• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I'm glad we can all agree that Jabril Peppers is the best defensive player in the country

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Peppers is really good IMO, with that said, I could still see about 5/6 guys on the defensive side of the ball drafted before him. He's still a mid 1st round type of guy IMO. Anywhere from 12-20 or so I'd say.

I agree with this -- I'd say based on the fact, he will move to his natural position at Safety -- I'm not sure you see a team spending a top 10 pick on that position, unless they play on using him in a hybrid role, where he moves to LB in some sets.

The one thing Peppers has going for him -- He will test off the charts at the combine. So it wouldn't surprise me in the least bit to see someone fall in love with him and take him in the top 10, especially if a team like SD, Tennessee or even the Lions have a premier position player drafted before the pick gets to them that they wanted.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I should say this though -- while I favor Jourdan Lewis over Peppers in college. I think Peppers is the better pro prospect. In the NFL -- you have to deal with some absolute monsters on the outside at CB and Lewis isn't small, but at 5'11" and only 175 lbs -- it'll take some time to get used to playing against NFL WR's.

Peppers will be able to come in on day 1 and be ready to contribute at a high level from the safety position or return game.

hailtoyourvictor

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with this -- I'd say based on the fact, he will move to his natural position at Safety -- I'm not sure you see a team spending a top 10 pick on that position, unless they play on using him in a hybrid role, where he moves to LB in some sets.

The one thing Peppers has going for him -- He will test off the charts at the combine. So it wouldn't surprise me in the least bit to see someone fall in love with him and take him in the top 10, especially if a team like SD, Tennessee or even the Lions have a premier position player drafted before the pick gets to them that they wanted.

Deone Bucannon has set the blueprint for what Peppers will likely be drafted as IMO.

BTSBuckeye

Old-School ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jabril Peppers is most certainly a dominant OLB. That isn't even debatable. He isn't going to rack up the tackle stats that ILB's do because he spends so much time in coverage due to his versatility. This is not a negative, it is a positive.

He's on pace for 20+ TFL as an OLB in a 4-3 scheme despite having to be used to coverage more than your typical LB. That is impressive, but I'm not surprised you won't concede that.

This is Jabril Pepper's defensive production for the 3 years he's been at Michigan.

86 total tackles, 13 tackles for loss, 2 sacks, and 0 interceptions.

Where's the dominance .... at any position?

BTSBuckeye

Old-School ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's look at Raekwon Mcmillan's 3 year Ohio State career thus far (Drops back into coverage much like Peppers often)

200 total tackles, 13 tackles for loss, 4 sacks, 1 interception, 1 forced fumble.

Now let me list Ryan Shaziers 3 year stats at Ohio State.

317 total tackles, 45.5 tackles for loss, 15 sacks, 1 interception, 5 forced fumbles.

Last edited:

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is Jabril Pepper's defensive production for the 3 years he's been at Michigan.

86 total tackles, 13 tackles for loss, 2 sacks, and 0 interceptions.

Where's the dominance .... at any position?

WOW -- you do know Peppers didn't play pretty much at all in year 1 because of an injury, right (this is why he is a redshirt sophomore)? And you do know, he didn't play LB last year at all, right?

If so, why in the world would you be comparing Ryan Shazier to Peppers, when 1 played 3 years at LB and one has played 5 games total "at LB" (and in those 5 games, he doesn't even stay at LB the whole time)?

Eco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,396.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Peppers is good, Jonathan Allen is Elite.

BTSBuckeye

Old-School ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WOW -- you do know Peppers didn't play pretty much at all in year 1 because of an injury, right (this is why he is a redshirt sophomore)? And you do know, he didn't play LB last year at all, right?

If so, why in the world would you be comparing Ryan Shazier to Peppers, when 1 played 3 years at LB and one has played 5 games total "at LB" (and in those 5 games, he doesn't even stay at LB the whole time)?

So in 5 games, he's become a dominant LB?

Pick a position, and I'll compare Peppers to other dominant players at the position ....
You can't pick one ... and that's the point.

He isn't a dominant ANYTHING ... he's a jack of all trades (aKa an athlete).

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Deone Bucannon has set the blueprint for what Peppers will likely be drafted as IMO.

While I don't argue -- it'll all depend on the defensive schemes used by the team's drafting. Many teams don't want a safety to move down to LB and back to safety, etc. and would rather they just perfect the position they were drafted to play.

I agree, he will be high on the list for teams looking for a player like that, but not every team is.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Pick a position, and I'll compare Peppers to other dominant players at the position ....

You don't hear me calling him dominant anything. I'm also not foolish enough to post the stats from someone who played LB for 3 years and a player who has played parts of 5 games and say, see, he isn't any good.

He has been great at LB for UM. He leads all LB's in TFL, while playing parts of each game at safety and CB. For someone who hadn't played the position before -- It is impressive.

I'm not sure what you expect to get out of this. The guy was named to some All-American teams last year as a safety. He was moved to LB and he has excelled so far. I'm not saying he is better than anyone, especially someone who plays in the NFL and his entire college career at LB, like Shazier.

And I'm already on record saying, if I had a choice, I'd take Jourdan Lewis as the best player on UM's defense. But it is just my personal opinion, because to me, a shut down corner is more valuable to a team.

And before you go look up stats on Lewis and Stribbling (the other CB on UM) -- I'm sure Stribbling has more tackles, he has played all 5 games -- Lewis didn't play the 1st 3 games. And Stribbling will have more interceptions and pass breakups, etc. Teams rarely test Lewis's side of the field -- he has more interceptions (1), than passes completed against him (0).

BTSBuckeye

Old-School ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I responded to a poster that stated Pepper's WAS a dominant LB. You responded to my reply to him.

I simply posted what dominant stats look like.

And I don't get the whole "he was safety last year and now a LB, has to play all over the field" argument. There are plenty of defenders who play the STAR position (which is the hybrid safety/lb position). Pepper's is not inventing the wheel here ...

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OP clearly fits right in with the other UofM fans on here.

Is it possible that he's actually @MAIZEandBLUE09's long lost twin?
I'm not going to lie, when I saw it this morning I thought it was something I posted that had been bumped.

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who?

hailtoyourvictor

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You can't pick one ... and that's the point.

He isn't a dominant ANYTHING ... he's a jack of all trades (aKa an athlete).

Peppers is a dominant OLB. Period.

hailtoyourvictor

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I responded to a poster that stated Pepper's WAS a dominant LB. You responded to my reply to him.

I simply posted what dominant stats look like.

And I don't get the whole "he was safety last year and now a LB, has to play all over the field" argument. There are plenty of defenders who play the STAR position (which is the hybrid safety/lb position). Pepper's is not inventing the wheel here ...

Okay, compare Peppers to other players that play the STAR position then. Stop doing these apples to oranges comparisons. Thanks.

BigFin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to see what Derwin James would've done this year.

hailtoyourvictor

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And regardless, stats don't always tell the whole story.

@BTSBuckeye thoughts on Myles Garrett? How many DE in the country do you think are better than Garrett?

BTSBuckeye

Old-School ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, compare Peppers to other players that play the STAR position then. Stop doing these apples to oranges comparisons. Thanks.

I already did. Raekwon McMillan plays the star position.

hailtoyourvictor

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well if you say so .... must be true.

Avatar bet. Peppers is an end-of-season All-American.

I'll even let you pick your favorite source (ESPN/CBS/SportingNews/SBNation/Athlon/etc.) so you can't cry about it being biased or a bad source.