• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Instant Replay and how it will change the game

Band of Brothers

A Dreamer...trying to find my way home for dinner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well we now will have special assistants to the manager back in the clubhouse or wherever so they can relay a message on which plays to challenge with instant replay. The days of managers running out of the dugout red faced with spit flying everywhere yelling at the umpires will go the way of the dinosaur . I will miss that in a way. Some managers were pure geniuses at firing up their clubs by challenging the ump on a questionable call.

Earlier in spring training I spotted Bruce Bochy sitting back in his chair after challenging a call with instant replay and he had this sly smile on his face after winning the call. I also caught Walt Weiss after he challenged a play at the plate against the Dodgers that went his way and he had that same sly smile going as Bochy. How will the umpires handle this instant replay? They are going to be under the spotlight where stat freaks will be following who makes the most mistakes and who gets their calls reversed the most. Will umpires stress out more knowing that big brother is watching every move from the eye in the sky?

I will miss those red faced managers with the spit flying and base throwing . I will miss the fans chanting bullshit as it rained down on the field .There will be less anti acid tablets in the clubhouse so you can start to dump those stocks in those company's right now. Hopefully the changes made will right some wrongs and the games will run smoother but I will wait until that day when a manager challenges a call at the plate and the umpires screw up the replay call and the spit will fly once again.

Arguments will always be a part of the game even with the eye in the sky watching. Where did I put my anti acid tablets at?

:argue:

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Challenges" have been a part of baseball for a while - whether it was the manager going out and persuading the ump to consult with his peers, or him storming out of the dugout swearing. I don't see how video replay would interrupt the flow of the game much more than that. (It will be a lot less entertaining ,though :nod: )