• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Instant replay is on its way back

StoningtonQB

ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL owners allow centralized system to aid instant replay - ESPN

We're going back to instant replay. But this time, it's "different." When they stopped instant replay, the complaint was that the games were taking too long and we should just let the refs do their job. Now that everyone has realized that they are incapable of doing their job properly (because either they're blind or they're throwing games), it's back.

Are we back to having 4 hour games? And if so, is it that big of a deal considering the alternative? I believe all plays and calls will be reviewable next season. Now they will look at feeds from past games while reviewing on-field plays.

Last edited by a moderator:

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL owners allow centralized system to aid instant replay - ESPN

We're going back to instant replay. But this time, it's "different." When they stopped instant replay, the complaint was that the games were taking too long and we should just let the refs do their job. Now that everyone has realized that they are incapable of doing their job properly (because either they're blind or they're throwing games), it's back.

Are we back to having 4 hour games? And if so, is it that big of a deal considering the alternative? I believe all plays and calls will be reviewable next season. Now they will look at feeds from past games while reviewing on-field plays.

:wtf2:

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Centralizing it is fine. Expanding it is not.

Nothing that is not currently reviewable but helmet to helmet hits should be reviewable. Anything that is a judgment call must be determined live.

Mondio

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Centralizing it is fine. Expanding it is not.

Nothing that is not currently reviewable but helmet to helmet hits should be reviewable. Anything that is a judgment call must be determined live.

I can live with this. I get frustrated by calls, trust me. Over 3+ decades i've seen calls go against my team and in favor and enough "reviewed" calls that leave me scratching my head for all sorts of teams. It's never going to be perfect.

I don't expect it to be and though I get fucking pissed during the game when they screw up, when the beer and the emotions have worn off, I wish they'd just leave it alone. It's only going to add another layer of time, another layer of place to lay blame, another obstacle, another reason for refs on the field to not do their job the best they can at that moment. in the end, that is the best way.

The refs on the field don't have a back up. They are it. They live or die by their calls. that's the best way to ensure the right calls are made the majority of the time.

It's like a picture. If you get the exposure and composition and everything right before you take the picture, it's a good picture. If you say fuck it and just think you can fix it all with post processing, well you can probably fix a lot, but it will never be as good as if you just did it right the first time.

Same with building houses, if you're relying on someone to come back behind you and "fix it", you don't do as good of job the first time around and always end up with more to fix. Or a car, or dog training or whatever it is you're doing.

knowing you have someone to come cover your ass usually results in a shoddy product to begin with and that's not good for the game either. I'm close to finding my Sundays a lot more valuable than sitting and watching a game, make them longer and that might be the push I need. I know the league doesn't care about me, but keep messing with things and it will affect enough like "me" it will make a difference

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bowman's play shouldn't be reviewable. Recovery of a fumble needs to be determined live.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't usually like rule changes, but all possession and ball spotting plays should be reviewable.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
What's stupid with this is they are still going to have the officials go to the sidelines to watch replays when it would be much faster if the central office makes the call and tells the referee the correct call.

The central office should watch the games and already be watching the replays of some debatable rulings and be prepared to quickly make a decision to relay it to the referee if a challenge is made or it's one of those automatically reviewed plays.

Games would go by much quicker if this was the case.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's stupid with this is they are still going to have the officials go to the sidelines to watch replays when it would be much faster if the central office makes the call and tells the referee the correct call.

The central office should watch the games and already be watching the replays of some debatable rulings and be prepared to quickly make a decision to relay it to the referee if a challenge is made or it's one of those automatically reviewed plays.

Games would go by much quicker if this was the case.

That's true. Since it is all about watching video, the on-the-field ref is in no better position to review a call than an official who is somewhere else.