• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I just saw the movie "42" and now I have a question

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The funny thing is it originally was just me "calling back" some goofy post some guy made on the ESPN board, but I never thought it would gain this much traction.
Also, I can't believe he played the "W.E.B. du bois" card..... sp.?

i don't know what "card" you're talking about. i just listed prominent african-american figures and he came to mind

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never heard of the guy, which leads me to my next question. It seems odd that you would say you "love" that list of people noted for their involvement in the civil rights movement, yet with Jackie Robinson the fact that he was a Dodger is a deal breaker. It seems almost as irrational as the guy from the ESPN board saying he hates the Phillies because of their racist manager that was shown in the movie.
Unless that was the point you were going for. If that's the case then it is fucking brilliant.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never heard of the guy, which leads me to my next question. It seems odd that you would say you "love" that list of people noted for their involvement in the civil rights movement, yet with Jackie Robinson the fact that he was a Dodger is a deal breaker. It seems almost as irrational as the guy from the ESPN board saying he hates the Phillies because of their racist manager that was shown in the movie.
Unless that was the point you were going for. If that's the case then it is fucking brilliant.

boom! maybe i was planning that the whole time. no cedrique, it's a mentality i've had since i was 9. my friends joke about it all the time. it's almost a front, like i don't hate robinson, but i have to because he's a dodger. i mean it's hard to muster up hate for a guy like robinson, but i manage to do it. now back to the phils

Attractive and Rich

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't sound like the same baseball fan who's made many posts on this site. In fact, don't take this personal, but you sound like an outright, pure freaking racist. Wtf is it all about?

How did that post make him sound racist at all...?

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
fan382: Only a simple minded fool with a childish temperament would call Jackie Robinson a piece of shit. Deal with it.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
fan382: Only a simple minded fool with a childish temperament would call Jackie Robinson a piece of shit. Deal with it.

jvett you're an idiot. i don't like jackie robinson. deal with it, kid. i'm not replying any more to this thread. your excitment of the month (attempting to bully someone through the internet) is now over.

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Brilliant? Why flatter the guy. Let's be clear. Fan382's comment #6 is racist in tone and generally offensive. As you stated earlier "Jackie Robinson is an icon in american sports history." It's not the language itself; we don't want ESPN filters.

unblowupable5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The funny thing is it originally was just me "calling back" some goofy post some guy made on the ESPN board, but I never thought it would gain this much traction.
Also, I can't believe he played the "W.E.B. du bois" card..... sp.?

I remember that one as well. (Way to revive a classic!) I lurked around the ESPN boards a bit. Didn't post as much there because it was a troll-infested mess.

Figjam Tornado

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought it was a good movie. I was familiar with the story but I still learned some about guys like Durocher and Pee Wee Reese. I think a Durocher biography would probably have some crazy shit in it. I remember seeing him in an old rerun of the Munsters where he was thinking about signing Herman to the Dodgers. I forget how Herman screwed it up. I just remember Durocher saying "I don't know if I should sign him with the Dodgers or send him to Vietnam".

The movie was not very good. It had a made-for-TV feel to it and Harrison Ford's acting was awful.

I respect Jackie Robinson, but that movie sucked.:lame:

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The movie was not very good. It had a made-for-TV feel to it and Harrison Ford's acting was awful.

I respect Jackie Robinson, but that movie sucked.:lame:

i actually thought harrison ford was one of the bright spots of the movie. him and boseman's acting was pretty good. i just didn't like the script. i can't believe some people are mentioning it with the greatest baseball movies of all time

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
jvett you're an idiot. i don't like jackie robinson. deal with it, kid. i'm not replying any more to this thread. your excitment of the month (attempting to bully someone through the internet) is now over.

I disagree with that. lol. Before you run off, why not take your dumb comment, post #5, with you or at least edit out the last part so fans don't think you're a real weirdo and worse. Be a freaking man!

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Philsfan1382, I think I saw you in an old movie theater one time. You were the guy cheering when Brian Piccolo died, yelling "fuck the Bears!".

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Philsfan1382, I think I saw you in an old movie theater one time. You were the guy cheering when Brian Piccolo died, yelling "fuck the Bears!".

lol. yes that would be something i can see myself doing. along with half the city. who was that cowboy's player who got his career ended and eagles fans booed? i wish i was there. i would have done the same. can you respect it?

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol. yes that would be something i can see myself doing. along with half the city. who was that cowboy's player who got his career ended and eagles fans booed? i wish i was there. i would have done the same. can you respect it?

Nope