• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Instant Oil Change.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've had to accompany many of my female friends back to the places after they did something wrong. One bought a civic with "performance exhaust" (don't get me started on ricers) and took it into a quick lube for a change and inspection. They told her it had an exhaust leak and that was the reason her exhaust sounded like that. They were going to give her a "deal" on a new muffler and piping. They took the entire catback system off and sold it to another customer later that day. I threatened to involve legal action unless she received the exact system back and additional compensation for ripping her off. Plus a call to the BBB and word of mouth got the guy fired.

:shocked:

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are some places that will come and pick up your used oil, and pay if it's enough. If I had a bigger garage I would put a 55 gallon drum in there and when it got full, call the company up and get my cash and my oil removed.

JohnRandle

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,356.27
Fav. Team #1
Yep, I love those places that take as much as you can dump. We have 5 vehicles and one is a diesel(4 gallons each oil change) plus a skidloader(2 gallons). I just dumped 30 gallons last weekend.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always take my own oil filter when I have my oil changed. I will take my own oil as well if I need too, if I can find it.

I spend about $100 for an oil change, which may seem crazy to some of you, but I only need to change it once a year so it's worth it to me. I only changed every 10k miles because I use a K&N oil filter and Pennzoil Ultra synthetic oil. It's about $20 for my oil filter, and about $80 to have the oil changed. $40 for the oil if I buy it separate and then usually still $30 for the oil change even though I'm not using their stuff.

I would change the oil myself, but my drive way isn't level so I don't have much choice.

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I went to the Pennzoil quicky lube place with the Waggy on Friday. Remembering this thread, I asked the dude if they use shitty filters like the Valvoline place. The guy looked at me kinda' funny and said "they do that? - I bet they do do that." He took me too a rack of shelves with all makes and shapes of filters from which he picked my Mobil 1 filter to go with my oil in the Waggy.

That said, the Pennzoil place costs too much. The only reason I go there is they're a good bunch and they mail me a $10 jewpon every 6 months saying "we haven't seen you in awhile." So, it was like $47 to have it done in 10 minutes with no BS. Decent.

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Waggy happy at the Pennzoil quicky lube:

waggy_zps7208c8b4.jpg

NativeWebfoot

Live to race-Race to live
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last time my '08 needed an oil change, wife and I were in a hurry to go somewhere and she talked me into having it done at a Walmart while we ran in for a few things. It was time again yesterday and when she wanted me to take it somewhere again, I refused and did it myself. The filter Walmart used was lowest quality and they'd tightened it so tight, the sides were tearing and leaking all over while I was trying to remove it. I got it removed and put a Fram extra-guard filter on it. Ready to go another 5K. :yahoo:

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last time my '08 needed an oil change, wife and I were in a hurry to go somewhere and she talked me into having it done at a Walmart while we ran in for a few things. It was time again yesterday and when she wanted me to take it somewhere again, I refused and did it myself. The filter Walmart used was lowest quality and they'd tightened it so tight, the sides were tearing and leaking all over while I was trying to remove it. I got it removed and put a Fram extra-guard filter on it. Ready to go another 5K. :yahoo:

I wish I had a flat place in my yard so I could change my own.

Btw, bring your own filter to places like that. They won't give you a discount or anything, not that it matters since they are using a $2 filter anyway, but they will use the filter you give them.

Had my oil changed yesterday. $14 for the filter, $85 for the oil change.

Godstree

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I use synthetic although I am not so partial to a brand. Pennzoil and mobil 1 usually but not all the time. I have gone many a mile on those oils. I am about 50/50 changing myself.

I bought a '19 cherokee v6 4x4 with 9k. They changed oil when I picked it up so I waited till the car told me it needed changing again. It was 6k miles, which if it didn't do it soon was going to do it anyway.

I switched to synthetic mobil 1. I am getting about 10% better gas mileage. Still not great but .... I also graded this on a bit of a curve since I warm up car in winter and haven't had to do that since I got the change.

I am not sure if there is a break in for engine like used to when it come to mileage, but I reset mileage every fill up. I didn't notice the mileage different (not paying attention really) until about 3rd fill up after change.

Costco just got their own version of synthetic. Cheap as all hell. When I do next change I think I will go with it and a good filter. Changing oil in this jeep seems pretty easy, the filter you get to from top.......

Last edited:

Bullitt08

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I used to change my own but now nope. Each car/truck is different. The Porsche gets 7 1/2 quarts of Mobile One 0-40 and one can of Liqui Moly 2009 every 5.000 miles. I provide the oil and filter and have a guy who changes it for $20. The rest I do myself. All my vehicles except the wet clutch motorcycles get the Liqui Moly.

