• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

If Jordan Lynch doesn't get an invite they should stop giving out the award.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ahh come on. Two things about that.

Monte Ball took Heisman votes away from Wilson, he had an uphill climb.

Wiscosin lost @MSU and @OSU in back to back weeks. That pretty much killed his Heisman chances. Needed a sig win and the B1G title game rematch vs MSU wasn't big enough. Had he won at OSU, and then got revenge on MSU, could have got that invite but then again, Ball was still taking votes too. He finished 4th in total, Wilson finished ninth. link

And as someone who was at 12 of the team's 14 games, it was incredibly obvious that Russell was our team's best player. I question whether the people who picked Montee over Russell ever saw that team. And that makes it all the worse...people who are paid to cover college football (which we do for fun) couldn't notice a once-in-a-decade type of talent.

This was made even worse when the professional scouts took him #75 overall. 25% of Americans are underemployed or unemployed, but Jacksonville's GM actually took a punter over him.

Before that year, I gave a lot more respect to football experts than I do today. Its tough to take a profession seriously when they miss a truly transcendent talent.

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And as someone who was at 12 of the team's 14 games, it was incredibly obvious that Russell was our team's best player. I question whether the people who picked Montee over Russell ever saw that team. And that makes it all the worse...people who are paid to cover college football (which we do for fun) couldn't notice a once-in-a-decade type of talent.

This was made even worse when the professional scouts took him #75 overall. 25% of Americans are underemployed or unemployed, but Jacksonville's GM actually took a punter over him.

Before that year, I gave a lot more respect to football experts than I do today. Its tough to take a profession seriously when they miss a truly transcendent talent.

Montee scored 39 TDs in 2011. He deserved his invite that year. Wilson had a great season, I don't deny that but Montee was getting Heisman notice after 2010 well before Wilson got to the program and he deservingly got it with his record performance in 2011 tying Barry Sanders for most TDs in a single season.

Wilson as a QB needed a signature win and never got it. You are not going to make it to new York without it. The only top ten team Wisconsin played was in October against Nebraska who proved not to be a top 10 program that year. Losing at Ohio State who was undefeated could have been that win he needed, but he lost. You should not feel slighted by the snub. Wins are just as important as the statistics and sometimes, more so when it comes to choosing a QB.

tshirt

hot dogs mmm
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sorry, but it still bothers me that Russell Wilson didn't get a Heisman invite in 2011. It's the most perplexing awards snub of my lifetime. I haven't looked at American sports media the same since, to be honest.

you are mad because they didn't have two guys from one school there? Wisconsin already had Monte Ball there at the ceremony along with Luck, RGIII, Trent Richardson and Honey Badger. if you want to be mad Ball went for Wisconsin instead of Wilson, then blame Wisconsin for running it 609 times to 328 passes (65% run/35% pass)

QBs who got snubbed that year were:

senior Brandon Weeden of #3 Oklahoma St (12-1)
408 of 564 (72.3%) for 4727 yd, 37 TD, 13 INT
#2 in yards with 4727 (Keenum was #1)
#2 ypg with 363.6 (Keenum was #1)
#4 TD with 37 (Keenum was #1)
#5 pct with 72.3%
#9 passer rating

senior Kellen Moore of #6 Boise (12-1)
326 of 439 (74.3%) for 3800 yd, 43 TD, 9 INT
#1 pct with 74.3%
#2 TDs with 43 (Keenum was #1)
#3 passer rating
#11 yards with 3800
#12 ypg with 292.3

senior Case Keenum of #14 Houston (13-1)
428 of 602 (71.0%) for 5631 yd, 48 TD, 5 INT
#1 in yards with 5631
#1 in TDs with 48
#1 in ypg with 402.2
#4 passer rating
#8 pct with 71.0%

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wilson was #1 in QB Rating in NCAA History
#1 in Fewest Interceptions
#2 in Yards Per Attempt
#3 in Completion Percentage
#8 in TDs
#28 in Passing Yards (despite rarely passing in 2nd halves)

He was beastly in all three losses, and unbelievably clutch. None of the losses were on him.
He did all of this in a traditional, gimmick-free, pro-style offense.

The only reason people could give for Luck being better was that he was more talented and his numbers were worse because he was at Stanford and they'd be hopeless without him. When they went to the pros, people assured me, it would be clear that Luck is better and Wilson would be a backup.

And they were wrong. In retrospect, it is even more clear Russell was better. Stanford has been just as good without Luck. And more importantly, Wilson has been the better NFL player.

He deserved that spot in New York. He deserved to be picked #1 overall. But at the end of the day, Russell will get the last laugh. Because Luck may have earned the trip to New York for the Heisman ceremony, but Wilson is the one who will be in the New York area leading his team in the Super Bowl.

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
#2 in Yards Per Attempt
#8 in TDs

He was beastly in all three losses, and unbelievably clutch. None of the losses were on him.

Wisconsin had a good season with Ball record performance of 39 TDs and that's why he got the invite. You think he got snubbed but that's not the case. He was never under consideration. Had he beat MSU the first time and OSU, knocking on the door to the BCS title, he would have been in New York.

I ignored all the draft and pro junk. It's irrelevant to the 2011 Heisman.

tshirt

hot dogs mmm
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
#2 in Yards Per Attempt
#8 in TDs

The only reason people could give for Luck being better was that he was more talented and his numbers were worse because he was at Stanford and they'd be hopeless without him. When they went to the pros, people assured me, it would be clear that Luck is better and Wilson would be a backup.

And they were wrong. In retrospect, it is even more clear Russell was better. Stanford has been just as good without Luck. And more importantly, Wilson has been the better NFL player.

He deserved that spot in New York. He deserved to be picked #1 overall. But at the end of the day, Russell will get the last laugh. Because Luck may have earned the trip to New York for the Heisman ceremony, but Wilson is the one who will be in the New York area leading his team in the Super Bowl.

Wilson was only #28 in passing yards because he was one of only nine QBs that got to play in 14 games that year. look at yards per game, Wilson was #45. Can't go to New York for the Heisman with that. Again, blame Wisconsin for not throwing more...Wilson was #87 in pass/att game that year

as for Wilson in the NFL, he has always been in the bottom of the NFL in passing ypg and passing attempts per game... wish they would let him throw more and let us see how good he can be...