• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Inside Rumors - signing, releases and priorities

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really doubt the team drafts a TE, at least in the early rounds. They do need more depth at some bigger positions like both lines and WR

If they cut Miller, that will leave the team with Luke Willson, Cooper Helfet and Travis Beckum under contract. That takes our TEs from being pretty solid to extremely thin.

Now, I love Willson's potential, but he was plagued with drops this year and he isn't a good blocker, yet. He needs more help than Helfet and Beckum at TE.

PistolHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they cut Miller, that will leave the team with Luke Willson, Cooper Helfet and Travis Beckum under contract. That takes our TEs from being pretty solid to extremely thin.

Now, I love Willson's potential, but he was plagued with drops this year and he isn't a good blocker, yet. He needs more help than Helfet and Beckum at TE.

What about Anthony McCoy? He was showing some promise in 2012 and I was hoping he took that next step this season before he tore his Achilles. I thought I heard something about him a couple weeks back.

Last edited by a moderator:

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blocking TE's tend to come pretty cheap on the open market down't they? I mean the pass catching TE's get the glory and the bigger contracts. Seems to me you draft for those more expensive and hard to get good FA pickups for. We NEED better talent and depth on both lines and at WR. All can be difficult or expensive to pickup FA's for.

That's just my 2c.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the love of god I still don't understand why people think we need to be prioritize getting a TE in free agency if we let Miller Go, Luke Willson has shown the potential to be better than Miller in my opinion. Also While I do agree our Offensive Line may need help next year but I really really really really really( cannot say really enough) like Michael Bowie and Alvin Bailey as part of our Offensive Line. They've done well in limited time and should have shots to be starters.

Just my opinion, however.

Willson may have shown potential last year, but that doesn't guarantee jack at this point. And he's not a blocking TE. Miller is a groin injury waiting to happen and moves at sloth speed once he catches any ball these days.

There is also no guarantees McCoy will be coming back and contribute much. I'd like to see Seahawks bring at least 1 to 2 TEs to camps that can block and catch. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if they drafted one in the first couple rounds either.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What about Anthony McCoy? He was showing some promise in 2012 and I was hoping he took that next step this season before he tore his Achilles. I thought I heard something about him a couple weeks back.

He's gonna be a free agent unless they re-sign him, which at this time they have not done.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like the cap will be Over 130 million after some more debate. The rumor was 127 million and now has grown to over 130 million. This is only good news for teams close to the cap. Which is pretty much the two best teams in the NFL in Seattle and San Fran. After thinking they would be a little more than 3 million under ( at the 126.7 million cap ) the Hawks are closer to over 7 mill under and have much more wiggle room when Rice ( 8.5 million ) is released and Clemons 7.5 ( with over 2 mill dead money coming off in 2015 ) is released.

Just those two moves would free up enough money alone to sign Thomas, Baldwin and Tate. The Hawks should have close to 25 million or more to sign those three and still have cap room after a lot of the fat is cut. Sherman is still in his last year and i see them either franchising him after this season or reworking a deal this off season. If the Hawks don't get something done with Sherman i can see a hold-out by him.

McDaniel and McDonald also are off the books and one of those guys will be returning. Miller's cap hit this year is 11 million. Yep, and if he is cut they save 4 million with 7 million in dead money ( ouch ) But looking to the future ( 2015 when that 7 million goes bye bye ) this might be the best move. just for info Do not be shocked if 2014 is Lynch's last season as a Hawk. Also on a side note, If Big Red is cut the savings this year are only 3 million but a whopping 10.6 million of dead money.

Breno being cut will save them 4 mill and we know he most likely is gone. McQuistian(sp) being released would save another 3 mill. As you can see with a few moves the Hawks will be sitting at around 35-45+ million UNDER the cap with another massive chunk of dead money coming off the books next year when they need to sign Russell and Sherman if that wasn't done before hand.