The Bullitt gets Ford synthetic blend every 5,000 miles. Had been taking it to the dealer but took it to the Havoline place and it was more than the dealer. Going back to dealer.

The CSX gets 7 1/2 quarts of the Havoline bulk every 5,000 miles. The Ranger, my daily driver, gets 5 quarts every 3.000 miles or once a year. The once a year usually comes first.

The local Havoline place actually has some good car guys working there and I stand and talk with them while they service the vehicles I take there and they do it right.

I do all the bikes myself.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I used to change my own but now nope. Each car/truck is different. The Porsche gets 7 1/2 quarts of Mobile One 0-40 and one can of Liqui Moly 2009 every 5.000 miles. I provide the oil and filter and have a guy who changes it for $20. The rest I do myself. All my vehicles except the wet clutch motorcycles get the Liqui Moly.

The Bullitt gets Ford synthetic blend every 5,000 miles. Had been taking it to the dealer but took it to the Havoline place and it was more than the dealer. Going back to dealer.

The CSX gets 7 1/2 quarts of the Havoline bulk every 5,000 miles. The Ranger, my daily driver, gets 5 quarts every 3.000 miles or once a year. The once a year usually comes first.

The local Havoline place actually has some good car guys working there and I stand and talk with them while they service the vehicles I take there and they do it right.

I do all the bikes myself.
So your daily driver gets less than 3,000 miles per year?
And you change the oil in you Bullitt at 5,000? so, is that every two years? or more?

Bullitt08

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So your daily driver gets less than 3,000 miles per year?
And you change the oil in you Bullitt at 5,000? so, is that every two years? or more?
Yep on the DD. 1.3 miles to the office and everything else is just about as close. The others are road trip cars and get changed about once a year so far. I have had the Bullitt and the 996 two years and have put about 10,000 on each. The CSX gets used if it is just a straight highway only long road trip. Since I bought the Bullitt and 996 it has only been on two road trips one to South Bend and the other to Bowling Green. Both cases I was meeting up with some friends who were competing in the One Lap and wanted a good people hauler. Not sure how often I will change but going with annually ignoring mileage. I am now semi-retired and had planned on travelling more but the Covid kicked a hole in those plans. That should change soon. PS I will take the DD on semi (50 miles or so) long road trips to get the systems up to operating temps for a while.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep on the DD. 1.3 miles to the office and everything else is just about as close. The others are road trip cars and get changed about once a year so far. I have had the Bullitt and the 996 two years and have put about 10,000 on each. The CSX gets used if it is just a straight highway only long road trip. Since I bought the Bullitt and 996 it has only been on two road trips one to South Bend and the other to Bowling Green. Both cases I was meeting up with some friends who were competing in the One Lap and wanted a good people hauler. Not sure how often I will change but going with annually ignoring mileage. I am now semi-retired and had planned on travelling more but the Covid kicked a hole in those plans. That should change soon. PS I will take the DD on semi (50 miles or so) long road trips to get the systems up to operating temps for a while.
I would change it every 6 months just because of condensation...but hey, at the rate your going you won't have enough miles to do any damage anyway.

Bullitt08

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would change it every 6 months just because of condensation...but hey, at the rate your going you won't have enough miles to do any damage anyway.
Few people are aware of that problem and the need to periodically put some miles on their vehicle. So far has not been a wear problem.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why are you guys taking your car to get the oil changed?

I change my oil in 20 minutes and I'm sure cheaper than taking it to a place that may pull shady shit like this
I used to change my own, but theres a shop here with a good reputation, that does basic oil change for $10. I buy my own oil and filter and pay them $10 for labor.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Few people are aware of that problem and the need to periodically put some miles on their vehicle. So far has not been a wear problem.
Engines are so much tighter now, much less humidity gets in after a cool down for condensation to be as big a problem as it used to be.

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most cars now a day have an oil life indicator sytem. The car tells you how much life you have left in the oil. It's a nice feature.
You can adjust that "life" to extend it or shorten it. It's a preset. It can't tell you if the oil is dirty and needs changed.

Last edited:

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I take my truck to a specialty shop to get the oil and filters changed. Costs me about $135, three time a year.

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can adjust that "life" to extend it or shorten it. It's a outset. It can't tell you if the oil is dirty and needs changed.
Clarify? I've got oil change notifications at different mileages. One of those intervals had a couple longer road trips.

Edit. Just looked it up. Makes sense