• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I'm glad we can all agree that Jabril Peppers is the best defensive player in the country

BTSBuckeye

Old-School ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you are lining up all over, you aren't going to lead any position. If he is getting 60% of snaps at LB, he is going to outproduce guys playing 100% of snaps at LB. Same goes for CB or safety.

It'd be like saying De'veon Smith and Curtis Samuel are the same RB because one has rushed for 328 yards and one has rushed for 325 yards.

Do you think he's a dominant LB, CB, and Safety? Because I don't ... and that's my point.
Again, it would be different if he was a top LB who when put in the secondary becomes a lock down corner.

But he's not ...

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure other people have already said it, but I will too: He's not even the best player on his own defense. Jourdain Lewis is a much better player.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you think he's a dominant LB, CB, and Safety? Because I don't ... and that's my point.
Again, it would be different if he was a top LB who when put in the secondary becomes a lock down corner.

But he's not ...

He was named to some all-American teams last year as a safety. I do not see him being a CB. He was moved to LB because UM had nothing coming back. For someone who hadn't played LB, I'd say he has been tremendous and is one of the reasons UM has been so good defensively.

Personally, I don't think he is even the best player on UM's defense. I think Jourdan Lewis is and if I had a choice between the two, I'd take Lewis.

BTSBuckeye

Old-School ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was named to some all-American teams last year as a safety. I do not see him being a CB. He was moved to LB because UM had nothing coming back. For someone who hadn't played LB, I'd say he has been tremendous and is one of the reasons UM has been so good defensively.

Personally, I don't think he is even the best player on UM's defense. I think Jourdan Lewis is and if I had a choice between the two, I'd take Lewis.

Agreed

Buckpr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still paying on the ex Russian wife. This here is my future ex Ukrainian wife. She speaks decent English.

72d2db3590.jpg

You are not still paying her alimony are you? Please tell me that is a friggen joke cousin!

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He actually spells his name "Malik Hooker". Close, though.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are not still paying her alimony are you? Please tell me that is a friggen joke cousin!
I just finished paying off my lawyer bills and her car. I think I'm done paying .. I hope anyways.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just defensively, nah. A little overhyped, well that is a typical great scUM player. They don't come around too often.

hailtoyourvictor

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's why I think you have to take these mock drafts with a grain of salt this early. He's the type of player that could easily slide down in the draft because teams don't like to get creative. He HAS to have top production at one position or another to guarantee a high draft pick.

If he's just a jack of all trades by years end ... he's not going to be drafted that high. Teams generally don't spend a first round pick on someone who isn't highly productive at the position of need. Really it just depends on his entire body of work ... it's too early.

Humor me. Where do you project Peppers getting drafted?

hailtoyourvictor

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Peppers is good but Derwin James (when healthy) and Myles Garrett are better.

Don't tell BTSBuckeye that Myles Garrett is a top tier defensive player.

Peppers:
Tackles - 25
TFL - 9.5
Sacks - 2.0

Garrett:
Tackles - 6
TFL - 5.0
Sacks - 3.0

hailtoyourvictor

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I said, he's one of the better athletes. But his defensive production (regardless where he is on the field) is average. It would be one thing if he was making those tackles as a LB and then making big plays in the secondary ... but he's not.

Being able to line up anywhere in the back seven is different than lining up in the back seven and being a dominant player at each position. It's hard to say he's the best defensive player in the country when he isn't the best player at any defensive position.

It's not like he's leading the country in tackles AND pass breakups or something of that sort.

9.5 TFL in 5 games for an OLB in a 4-3 scheme is really, really good. Saying otherwise would make you sound stupid. He is unquestionably the best OLB in the country.

8085sooner

Homeboard Troll
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Myles Garrett has something to say about being the best. He's only problem was picking aTm over OU. I think every draft board has him as the #1 pick. js

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Peppers is really good IMO, with that said, I could still see about 5/6 guys on the defensive side of the ball drafted before him. He's still a mid 1st round type of guy IMO. Anywhere from 12-20 or so I'd say.

hailtoyourvictor

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Myles Garrett has something to say about being the best. He's only problem was picking aTm over OU. I think every draft board has him as the #1 pick. js

Peppers might be one of the best athletes in the country but his production on defense doesn't warrant "best in the country".

He's ranked #13 in the B1G in tackles, #19 in sacks, #2 in tackles for loss, and 0 interceptions with 5 games under his belt when most have only 4.

That's pretty average for a B1G defender, let alone nationally ...

I agree that Myles Garrett is worth consideration for that title. However, BTSBuckeye assured us that Peppers' production doesn't warrant "best in the country" so that would disqualify Garrett, too.

Peppers:
Tackles - 25
TFL - 9.5
Sacks - 2.0

Garrett:
Tackles - 6
TFL - 5.0
Sacks - 3.0

hailtoyourvictor

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But he's not ...

Jabril Peppers is most certainly a dominant OLB. That isn't even debatable. He isn't going to rack up the tackle stats that ILB's do because he spends so much time in coverage due to his versatility. This is not a negative, it is a positive.

He's on pace for 20+ TFL as an OLB in a 4-3 scheme despite having to be used to coverage more than your typical LB. That is impressive, but I'm not surprised you won't concede that.