• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I knew the bullpen would be bad, but I didn't know it would be this bad

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"A quick recap of the performances:

April 1: Rangers walk off in the bottom of the ninth with a run against Mario Hollands and B.J. Rosenberg

April 2: Rangers score three runs in the bottom of the ninth against Jonathan Papelbon to walk off 4-3 winners

April 8: Brewers put the kibosh on any hopes of a comeback when Ryan Braun hit his third home run of the day, a three-run homer off of Brad Lincoln

April 9: Brewers break 4-4 tie and burst ahead with five runs against Antonio Bastardo and Justin De Fratus

Every member of the bullpen has shown a crack in the armor already and even Jake Diekman, perhaps the most trusted member of the bullpen by fans, has a 5.79 ERA. As a unit, the struggles aren’t surprising when you look at their peripherals. Over 23 2/3 combined innings, they have struck out hitters at an 18.7 percent clip and walked them at a 12.2 percent clip. The MLB average for relievers last season was 21.2 percent and 8.7 percent, respectively, so the Phillies are not missing many bits and they’re giving away too many free passes to first base. There’s no chance of pointing to bad luck as a culprit, either, as they have an aggregate .286 BABIP and eight percent HR/FB rate. Their 4.82 xFIP and 4.39 SIERA is, for all intents and purposes, verifying their awful ERA. In other words, they really are pitching as bad as they’ve looked."

Crashburn Alley ? Patience Required with Phillies? Young Bullpen

The rest of the article outlines why there should not be too much cause for concern, but it's not like we have Mariano Rivera and Dennis Eckersley struggling in the second week of the season. Manship and Lincoln are terrible, and De Fratus is average at best. I was counting on at least Diekman and Bastardo to be decent, but even they aren't doing their jobs. It's going to be very hard to win games that are 4-3 or 4-4 when the starting pitcher leaves.

northeastphillyguy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not all the bullpens fault. The Phillies are making mistakes in the field as well.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The bullpen has played a much larger role in our 5 losses than the defense has

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know it's only been 2 and 1/3 innings, but every time Lincoln pitches I swear it looks like the game has turned into fucking ESPN Home Run Derby. At least Manship looks passable at times when he is on the mound.

WestCoastPhan

Northern California formerly from Bucks County
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know it's only been 2 and 1/3 innings, but every time Lincoln pitches I swear it looks like the game has turned into fucking ESPN Home Run Derby. At least Manship looks passable at times when he is on the mound.

i think we saw the real jeff manship tonight....this is the reason he has never been able to stay in the big leagues...as a matter of fact, he has struggled at AAA. But Ruben likes him. lolol!