run, wasn't a running QB.

Roman will run Kaep when he thinks the opponent's D isn't capable of handling it. he isn't going to run him a certain amount each game. lastly, Kaep's running threat is already there, it was established last season.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
depends on how much running you expect him to do? how much you want him to run? plus Young didn't have designed run plays, he had the ability to run, wasn't a running QB.

Roman will run Kaep when he thinks the opponent's D isn't capable of handling it. he isn't going to run him a certain amount each game. lastly, Kaep's running threat is already there, it was established last season.

Agreed. The ability to run really slowed down that pass rush and that extra time made him a better passer. When the 49ers made him stop running he took a step back IMO. I'd like to see Kaepernick run whenever he sees the need. I'd hope the 49ers wouldn't put the reins on him. Like young, if the threat of the run goes away over time, his passing will be less effective.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

That's a bit much. The D allowed 21 points in the first half. The STs allowed a return TD to start the second half. LaMichael James fumbled while in FG range. Culliver's PI set up a FG that required us to get a TD at the end. The same goes for Rogers' failure to make a play on the 3rd and 1 ball to Boldin. The game was poorly officiated even without considering the no-calls at the end. Kap had his struggles, especially early and at the very end, but he also willed us back into the game when we looked like we were left for dead. You can't put the loss entirely on his shoulders.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a bit much. The D allowed 21 points in the first half. The STs allowed a return TD to start the second half. LaMichael James fumbled while in FG range. Culliver's PI set up a FG that required us to get a TD at the end. The same goes for Rogers' failure to make a play on the 3rd and 1 ball to Boldin. The game was poorly officiated even without considering the no-calls at the end. Kap had his struggles, especially early and at the very end, but he also willed us back into the game when we looked like we were left for dead. You can't put the loss entirely on his shoulders.

Agreed. The D is just as culpable. But you have to admit, that was a shell of the defense they had before the Smith brothers went down. With no pass rush, those DBs were really exposed.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Agreed. The ability to run really slowed down that pass rush and that extra time made him a better passer. When the 49ers made him stop running he took a step back IMO. I'd like to see Kaepernick run whenever he sees the need. I'd hope the 49ers wouldn't put the reins on him. Like young, if the threat of the run goes away over time, his passing will be less effective.

When did they make him stop running? He ran for 264 yards and three TDs in the playoffs, including 62 yards and a TD in the super bowl. Two of his three biggest rushing performances as a starter came in the playoffs.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When did they make him stop running? He ran for 264 yards and three TDs in the playoffs, including 62 yards and a TD in the super bowl. Two of his three biggest rushing performances as a starter came in the playoffs.

After he got that first big injury in 1991 I think it was when he missed all those games and Bono had to take over. He wasn't the same guy you saw running wild against the Vikings. Once teams knew he wasn't going to run, they came after him in the pocket and he really paid the price. That was one tough SOB.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Concussions stopped Young from running not the 49ers. He understood that to be a successful QB longterm he would have to become a pocket passer. Kap unlike Young gets down instead of trying to get that extra yard so in theory preserving himself from taking the beating that Young did. At the end of the day Kap will only be as successful as he pocket management allows.

Also saying the SB was to big for Kap is ridiculous. The kid had a good game. Their is blame to go all around for the loss starting from Harbaugh down to the defense.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Agreed. The D is just as culpable. But you have to admit, that was a shell of the defense they had before the Smith brothers went down. With no pass rush, those DBs were really exposed.

No argument here. Though we'd also lost our second RB, and second and third/fourth WRs from a corps that wasn't strong to begin with, so it's not like the offense should have been hitting on all cylinders.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
After he got that first big injury in 1991 I think it was when he missed all those games and Bono had to take over. He wasn't the same guy you saw running wild against the Vikings. Once teams knew he wasn't going to run, they came after him in the pocket and he really paid the price. That was one tough SOB.

Oh, I thought you were talking about Kap. Nevermind.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

wait.....guess you're referring to scrambling, not read option or otherwise called runs? or does this mean Kaep can change the play and run himself?

IF scrambling, those broken plays just happen, if Kaep has to scramble, he will. these plays aren't planned so if space is there, he runs forward. if no space, he runs out of bounds or throws it away? what he won't go do is run headlong into defensive players.

why would the Coaches tell him don't scramble at all?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Unlike Griffin, Kap has shown himself fairly adept at protecting himself when he runs. He only took one or two good shots while running last year, easily offset by his ability to elude sacks. He's quite good at getting down or getting out of bounds, even though he has the size to absorb some punishment.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Unlike Griffin, Kap has shown himself fairly adept at protecting himself when he runs. He only took one or two good shots while running last year, easily offset by his ability to elude sacks. He's quite good at getting down or getting out of bounds, even though he has the size to absorb some punishment.

Agreed.

People are too quick to lump CK in with Vick and Griffin without really considering those guys aren't built like CK and are far more reckless with their running.

I think CK is closer to Cam in terms of build and Cam ran basically as much as Griffin did last season and has ran the same amount the season prior to that and has yet to have problems playing two full healthy seasons.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Concussions stopped Young from running not the 49ers. He understood that to be a successful QB longterm he would have to become a pocket passer. Kap unlike Young gets down instead of trying to get that extra yard so in theory preserving himself from taking the beating that Young did. At the end of the day Kap will only be as successful as he pocket management allows.

Also saying the SB was to big for Kap is ridiculous. The kid had a good game. Their is blame to go all around for the loss starting from Harbaugh down to the defense.

No. He played poorly. He was scared for the first two and a half quarters and it really showed. We all know that when the team wins the QB gets the major credit and when they lose he takes the major blame. Regardless, their legacy was lost to an inferior team which they should have beaten handily had Kaepernick showed up and then not inexplicably fell apart at the end.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No argument here. Though we'd also lost our second RB, and second and third/fourth WRs from a corps that wasn't strong to begin with, so it's not like the offense should have been hitting on all cylinders.

I'll say this. With what he had to work with, kaepernick got them a lot closer to winning than Alex Smith would have.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wait.....guess you're referring to scrambling, not read option or otherwise called runs? or does this mean Kaep can change the play and run himself?

IF scrambling, those broken plays just happen, if Kaep has to scramble, he will. these plays aren't planned so if space is there, he runs forward. if no space, he runs out of bounds or throws it away? what he won't go do is run headlong into defensive players.

why would the Coaches tell him don't scramble at all?

The latter.

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kaep didn't have a great first half, but the defense had a terrible game period, whether it was due to injuries or not.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kaep didn't have a great first half, but the defense had a terrible game period, whether it was due to injuries or not.

What galls me though is that as bad as the team played, the game was there for the taking and kaepernick blew it. He fell apart. If it was just a Super Bowl loss that would be one thing but it was so much more than that. The aura of invincibility in the Super Bowl that the 49ers lorded over every other team is now gone in the span of a minute and 30 seconds of panic stricken indecision by kaepernick.

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What galls me though is that as bad as the team played, the game was there for the taking and kaepernick blew it. He fell apart. If it was just a Super Bowl loss that would be one thing but it was so much more than that. The aura of invincibility in the Super Bowl that the 49ers lorded over every other team is now gone in the span of a minute and 30 seconds of panic stricken indecision by kaepernick.

He got them to the five yard line, the play where Crabs got a helmet shot should have been a penalty, Peter King went through the whole sequence with the end where Harbaugh called a timeout when they had a running play for Kaep called and it was poorly defended but coming out of the timeout the Ravens were in the right formation and he had to throw to Crabs, who was interfered with.