• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

If Adrian Peterson had stayed healthy for his three years at OU

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to go a bit homer here, but I'll put Earl Campbell on this list, too. If you really want to talk about a RB that was a man amongst boys, just look to the Tyler Rose. Even Barry Switzer was quoted in his book as saying that Campbell was the only RB he ever saw who could have gone from high school and straight to the NFL and would have immediately become a star. Campbell, Sanders and Jackson. Herschel takes a small seat behind b/c he didn't really do anything in the NFL compared to the other 3.

Herschel gets a bad rap. People forget he had over 5,500 yards in the USFL before coming to the NFL. That is a lot of wear and tear. First 3 years with the Cowboys he had over 1,500 total yards every year and over 2000 once. At the time he was 1 of 10 guys to break 2,000 in a season. He was a 2 time Pro Bowl player there. He went to Minnesota for 3 years and that was a disaster. Broke 1,000 his first year as an Eagle, but he really wasn't the same. That was his 8th NFL season and 11th professional season. I bet if he went straight to the NFL, we would be talking about him in a different light

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Herschel gets a bad rap. People forget he had over 5,500 yards in the USFL before coming to the NFL. That is a lot of wear and tear. First 3 years with the Cowboys he had over 1,500 total yards every year and over 2000 once. At the time he was 1 of 10 guys to break 2,000 in a season. He was a 2 time Pro Bowl player there. He went to Minnesota for 3 years and that was a disaster. Broke 1,000 his first year as an Eagle, but he really wasn't the same. That was his 8th NFL season and 11th professional season. I bet if he went straight to the NFL, we would be talking about him in a different light

I agree, but he didn't. USFL sucked. Would have been interesting what Herschel's stats would have been like if he had gone straight to the NFL; same with Warren Moon.......

HuskerOC

Huskers 24/7 365
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to go a bit homer here, but I'll put Earl Campbell on this list, too. If you really want to talk about a RB that was a man amongst boys, just look to the Tyler Rose. Even Barry Switzer was quoted in his book as saying that Campbell was the only RB he ever saw who could have gone from high school and straight to the NFL and would have immediately become a star. Campbell, Sanders and Jackson. Herschel takes a small seat behind b/c he didn't really do anything in the NFL compared to the other 3.

Earl was before Bo and Herschel, but yes he deserves solid mention. My absolute favorite player as a young scrap. Dan Pastorini and the Tyler Rose. Probably the most physical RB in the entire history of the NFL.

Carried the ball like a loaf of bread, but rarely fumbled. Unbelievable lateral movement for a man his size and deceptive speed. Thighs like Redwoods, and quite possibly the best stiff arm the game has ever seen. Man amongst boys even in the NFL.

He could take physical punishment like no other. Top 10 player of all time in my book.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ui844C3TQVI]Earl Campbell Highlights - YouTube[/ame]

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best running banks ever? While in college? The guys who could tear a game up and carry a team all by themselves? Even if they were a nut case or played on so-so teams? In no particular order:

Earl Campbell -- Texas
Adrian Peterson -- Oklahoma
Mike Rozier -- Nebraska
Marcus Dupree -- Oklahoma
Herschell Walker -- Georgia
OJ Simpson -- USC
Barry Sanders -- Oklahoma State
Gayle Sayers -- Kansas

deadmeow

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adrian Peterson was impressive when he was in college, but he seemed to get hurt all the time. I wasn't sure if he would make it as a pro because of injuries. My friend is a big Oklahoma fan and Viking fan.

The year Peterson came out of college, the Falcons were picking right behind Minnesota, and Peterson fell in the draft and I thought Atlanta was going to get him! My friend almost had a heart attack, but of course Minnesota drafted him and my Viking-fan friend survived.

Falcons ended up with Michael Turner anyway, so they had the RB position locked up for a few years, but it would have been interesting to see Matt Ryan and Peterson on the same team.

sooner4life130

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If ifs and buts were candy and nuts....

It's a silly premise. AD didn't stay healthy. Besides it's always speculation to compare athletes from different eras and programs. That's part of what makes college sports fun, no one can ever say for sure. One cannot compare schedules, stats, and highlight reels with complete fairness for a dozen reasons. It's only good for off season talk with a good brew.:suds:

And all of us are homers. So OU fans will always think him superior, while the fans of the other schools who produced their own greats won't.

