• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I don't really understand the DW for Heisman talk

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DW has the ability to be in the heisman converation, obviously, but i dont think he should/will be because his statistics dont show how good he is.. he's got a bunch of yards i guess, but he does it on so few carries.. i'm not looking it up, but i'd be surprised if he averaged more than 16 carries/game.. he just doesn't get that many touches.. it seems to me that oglesby gets almost every 3rd drive while DW chills on the bench.. and as everyone has said, most short yardage situations are handled by LT (why not when he averages 4 yards/qb sneak) but if they do decide to give it to a back its oglseby

my bold prediction: if he gets the fumbling under control (which i think he will), he will be the best RB to come out of this class.. he just doesn't get the touches you need to put up heisman numbers.. but he is an unbelievable runner, it takes at least 2 defenders to tackle him on every play and his best attribute is his speed.. he's going to be a special player in the NFL i think

Hokie Swagger

@hokieswagger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
collin klein should win the heisman, but he wont. look at his total touchdowns. seriously

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I rest my case. DW only had about two good runs today, and when we needed him at the goal line he couldn't punch it in. And the fumbles?! wtf?

He had 4 rushes for a total of 74 yards (8, 11, 33, 22). That was the best D-Line we'll see all year and our O-Line was abused all night. It was not Wilson's best game, but to judge a player after one game is absurd. Why not talk about Trent Richardson's game against Kent St, LSU, or Miss St? Or how about LaMichael James' game against LSU or Washington St?

vtpoop

Same poop, different day
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just saw this posted on TSL. Obviously take it with a grain of salt, but great news if true.

Subject: Talked to someone last night who runs track with Wilson last night at the game..
Posted by: hokies4me2010 on Fri Nov 18 2011 2:40:12 PM
Said DW3 stated recently "Im coming back for next year, Im gonna
finish my degree, my family wants me to do that more than anything"

Chrish1023

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just saw this posted on TSL. Obviously take it with a grain of salt, but great news if true.

Subject: Talked to someone last night who runs track with Wilson last night at the game..
Posted by: hokies4me2010 on Fri Nov 18 2011 2:40:12 PM
Said DW3 stated recently "Im coming back for next year, Im gonna
finish my degree, my family wants me to do that more than anything"

If he does, we will have a solid team next year. We will lose basically the whole OL and some good WR, but a lot of other people will be back

Hokie Swagger

@hokieswagger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he does, we will have a solid team next year. We will lose basically the whole OL and some good WR, but a lot of other people will be back

he will come back, he definitely seems like a guy who takes school seriously, so i think he will stay and get his degree. we lose our top 2 wide receivers and 4/5 o-linemen, and dragerbomb. other than that, we lose eddie whitley (dont like him much anyways) and that is it. we will have a VERY good team next season if we can put together a serviceable offensive line, because i have faith in the receivers we will have next season (especially with dyrell returning and dj coles really coming along). hosley should come back next season after the season he has had this year.

Defense

----------------------Exum-------------Van Dyke------------------------
--Fuller---------------------------------------------------------Hosley--
----------JGW----------------Edwards-----Taylor------------------------
--------------Collins----Hopkins--------Hopkins----Gayle------------------

Offense

--Coles-------Becton--Wang--Miller--Gibson--Via--Malleck-------Roberts--
------------------------------LT3---------------------------------------
------------------------Wilson-----Phillips------------------------------

bolded players are new starters. i didnt bold becton because he plays a ton. we lose only 1 starter on defense.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arr we even losing anyone other than Whitley from the 2 deep on D?

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I still think that Hosley and Wilson are gone after this year, but I'll be more than glad to have them back.

The defense is going to be stout, especially if Antoine Hopkins, JGW, and Bruce can come back healthy. It sounds like Hopkins should be fine, but JGW and Bruce have a long recovery. Doubt they'll be ready for the spring.

hokiecheme11

Mr. Manager
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he will come back, he definitely seems like a guy who takes school seriously, so i think he will stay and get his degree. we lose our top 2 wide receivers and 4/5 o-linemen, and dragerbomb. other than that, we lose eddie whitley (dont like him much anyways) and that is it. we will have a VERY good team next season if we can put together a serviceable offensive line, because i have faith in the receivers we will have next season (especially with dyrell returning and dj coles really coming along). hosley should come back next season after the season he has had this year.

Defense

Offense

bolded players are new starters. i didnt bold becton because he plays a ton. we lose only 1 starter on defense.

Just curious, any reason why Malleck would start over Martin and Dunn?

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Defense

Offense

I think there is a fairly good shot that Hosley sticks around being that he has had an "underachieving" year by last years standards. He has HUGE potential but this year he has beaten and is has not been a great tackler. I think we would all agree that Kyle Fuller has been more instrumental than anyone in the secondary. I think Exum has had a breakout year as well. He has been all over the place. If the guys mentioned come back healthy and better than ever (JGW, Taylor and Hopkins) and Hosley stays, our D will be NASTY and will be developing some great depth as well...

As much as I have bashed on the OL at times because of some major inconsistencies in some games (espec. the ones that really matter) those guys will be missed. I hope some of these young guys are ready to step in and up in a big way. I hate to see Boykin and Coale go (they have been two of the best receivers ever IMO) but this fine establishment is quickly starting to turn into CB/RB/WR U...Coles is showing great promise, Roberts will be back and if healthy will be huge..and if Davis could ever figure it out could be special.. David Wilson??? We shall see..once he hears 2nd round he may change his mind. Seems like a great kid who likely would want to finish school but it would surprise me if he stayed. He is projected now anywhere between #2-5 RB and he would likely be at the least a 2nd round pick..when he runs a 4.2-4.4 at the combine the talking heads may be drooling..he could be a 1st rounder when its all said and done once he combines and the scouts look at the film.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
just a guess. no inside info, just dont think dunn or martin have shown much and malleck was a guy the coaches seemed to think highly of

IMO Dunn should have never played TE and would have been a better fit @ WR or LB, so although he may get some snaps from time to time he prob wont ever be our "featured" TE. Malleck didnt RS this year so the coaches must want him to play a role in the offense next year. I think he will play more than this year, but still basically just in a "tune up" role for 2013. I think GeorgeX2 will be our #1 next year, he has seen some time and will be a SR so the coaches trust him*. The coaches seem to love martins blocking (+2 inches and he's a tackle) so he will prob play also (@ least) when we are in power formations.

As far as Redman he is RS and i really havnt heard anything about him, but i think both he and Malleck are expected to be big parts of our offense in the future.

hokiecheme11

Mr. Manager
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO Dunn should have never played TE and would have been a better fit @ WR or LB, so although he may get some snaps from time to time he prob wont ever be our "featured" TE. Malleck didnt RS this year so the coaches must want him to play a role in the offense next year. I think he will play more than this year, but still basically just in a "tune up" role for 2013. I think GeorgeX2 will be our #1 next year, he has seen some time and will be a SR so the coaches trust him*. The coaches seem to love martins blocking (+2 inches and he's a tackle) so he will prob play also (@ least) when we are in power formations.

As far as Redman he is RS and i really havnt heard anything about him, but i think both he and Malleck are expected to be big parts of our offense in the future.

Thanks! All good info. Since were talking new guys next year, is there any word on Brent Benedict? I know he is huge, just hoping he can contribute next year