• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

If the "N" word is so offensive..

hockey878

Hoopla Cash
$ 300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
then why are so many black players upset it is being banned.

Im not saying i think its a good rule or something that can be consistently enforced.

My question is why so many black players are upset that a word that is supposedly so derogatory and offensive is being banned.

Wasn't Riley Cooper just thrown under the bus by many of his black teammates for using it? Now why is it bad that the NFL doesn't want it used during games?

Hypocritical if you ask me.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I suppose they need to implement a double standard clause to make everyone happy.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Im not saying i think its a good rule or something that can be consistently enforced.

My question is why so many black players are upset that a word that is supposedly so derogatory and offensive is being banned.

Wasn't Riley Cooper just thrown under the bus by many of his black teammates for using it? Now why is it bad that the NFL doesn't want it used during games?

There's no denying the derogatory and offensive nature of the word, but at the end of the day there is some subjectivity depending on who you are dealing with. You could call one woman the b word and get slapped, and another might give you a high five, but it still a negative word.

Banning it...does seem OTT, I can see the NFL just wanting to clean up it's image.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like what Richard Sherman had to say: Why target just one word? Why not ban all curse words?

Red_Chaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like what Richard Sherman had to say: Why target just one word? Why not ban all curse words?

whos gonna be in charge of deciding whats a curse word and whats not? Seems impossible to ban all of the words when the meaning of that word can change in an instant.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's dumb. This is more then a curse word , it has a deeper meaning.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is such a difficult word, obviously blacks have zero issue with tossing it around when talking about each other, I see it weekly. However, if a different race uses the term, we are dealing with almost immediate physical altercations.

I don't understand it. I understand why the double standard, but not the continued use of the word between folks of color. If it is offensive, then it is offensive. Lets remove it from everyone's vocabulary, let that lousy word die from the English language.

leftypower

THE NFL HAS GONE TO HELL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The short answer in this overly politically sensitive country is 'context'. As such there are many, many words that can be used in a negative or demeaning context. Asshole can be spoken in anger or a negative reflection of character - - just friends joking around. What disturbs me is singling out specific words whereas other are not.
If the NFL truly wants to be politically correct then have penalties for cursing or use of any word that is considered gender specific. The game will then be decided by how well they hear and last another hour or so. So what happens if the banned words are spoken but the ref doesn't hear and someone is offended ? I guess they will be penalized for bad hearing. .... what a world.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is all media and hollywood hype. A word doesn't require banning on the football field. The players work everything out on the field and then in the locker room. They don't need us policing what they run off at the mouth about on the field.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is that they are specifically targetting ONE word as opposed to ALL offensive words.

There are two issues with this - one, a rule that primarily targets ONE group in the league - the black players. We all know they are the ones primarily using the word, so we're now creating a rule that only realistically applies to them. Thats discriminatory.

Second issue - and this one is a little deeper - is that, on the face of it, this is hypocritical. You have a word that is derogatory to blacks - CREATED by whites - yet you want whites to police the use of it???

The entire rule is just stupid. I'm not against not using that word......I just don't think this is a valid way to go about it.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is that they are specifically targetting ONE word as opposed to ALL offensive words.

There are two issues with this - one, a rule that primarily targets ONE group in the league - the black players. We all know they are the ones primarily using the word, so we're now creating a rule that only realistically applies to them. Thats discriminatory.

Second issue - and this one is a little deeper - is that, on the face of it, this is hypocritical. You have a word that is derogatory to blacks - CREATED by whites - yet you want whites to police the use of it???

The entire rule is just stupid. I'm not against not using that word......I just don't think this is a valid way to go about it.

One of the main reasons that this is being implemented was due to this term being used by Trent Williams a black player for the Redskins using this word as part of a tirade against a black ref. My understanding is that this is a much an attempt to discourage this word against refs than it is against players. If that is the case - how about showing some balls and stop allowing players and coaches to go on these non-stop tirades against the refs? Leagues like the NBA don't tolerate this type of behavior. The NFL almost encourages it & allows over-the-top personalities like Harbaugh and Schwartz to act like morons. Enough already.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the main reasons that this is being implemented was due to this term being used by Trent Williams a black player for the Redskins using this word as part of a tirade against a black ref. My understanding is that this is a much an attempt to discourage this word against refs than it is against players. If that is the case - how about showing some balls and stop allowing players and coaches to go on these non-stop tirades against the refs? Leagues like the NBA don't tolerate this type of behavior. The NFL almost encourages it & allows over-the-top personalities like Harbaugh and Schwartz to act like morons. Enough already.

That doesn't mean it requires banning. Throw a flag then ref. T him up the second time if it bothers the official.

There's more than one way to abuse a ref and the official can throw a flag at any time he believes a player has crossed the line. A specific list of words is not required.

Now what are we going to have....everytime a player hollers the N word, what...we get a flag? Or does the league waste time reviewing games listening for the word to figure out who said it and fine them???

What a huge waste of time. If people choose to use a word between them...why give a shit. Let the players work out the language and let the officials decide when a player crossed the line for mouthing off.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then the third issue is also that whites already get in trouble for using the word and it would be hypocritical in a sense to not ban the word.

Getting away from politics and getting towards what is good for the game, I'm not sure I see the point to the rule. Last thing the NFL needs is more penalties.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then the third issue is also that whites already get in trouble for using the word and it would be hypocritical in a sense to not ban the word.

Getting away from politics and getting towards what is good for the game, I'm not sure I see the point to the rule. Last thing the NFL needs is more penalties.

Which is my first point......whites are not using this term on the field, it would be career suicide.

So you have a rule that is going to affect only one group of players......the black ones. Hence, why it's basically discriminatory.

I agree, it's also quite stupid of a rule. I have no problem with society as a whole eliminating that word, but none of us has that power.

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How would you do an instant replay on it? Would it be like one of those silly super slo mo replays of the player spouting off and a lip reader under the hood with a real gurgled slow mo sound track. Kind of difficult to hear everything with the crowd noise and helmets. Greeeeeeen Eigggghhhhteeeeen Greeeeen Eigggghhhteeen. What the hell did that go just call me.

MichMafia

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is such a difficult word, obviously blacks have zero issue with tossing it around when talking about each other, I see it weekly. However, if a different race uses the term, we are dealing with almost immediate physical altercations.

I don't understand it. I understand why the double standard, but not the continued use of the word between folks of color. If it is offensive, then it is offensive. Lets remove it from everyone's vocabulary, let that lousy word die from the English language.

:agree::clap:

LucklessPadresFan

Creedence Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not hypocritical, just ignorant.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they end up banning words ,I would like to add the word 'Goodell'. It is offensive to me. Also...is ESPN a word? I would like that banned as well.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Considering the very recent and very embarrassing way that blacks were treated in this country... its hard to find fault with any sensitivity they feel about the word... either direction.

While I agree that the continued use of the word within the black community actually fosters racism... I also understand how the NFL calling out 1 specific racial slur that is commonly used in black culture could be interpreted as racist itself.