• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I need suggestions

NullDefault

Generic Comment
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yes. There is one a mile or so from my house. I like it better than Netflicks, I never plan it out well enough to get the movies when I want them. And I don't have a wait on new movies.

Although the employees are only slightly better than at Walmart.

I agree there's definitely some deficiencies with Netflix. I don't seem to come across too many new releases that spark my interest so I don't necessarily mind the wait. If there's a movie I want to see without the wait I always just purchase the bastard. DVD's are cheap anymore.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just got a new blu ray player and I need some good suggestions on the first blu ray to buy.

My old lady doesn't see what the big deal is with blu rays so I want to impress. Something with impressive visuals or sound would be nice. Thanks.

You already married the chick. You don't have to impress her anymore.

You're welcome.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no **** on Blu Ray

some things are not meant for high def, and should always have just enough blur to cover the acne, bruises, razor burn and c-section scars.

I dont know, I just got done watching a **** blu ray called "Every Little Blemish" and it was pretty hot.

I'd go with something realish, not one mostly computer generated. Yeah, they look awesome on blu ray but they look pretty great 480p too and they are not real so it can be hard to judge. Sorry folks, Woody is not real.

I went with Inception for the Mrs first blu ray. It did have black bars on the top and bottom though and I wanted something to fill the whole screen. Last week we got Cyrus, and it was full screen. Man thats living when you get John C Reilly and Jonah Hill's giant heads in HD glory.

I did get Ironman and Star Trek on blu ray last year to watch on PS3, they were both good too. Forgot about the PS3 blue ray, I only used it for that twice.

Last edited by a moderator:

Slimpikins

Well, fuck it
Hoopla Cash
$ 330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Secondary question, is there really a difference between the HDMI cables? They have them for .16 and for 160.00. What's the difference?

I have had people tell me that HDMI is an all or nothing thing, either the singal is transmitted or it isn't so the price of the cable doesn't effect the picture. I have had others tell me that it makes all the difference in the world, higher quality cable means a higher quality picture.

Anyone with experience want to weigh in?

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
personally I dont see a difference in picture quality ... only difference i see is mark-up

my in-laws are direct buy members and for a time you could get Monster cables through there (i just checked online now and they arent available) and I remember the prices being similar to the cheaper stuff thats out there at electronics retailers

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Secondary question, is there really a difference between the HDMI cables? They have them for .16 and for 160.00. What's the difference?

I have had people tell me that HDMI is an all or nothing thing, either the singal is transmitted or it isn't so the price of the cable doesn't effect the picture. I have had others tell me that it makes all the difference in the world, higher quality cable means a higher quality picture.

I have never noticed any difference with brands of HDMI cables at all. The way you have heard it described 'all or nothing' is the way I understand it to be as well.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only difference since buying my Blu Ray player a couple months ago that isnt all good with me is with the sound. And its not a problem, its just something I have to fool with.

DVDs were mainly in Dolby 5.1 and I used some dynamic compression to make the quiet parts louder and the louds a bit quieter. Probably had everything set up unchanged for 4 or 5 years.
Most Blu Ray BDs sound is DTS. Compression only works with Dolby audio so the DTS was really loud and some of the effects and music was drowning out the dialogue in movies I was watching. So I had to mess with the individual speaker levels turning up the front channel so I can hear the talking. Works, but I am still tinkering.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have never noticed any difference with brands of HDMI cables at all. The way you have heard it described 'all or nothing' is the way I understand it to be as well.

Either it works or it doesn't. Companies like Best Buy make almost no money on the TVs and stuff themselves, and need to fleece you on accessories to stay above water. I got my cables from Micro Center for like 8 bucks.

As for the best discs, I got Gladiator, the newest Harry Potter and Toy Story 3 and they convinced the missus straight away. She's talking about replacing some of our DVDs already.

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just got a new blu ray player and I need some good suggestions on the first blu ray to buy.

My old lady doesn't see what the big deal is with blu rays so I want to impress. Something with impressive visuals or sound would be nice. Thanks.

Don't ask me, I still haven't figured out how they get the sound off of the vinyl records through a needle and out the speakers.

Bizzle McDizzle

all of your teams suck
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Blech
Monster Cable massive MASSIVE rip off.
Its a digital signal. That signal travels the 4 feet from BRD player to receiver of Tv exactly the same on a $5 cable as on a $50.00 cable.
If you have a super, super high end system that require more shielding from interference, then it would be with it to pay more.
If you have to travel the signal 10 feet or more, it may be worth paying more.

But for 99.8% of us, with a simple BRD/receiver/HDTV. Set up, DO NOT believe the hype.

Allow me to introduce you to HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more!
I bought 3 4ft cables, 2 6 ft. Spent like $20.00
Everything looks and sounds and works great.

TOX1

Game fucking on!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Rambo.

The newest version was awesome when he broke out that 50 cal and started cutting bitches down. The skulls exploding from the impact was excellent on blu-ray. :D

ELYEAH82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
over9000.jpg

I was nervous someone would mention it :L:p

I have no idea what that picture is or what you are trying to say here...

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont want to see the movie, but I'd like a Blu Ray of the new Sandler movie just so I can watch the woman walk out of the water in her bikini. She waves too, I like to imagine shes waving to me.

just-go-with-it-trailer.jpg

Bizzle McDizzle

all of your teams suck
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont want to see the movie, but I'd like a Blu Ray of the new Sandler movie just so I can watch the woman walk out of the water in her bikini. She waves too, I like to imagine shes waving to me.

just-go-with-it-trailer.jpg

why settle for a cheap imitation (ok, ok, smoking hot and super jiggly imitation) when you can have the real thing...

Last edited by a moderator: