• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I'm Shocked about Claiborne

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cowboys don't pick up option for CB Morris Claiborne
The Dallas Cowboys, as expected, passed on picking up a fifth-year option on cornerback Morris Claiborne's contract.

Had the Cowboys picked up the option, Claiborne would have been due $11.08 million in 2016.

Dallas Cowboys don't pick up option for CB Morris Claiborne

This is his last chance to show what he can/can't do. Hope he makes the best of it.

CarlSr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He'd be wise to do his absolute best out there, no matter what role he plays. I guess we'll see soon enough if he understands that.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's so shocking about this? That the option wasn't picked up? Claiborne has played like a bum on the rare occasion he hasn't been injured -- IMO he isn't worth 1/3rd of that 5th year option.

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Claiborne is turning into a very expensive version of Matt Johnson. Although Mo has played where Johnson was never on the field. Expensive Miss in the Draft but everybody else had him ranked high also. It just sux that he looks to be a bust. I wish him well and hope he proves this year what he has talent wise. If not he is gone

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember thinking our secondary issues were over with when we signed Carr and drafted Claiborne. Here we are 4 years later with the same problem.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember thinking our secondary issues were over with when we signed Carr and drafted Claiborne. Here we are 4 years later with the same problem.

Claiborne has been a massive disappointment. I won't sit here and say it was a bad move at the time -- I was ecstatic about the trade up -- but it sure has backfired on Dallas. Just one of those things...

Carr, while disappointing, has been about as good as he was in Kansas City. Just look at his production compared to his KC years. The difference is, in K.C. Carr was the second CB and Flowers was the guy who drew all the toughest assignments (for the most part). K.C. also had a much better overall defense surrounding Carr, including a pair of quality Safeties. Carr's best seasons happened with Eric Berry playing Safety for K.C.. Coincidence? I don't think so...

The Carr signing sits squarely on Jerry's shoulders. That was the last bad contract Dallas gave out that I can remember, ever since then it seems Stephen Jones has been handling the financials.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Claiborne has been a massive disappointment. I won't sit here and say it was a bad move at the time -- I was ecstatic about the trade up -- but it sure has backfired on Dallas. Just one of those things...

Carr, while disappointing, has been about as good as he was in Kansas City. Just look at his production compared to his KC years. The difference is, in K.C. Carr was the second CB and Flowers was the guy who drew all the toughest assignments (for the most part). K.C. also had a much better overall defense surrounding Carr, including a pair of quality Safeties. Carr's best seasons happened with Eric Berry playing Safety for K.C.. Coincidence? I don't think so...

The Carr signing sits squarely on Jerry's shoulders. That was the last bad contract Dallas gave out that I can remember, ever since then it seems Stephen Jones has been handling the financials.
I think Carr and Claiborne would have been fine...if the Cowboys hadn't switched schemes. Now in the long run, I think it's the right move, but if you signed guys and drafted them to fit Rob Ryans attacking 3-4, it's certainly not a given that they'll be a fit in Rod's 4-3

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Carr and Claiborne would have been fine...if the Cowboys hadn't switched schemes. Now in the long run, I think it's the right move, but if you signed guys and drafted them to fit Rob Ryans attacking 3-4, it's certainly not a given that they'll be a fit in Rod's 4-3

Agreed. That was a big topic of conversation when they let Ryan go. It was very short sighted of Dallas to make those moves at the time. But that was Jerry being Jerry. Before these last few years it seemed Dallas was just throwing shit at the wall to see what stuck. Now there is a clearly defined plan and an identity to this team.

I'm a big fan of Stephen Jones, and I think these last few years are more a reflection of him taking more control than Jerry all of a sudden figuring it out.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO Clairorne's main issue was never being healthy, not the scheme he was in. He just never got the reps to learn his position.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Claiborne is turning into a very expensive version of Matt Johnson. Although Mo has played where Johnson was never on the field. Expensive Miss in the Draft but everybody else had him ranked high also. It just sux that he looks to be a bust. I wish him well and hope he proves this year what he has talent wise. If not he is gone

not picking up his 5th year option is smart especially at 11M and if he plays well this season and stays healthy then the Cowboys can always re-sign him for a lot less than 11 M

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not picking up his 5th year option is smart especially at 11M and if he plays well this season and stays healthy then the Cowboys can always re-sign him for a lot less than 11 M
You can get a pretty good player for $11 million lol

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can get a pretty good player for $11 million lol

he hasn't shown that he is even a good player so even if he performs this year and escapes the injury bug he will not qualify for close to 11M. if he has a good year, a 2 or 3 year contract at 3 to 4 million a year should be the best he can hope for.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to see them with a good to great pass rush, be fair here, the pass rush at best has been average since they have both been with us not to mention Mo has been injured the entire time.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we all need to look at this subjectively and realize that since Dallas has had Carr and Mo they have been at best 20th in NFL in sacks, which is not good at all for a NFL team, put it this way, Carr was not good at all the early to mid part of this year when we had 28 sacks total this year. Think about that, Buffalo who had 54 sacks this year lead the NFL in sacks. Not saying having more sacks leads to better CB play always, but it is unfair to judge these players until we get at least a top 10-15 team in sacks to say if Mo is a bust or if Carr is good or bad.

One more point, Seahawks were 20th in NFL this year in sacks with 37 and Sherman did not look as good as last year, as a result Sherman looked great in 2013 where the Seahawks were 8th in NFL in sacks with 44. I'd like to keep these guys unless the right trade comes along and see how they do this year as I believe our D willl be a major strength this year on the front 7, then if all else fails cut and let go if it doesn't work out.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to see them with a good to great pass rush, be fair here, the pass rush at best has been average since they have both been with us not to mention Mo has been injured the entire time.

I think the injury problem is the bigger issue for Mo. He has been hurt every offseason and every season. He just can't get the playing time. But, he needs to play better when he does get on the file. Also, CBs need to be able to cover with or without a pass rush. The best pass rush won't always get there and the worst will at times. If you really want to be fair on the topic we also need to point out that with better coverage this team would have had a lot more sacks. The hot read is always open and when guys do get near the QB the secondary has made it too easy to complete the pass. I read something on Crawford where he had a crazy number of plays where he was one step away from the QB. Yes, he and the other DL need to finish off those almost sacks, but the secondary also needs to hold their coverage longer so they can get there. The two groups work together and if one doesn't do their job it doesn't matter if the other does or not.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The faster you can get weak minded people like Mo to his contract year, the better. Look for an All-Pro year out of Claiborne. Or at least a healthy preseason...for once.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The faster you can get weak minded people like Mo to his contract year, the better. Look for an All-Pro year out of Claiborne. Or at least a healthy preseason...for once.
100% agree. I think Mo will be fantastic this year. And I don't think enough was made of last year being Murray's contract year. If it had come up at the end of the previous season, would anyone have offered him $8 million total, let alone per year?