I'm not sure you understand the initial premise. It seems I wasnt very detailed on the question but on page 1 I did explain it to another poster. Those I listed are guys who left their mark on college football to a point where they have a "demigod" myth about them. You talk to any UGA fan about Walker and they will talk him up as if he was hercules and the same goes for the other two. My question is, since we have seen AD baically put himself on a path to hall of fame status and possible GOAT rb in the NFL, if he were healthy in college would he have the mythical legacy like some other greats do.

Also, if you don't think AD was great in college when he was healthy then you never had the priveliage to watch him.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Earl was before Bo and Herschel, but yes he deserves solid mention. My absolute favorite player as a young scrap. Dan Pastorini and the Tyler Rose. Probably the most physical RB in the entire history of the NFL.

Carried the ball like a loaf of bread, but rarely fumbled. Unbelievable lateral movement for a man his size and deceptive speed. Thighs like Redwoods, and quite possibly the best stiff arm the game has ever seen. Man amongst boys even in the NFL.

He could take physical punishment like no other. Top 10 player of all time in my book.

Earl Campbell Highlights - YouTube

Took such a beating though. NFL career only lasted 7 years, but holy shit, he dominated in the 1st 5 years.

smilesid

Hammerfan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure you understand the initial premise. It seems I wasnt very detailed on the question but on page 1 I did explain it to another poster. Those I listed are guys who left their mark on college football to a point where they have a "demigod" myth about them. You talk to any UGA fan about Walker and they will talk him up as if he was hercules and the same goes for the other two. My question is, since we have seen AD baically put himself on a path to hall of fame status and possible GOAT rb in the NFL, if he were healthy in college would he have the mythical legacy like some other greats do.

Also, if you don't think AD was great in college when he was healthy then you never had the priveliage to watch him.

Actually, I did. But when it counted, he got out played by BSU's Ian Johnson, who out rushed him, scored more, and got the cheerleader to say yes, too.

Don't get me wrong, AD was an amazing athlete in college, one of the best I've seen, but he was not superhuman. Bo Jackson, Earl Campbell, Hershel Walker, OJ, Sanders, Sayers; they had days in which only kryptonite would have stopped them. AD was great too, but to me not in the same category. But I'm not an OU fan, my bad. I stand by my point.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, I did. But when it counted, he got out played by BSU's Ian Johnson, who out rushed him, scored more, and got the cheerleader to say yes, too.

I thought 'when it counted' was on NFL Draft Day. You know, that day when Ian Johnson went undrafted. :laugh3:

smilesid

Hammerfan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought 'when it counted' was on NFL Draft Day. You know, that day when Ian Johnson went undrafted. :laugh3:

Not if you're talking college football. Pay attention, fool. Go back to the original premise of the thread. How would AD be considered as a college athlete?

No one is disputing AD's talent. And, by the way, help me out, I've never seen AD's Superbowl championship ring.:doh:

Oh, and AD is a multiplied millionaire, but personally tortured, having a lot of bad things happen to him. Ian Johnson is still happily married to his sweetheart, with a beautiful family, and making a comfortable living in business. I've never seen him with a frown on his face. He's a pillar in the community and universally loved here. So, tell me, which would you rather be?:scratch:

sooner4life130

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Don't get me wrong, AD was an amazing athlete in college, one of the best I've seen, but he was not superhuman. Bo Jackson, Earl Campbell, Hershel Walker, OJ, Sanders, Sayers; they had days in which only kryptonite would have stopped them. AD was great too, but to me not in the same category. But I'm not an OU fan, my bad. I stand by my point.

Well clearly you didnt see him play healthy because AD had 180 snaps that season bc of an injury that cut his season short. The Fiesta bowl was his first game back and if you think he was playing healthy then you're crazy.

olympicoscar

Life is what you've made of it.
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would you view him with the likes of Herschel Walker, Bo Jackson and Barry Sanders? These three are arguably the greatest ever in college.

Could say that about a lot of people. DeMarco Murray the same thing for Oklahoma and the Dallas Cowboys. Gale Sayers may have been the greatest ever and he had the same problem. Staying healthy is part of the game.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could say that about a lot of people. DeMarco Murray the same thing for Oklahoma and the Dallas Cowboys. Gale Sayers may have been the greatest ever and he had the same problem. Staying healthy is part of the game.

Murray is nowhere near the same level as those guys. Never was, never will be.

iruletheskool

iruleiskool
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He might have been as good as those 3, but he's no Lawrence Phillips

Greatest RB of all time.