• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Inside Rumors - signing, releases and priorities

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok this is what the rumor is and most of you know part of it.

Rice ( 9.7 million ) is likely gone and Miller ( over 5 million ) if he doesn't restructure also will be gone. Now if Both those players are released the Hawks will use that Money On Thomas, Tate and Bennett all three are priority signings. The Team will match any offer to Baldwin unless its over 5 million.

Ok now some of you might think "that's not enough to sign all three" and you are right. They will be parting ways with more than a couple Olineman and Dlineman. This will make a few of you happy ( me included/ the oline part) Also Clemons most likely is done here even though he had a strong finish to the season. ( lets not forget he had ACL surgery people ) Red Bryant who is due 4.5 mill with a 3 mill roster bonus also coming very well could be released unless he restructures. With the players being or most likely being released the Hawks will free up around 20 million cap space.

When all is said and done and the Hawks trim the "fat" this team should be able to sign Baldwin, Tate, Thomas, Bennett, Sherman and still have a lot of wiggle room for FA and draft picks.

Remember my wife works in accounting, accounts payable, salaries :) She gave me an estimated cap space if things go the way the rumors say they will.

I guess their is more wiggle room than most can see or expected because of the money coming off the books, players that were 1 year deals that are not coming back and were only "fillers"

I will be just a little bummed If Red Bryant is released but he is playing out of position on our team anyway. He would be better suited for a role in a 3-4 line as a DE.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Miller is cut then we almost have to draft a TE in the 1st or 2nd round. It would be a shame, I think he still has a lot left and does a great job blocking.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I pretty much agree with your whole post. I think Rice and Clem are definitely gone. Bryant is most likely gone before his roster bonus kicks in. Losing Bryant would be tough as he is a leader and team captain but his best days are behind him. PC/JS have proven being a team leader isnt enough and that you have to be able to perform at a high level. They have cut guys like Milloy, Tatupu and Robinson while letting Hasselbeck walk over the years despite them being leaders.
Miller is the one guy who I think would potentially accept a paycut but that is never something I would count on. I do hope Miller is back but his cap number is tough so I would understand

DunceKaep

Trolling 45, it's EASY.
Hoopla Cash
$ 663.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Miller is cut then we almost have to draft a TE in the 1st or 2nd round. It would be a shame, I think he still has a lot left and does a great job blocking.

Or JIIIIMMMY Grahammmmmmm. YUM.

Let go a few and PAY
JG.

Thoughts?:suds:

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Don't forget that Anthony McCoy is coming back after his injury. He is a solid blocker and was getting better as a pass catching TE before he got hurt. I think the Hawks believe paying Miller the amount he is being paid is to steep, I would agree with this. He is not a threat in the passing game all though he is a great pass catcher. His speed has deteriorated so far that 300+ pound Dlineman can catch him. I was hoping this past off season that the speed he had lost ( what little he had ) had returned because he looked so fit in training camp, it didn't and he looked slower than ever. We saw over the course of the season that he is a complementary piece not a building block, So i believe his price is way bloated for that role.

This is the place the Hawks are now. They can not afford to keep over priced and older "complementary" pieces. As a long time fan as many of you are the next couple of years will be tough seeing players leave. But there is some good news. Because of the massive overturning of the roster that Pete and Company have done there really is no "long time" players left on this team. This makes parting ways with them much easier than say someone that has been a corner stone for 8+ years.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Let go a few and PAY
JG.

He will be tagged making it a 1st round pick to even sign him then his salary will be pretty large. The Price of losing a 1st and his salary seems a little steep. Seattle showed how to shut him down and more teams will be able to do that now. Let him play his 1 year on the Tag and i bet his season in 2014 will not be as good as this past season lowering his price. Then i would say go after him as a FA.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't forget that Anthony McCoy is coming back after his injury. He is a solid blocker and was getting better as a pass catching TE before he got hurt. I think the Hawks believe paying Miller the amount he is being paid is to steep, I would agree with this. He is not a threat in the passing game all though he is a great pass catcher. His speed has deteriorated so far that 300+ pound Dlineman can catch him. I was hoping this past off season that the speed he had lost ( what little he had ) had returned because he looked so fit in training camp, it didn't and he looked slower than ever. We saw over the course of the season that he is a complementary piece not a building block, So i believe his price is way bloated for that role.

This is the place the Hawks are now. They can not afford to keep over priced and older "complementary" pieces. As a long time fan as many of you are the next couple of years will be tough seeing players leave. But there is some good news. Because of the massive overturning of the roster that Pete and Company have done there really is no "long time" players left on this team. This makes parting ways with them much easier than say someone that has been a corner stone for 8+ years.

McCoy is a free agent also. Shouldn't be to hard to resign him however.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok this is what the rumor is and most of you know part of it.

Rice ( 9.7 million ) is likely gone and Miller ( over 5 million ) if he doesn't restructure also will be gone. Now if Both those players are released the Hawks will use that Money On Thomas, Tate and Bennett all three are priority signings. The Team will match any offer to Baldwin unless its over 5 million.

Ok now some of you might think "that's not enough to sign all three" and you are right. They will be parting ways with more than a couple Olineman and Dlineman. This will make a few of you happy ( me included/ the oline part) Also Clemons most likely is done here even though he had a strong finish to the season. ( lets not forget he had ACL surgery people ) Red Bryant who is due 4.5 mill with a 3 mill roster bonus also coming very well could be released unless he restructures. With the players being or most likely being released the Hawks will free up around 20 million cap space.

