• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I expected...

Peter Gozintite

NO!...but yes.
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 103,499.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
a slow start with a new offense, and did not expect the defense to play lights out either. I'm really not that upset with where we are right now, aside from DT inparticular. I didn't expect a huge charge off the starting line, and think we get better as the season progresses.

The defense has been the obvious problem, and they can get better as things go. I dont think they need to be a top 10 defense as long as the offense can reach its peak come playoff time. The offense could be so much more dynamic and consistent later, and should be expected.

Am i overly optimistic, dumb, realistic, crazy, or what?

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, I think your assessment is accurate.

Right now, this is a team at a cross roads. The defense will either continue its downward spiral, and be the downfall of this team. Rendering fans to being hopeful for next season once again.

Or, the offense will step up, the defense will smooth out the rough edges enough to be serviceable and this team will compete. IMO, one of these two processes will start Sunday in Washington. Road game, desperate team, and a team (if we're going anywhere) that we should handle.

Of course, the real test and checkpoint comes two weeks later. After the bye, on the road, in Green Bay, on Monday Night football. I don't need to see them win. I just need to see them compete, and I need to see Jay not fall on his face.

Right now, 10 wins looks like a very successful season, IMO. Personally, I see 8 to 9. Can 9-7 get us into the playoffs this year in the NFC? Possibly. 10 wins definitely isn't out of the question though. Our schedule isn't too bad. If we beat Washington, take two of the three @GB, vs DET, vs BAL... we're in very good position, and I'll buy into this team. Anything less, we're just a "meh" team. If this defense continues to play the way it has, I could even see us losing 9-10 games.

Like I said, this team is a total enigma right now, and a huge question mark. I have NOOO idea what's going to happen. This is the first time in a long time that I don't have a feel for this team AT ALL. The one thing we have going for us, is that barring injuries, the offense will get better, and the defense really has nowhere to go but up.

RaptorII

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
a slow start with a new offense, and did not expect the defense to play lights out either. I'm really not that upset with where we are right now, aside from DT inparticular. I didn't expect a huge charge off the starting line, and think we get better as the season progresses.

The defense has been the obvious problem, and they can get better as things go. I dont think they need to be a top 10 defense as long as the offense can reach its peak come playoff time. The offense could be so much more dynamic and consistent later, and should be expected.

I don't disagree with any of that.
Pretty good, where we're at.

Peter Gozintite

NO!...but yes.
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 103,499.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it just me that thinks there is a possibilty that the defense is, even in part, not putting forth the same effort as before in some type of protest for the firing of Lovie and the departure of Rod Marinelli? I think its possible.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it just me that thinks there is a possibilty that the defense is, even in part, not putting forth the same effort as before in some type of protest for the firing of Lovie and the departure of Rod Marinelli? I think its possible.

Not a chance. They're paid millions to play football. It's their job, and it's a business. They know that.

They may not be as motivated to play under Tucker, but it sure isn't some type of childish protest.

It's not like it's some kind of mystery. This pass rush sucks, and it's not due to a lack of trying. Its due to us playing two DT's off of the street, and Peppers beginning to show signs of his age. He did a bit at the end of last season too.

Briggs, Tillman, etc... these guys are in the last year of their contract, and you can bet they want to win in Chicago. This may be their last chance. They're DEFINITELY playing as hard as they can.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The third part of the scenario is hurting both offense and defense. Special teams is ranked 30th in the league. Just having Robbie should have us at 15th, but the coverage, punting has put the defense in a hole, the return game is not getting field position for the offense.

Fix special teams and both offense and defense will benefit. They couldnt keep Marinelli, couldnt keep Toub and thats the 2/3rds that were always outplaying the opponent.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I can't disagree w/ your assessment of the Bears so far. A healthy Paea & Tillman could make huge impact on better D play going forward. But peanut ( 1 of my favorite players) seems to miss more crucial time every week.
I expected more out of the D to start the year, since they kept the same system supposedly. But they have failed my expectations. Rod's still getting a pass rush w/ guys off the street in Dallas. Just sayin.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't disagree w/ your assessment of the Bears so far. A healthy Paea & Tillman could make huge impact on better D play going forward. But peanut ( 1 of my favorite players) seems to miss more crucial time every week.
I expected more out of the D to start the year, since they kept the same system supposedly. But they have failed my expectations. Rod's still getting a pass rush w/ guys off the street in Dallas. Just sayin.

And Dave has the #1 special team in Kansas City. The bears are not playing scrubs on special teams either, I have seen Tillman and Major Wright out there in coverage.

Peter Gozintite

NO!...but yes.
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 103,499.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah ok, didnt expect all this now. Could be worse, could be the vikes.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah ok, didnt expect all this now. Could be worse, could be the vikes.

Well... things definitely look rough.

Let's see if this team has any heart going forward. Namely the defense. I think the offense showed that they have some fight in them already. 41 points should always win you a football game versus a 1-4 team. Embarrassing...