Last edited by a moderator:

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like the cap will be Over 130 million after some more debate. The rumor was 127 million and now has grown to over 130 million. This is only good news for teams close to the cap. Which is pretty much the two best teams in the NFL in Seattle and San Fran. After thinking they would be a little more than 3 million under ( at the 126.7 million cap ) the Hawks are closer to over 7 mill under and have much more wiggle room when Rice ( 8.5 million ) is released and Clemons 7.5 ( with over 2 mill dead money coming off in 2015 ) is released.

Just those two moves would free up enough money alone to sign Thomas, Baldwin and Tate. The Hawks should have close to 25 million or more to sign those three and still have cap room after a lot of the fat is cut. Sherman is still in his last year and i see them either franchising him after this season or reworking a deal this off season. If the Hawks don't get something done with Sherman i can see a hold-out by him.

McDaniel and McDonald also are off the books and one of those guys will be returning. Miller's cap hit this year is 11 million. Yep, and if he is cut they save 4 million with 7 million in dead money ( ouch ) But looking to the future ( 2015 when that 7 million goes bye bye ) this might be the best move. just for info Do not be shocked if 2014 is Lynch's last season as a Hawk. Also on a side note, If Big Red is cut the savings this year are only 3 million but a whopping 10.6 million of dead money.

Breno being cut will save them 4 mill and we know he most likely is gone. McQuistian(sp) being released would save another 3 mill. As you can see with a few moves the Hawks will be sitting at around 35-45+ million UNDER the cap with another massive chunk of dead money coming off the books next year when they need to sign Russell and Sherman if that wasn't done before hand.

Breno and McQuistan are both off the books already and will become free agents without being released or cut. That really means that them leaving doesn't save Seattle a penny.

Here's the savings Seattle would get if they cut these players with a $2 million or more cap number before June 1 (cap number in parenthasis and numbers in millions)-cap number saved, numbers in millions:

Percy Harvin ($13.4) - 3.8
Russell Okung (11.24) - 6.68
Chris Clemons (9.667) - 7.5
Cliff Avril (9.25) - 2
Red Bryant (8.5) - 5.5
Marshawn Lynch (7) - 4
Zach Miller (7) - 5
Max Unger (6.1) - 2.7
Kam Chancellor (5.825) - 1.825
Brandon Mebance (5.7) - 5.3
Earl Thomas (5.473) - 4.725
Bruce Irvin (2.547) - -0.70
James Carpenter (2.431) - 1.417

Seattle Seahawks Salary Cap - 2014 Breakdown - Seattle's cap situation (they've already accounted for Rice's cutting and use 132 as the cap number).

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some interesting analysis on how the 9ers may be targetting our CB FAs.

ComcastSportsBayArea - Matt Maiocco

Tarell Brown remains unsigned. And Carlos Rogers’ contract places his return to the 49ers as anything but a sure thing, too.

The 49ers figure to begin free agency with some holes at the cornerback position, but there are a lot of options on the open market, including two Seattle Seahawks.

The best fit for the 49ers off the Super Bowl champs is Walter Thurmond, 26, who has the added bonus of being able to play the slot. However, Thurmond might attract a lot of attention and a hefty salary on the open market.

Brandon Browner is eligible to sign with any team on Tuesday after announcing Tuesday he has been reinstated in a settlement with the NFL. The league suspended Browner in December for violating its substance-abuse policy and announced he'd be eligible to apply for reinstatement in one year.

Browner is a unique cornerback who plays a physical style in press coverage. It is unlikely he will command big bucks. He could end up being a good bargain signing.

And that could fit the 49ers’ approach this offseason. The 49ers’ plan does not figure to be much different than it was in 2011, when Rogers did not get the multi-year deal for which he hoped. He signed a one-year, $4.25 million deal with the 49ers. Rogers ended up playing well and signed a new multi-year contract after that season. But his scheduled $6.6 million pay for this season makes his return uncertain.

With a talented group of cornerbacks ready to hit the open market, including Brown, there should be some bargains after the initial wave of signings. The 49ers signed Tramaine Brock to a four-year, $14 million extension in November. The 49ers appear open to providing Brown with a similar deal.