When all is said and done and the Hawks trim the "fat" this team should be able to sign Baldwin, Tate, Thomas, Bennett, Sherman and still have a lot of wiggle room for FA and draft picks.

Remember my wife works in accounting, accounts payable, salaries :) She gave me an estimated cap space if things go the way the rumors say they will.

I guess their is more wiggle room than most can see or expected because of the money coming off the books, players that were 1 year deals that are not coming back and were only "fillers"

I will be just a little bummed If Red Bryant is released but he is playing out of position on our team anyway. He would be better suited for a role in a 3-4 line as a DE.

Mmmm, Sherman and Thomas will eat up about an additional 15,000,000 in cap to resign IMO. Don't forget the Seahawks need to put some money aside to resign Wilson the following year.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Let go a few and PAY
JG.

No thanks, but I can understand many wanting him on their team.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who would you rather have, Bennett or Bryant?
More importantly, who would JS and PC rather have?
All things being relatively equal, of course.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Weren't they about 1m under the cap coming into this off season as well? That can't hurt. You can use a lot more wiggle room on deferred salaries if you aren't already back loaded on dead money. If they can come out fairly clean this year they should still have room for Wilson next year without having to dump a lot of players, but they will be back loading to get it done.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mmmm, Sherman and Thomas will eat up about an additional 15,000,000 in cap to resign IMO. Don't forget the Seahawks need to put some money aside to resign Wilson the following year.

I'm pretty sure that they don't need to worry about Sherman this year. He's in the same boat as Wilson which means he can't earn any more than he is right now for the upcoming year due to the 3 year rookie maximum salaries the league imposed. It's next year that he and Wilson will need to be dealt with.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm pretty sure that they don't need to worry about Sherman this year. He's in the same boat as Wilson which means he can't earn any more than he is right now for the upcoming year due to the 3 year rookie maximum salaries the league imposed. It's next year that he and Wilson will need to be dealt with.

Actually, Sherman has already played 3 seasons, so his contract could be extended. I expect Sherman to understnad business enough to understand why the Seahawks are taking the route they are taking. There's even a good chance that the front office has already discussed with him the reasons they are taking this strategy. Either way, I haven't heard Sherman complaining about his contract status, though I could have just missed it.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, Sherman has already played 3 seasons, so his contract could be extended. I expect Sherman to understnad business enough to understand why the Seahawks are taking the route they are taking. There's even a good chance that the front office has already discussed with him the reasons they are taking this strategy. Either way, I haven't heard Sherman complaining about his contract status, though I could have just missed it.

So it turns out that you are right. Sherman has played enough years to get out from the rookie maximum's. However he still has one year left on his existing contract at $1.39M for the upcoming season. It is very likely the team will renegotiate that however and Sherman will get his payday before this season starts. I suppose its possible the team could force him to play out his contract, but that may lead him to sit out and hold out. I think the team realizes his importance and he is a fan favorite so they'll probably just get a deal done and move on.

FirebreathingMonkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Trust me if Sherman had complained about his contract you'd know. Espn would have a breaking news the world is going to end Sherman unhappy, than they'd go though a list of 31 teams saying where will he land? Will his teammates be able to handle him and how will teams handle the distraction that is Sherman, What would he look like as a Jet, Cowboy, Redskin. It would be all they talked about. And seeing as how the media was getting pissed near the end of the Super Bowl media week because he didn't say anything I feel 100% confident we'd all know by now. :L

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trust me if Sherman had complained about his contract you'd know. Espn would have a breaking news the world is going to end Sherman unhappy, than they'd go though a list of 31 teams saying where will he land? Will his teammates be able to handle him and how will teams handle the distraction that is Sherman, What would he look like as a Jet, Cowboy, Redskin. It would be all they talked about. And seeing as how the media was getting pissed near the end of the Super Bowl media week because he didn't say anything I feel 100% confident we'd all know by now. :L

Everything you said is accurate

dumbrabbit

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the love of god I still don't understand why people think we need to be prioritize getting a TE in free agency if we let Miller Go, Luke Willson has shown the potential to be better than Miller in my opinion. Also While I do agree our Offensive Line may need help next year but I really really really really really( cannot say really enough) like Michael Bowie and Alvin Bailey as part of our Offensive Line. They've done well in limited time and should have shots to be starters.

Just my opinion, however.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the love of god I still don't understand why people think we need to be prioritize getting a TE in free agency if we let Miller Go, Luke Willson has shown the potential to be better than Miller in my opinion. Also While I do agree our Offensive Line may need help next year but I really really Line.really really really( cannot say really enough) like Michael Bowie and Alvin Bailey as part of our Offensive They've done well in limited time and should have shots to be starters.

Just my opinion, however.

You say this because when the Seahawks starters were down the OL did such a outstanding jobs with the backups? I'm hoping these two round out to be good, but lets not get cared away here.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to agree with dumbrabbit why is everyone so high on getting a TE its not like miller was a huge deal in the offense other than blocking and being used in the redzone. in 3 years he has caught 8 touchdowns this offense doesnt really use the TE position were always out there with 3 and 4 WR sets if anything with sidney eventually getting cut and percy harvin being very injury prone another WR would be our priority than TE

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really doubt the team drafts a TE, at least in the early rounds. They do need more depth at some bigger positions like both lines and WR