• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I don't really understand the DW for Heisman talk

hokiecheme11

Mr. Manager
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of people over on TSL are saying it would be sacriligeous for DW not to be invited to NY as a Heisman finalist. As much as I love him, I don't really see the merit.

Sure he's a great runner and he's picked up a lot of yards, but there two things working against him in my mind.

1. Obviously the TDs. Richardson (19 TDs) and James (13 TDs in only 8 games) both seem like more complete backs who get into the endzone. DW has 8 TDs.

2. I don't believe he's the best player on our team, or that he is the most important player to our success. When LT is on, we can't lose. And he is so effective in short yardage situations that I trust him more to make the play. If it's a handoff on third and short, I still get worried. And that doesn't scream Heisman to me.

Love watching DW run, and I hope he has huge games the rest of the way and earns more recognition, but I don't think it is warranted right now.

Thoughts?

EvanGWatkins

757 Hokie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
First thing you need to realize is that most people over on TSL are very fickel, they will go into melt down mode if things do not go their way. Now on to DW.

DW should be on the ballot because he does have the most rushing yards in the nation right now (unless he was passed this weekend). What is hurting him is TDs, National Attention, and 2 RBs in the nation that are just better than him in James and Richardson.

Do I think DW should be on the ballot, yes, do I think he should be in the top 5 and invited to NY? No.

If he does come back next year he could be invited to NY and possibly win it, but no he will not be invited to NY this year and I (a TSL poster) am fine with it ;)

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2. I don't believe he's the best player on our team, or that he is the most important player to our success. Thoughts?

You do realize we would have at least 3 losses right now if not for DW. He has been the only thing consistant about our team. Sure he's had a few untimely fumbles, but I haven't seen anyone else put forth the effort that DW does week in and week out. LT has had his share of good games this year, but I gotta wonder what LT's stat line would be against Miami, Wake or GT if we didn't have DW in the backfield. Imagine only having Oglesby and Gregory this year.

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with the OP. I think in short yardage situations would be be iced most of the time if not for LT. I don't think is purely on DW for that - our OL isn't built for dominating the trenches on short yardage situations. Maybe with our recruiting preference changing from lean / athletic type to overall big and nasty this will also change for us.

Also, any updates on Acree? Did he ever get to a point where he could be leveraged on the line (in the future)?

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
also interested in who our best player is if not DW??

I'm not as mad he isn't getting heisman love as I am for the reasoning. I am tired of hearing how "no one is stronger than Trent Richardson after contact" when DW has more broken tackles and ~200 more yards after contact. The TD thing sucks, but that goes along with having a 255lb qb.

I think his consistency also hurts him to some degree. He has only rushed for less than 123 once this year, but doesn't have the break-out, 210 yard game that LMJ has. TR has games where he is terrible, but then will show up with a 180+ yard game and people are back on the train

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think DW should be in the Heisman talk. I disagree that he isnt the best player on our team. LT has played well but DW's threat in the backfield opens a lot up for him. DW is the most important person on our team right now. He carried the team when LT was playing poorly. He has 115 broken tackles and over 800 yards after contact (200+ more than Richardson) He is on a (currently) top 10 team leading the nation in rushing. He deserves to be there.

Lumbee09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he was getting touchdowns, I think he may be up there in the heisman race. However, only 7 TDs in 10 games isn't much to hang your hat on. His rushing yards are pretty amazing when you look at them, though. Averaging 136 yards per game, should break the VT single season record set by RW 2 years ago (1,655 yards), and he is on pace to break the ACC single season rush record (Thomas Jones - 1,798 yards). However, DW is not having the season both of those guys had in my mind. RW set the touchdown record (21) in that season with 13 games played, and Thomas Jones set the record with only 11 games. I would loveee for DW to take the rushing record away from a Hoo, though.

As far as importance to the team, DW and LT have both won us their fair share of games. Early in the season, we relied on DW to win, but now that LT has developed, he has started to take over. It doesn't mean that DW has not been important in the last few wins. I wonder if we beat GT if DW doesn't have 175 rushing yards. While LT got the 5 TDs and the glory in the game, DW piled up yards that allowed us to manage the clock and keep their offense on the sidelines. While his vision and short yardage running abilities are criticized, DW is one of the best at breaking tackles when he's in open field. He's got the speed a lot of running backs simply don't have.

Overall, is DW a heisman RB? No. But I can see why people are talking about it. I've heard a lot of talk about how he's excited to be mentioned in the heisman race, and it could influence him staying another year.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Amount of touchdowns is overrated. Most runningback touchdowns are run in from the 2 yard line in the power i. With a good oline, Betty White could probably run in a lot of those touchdowns.

Last edited by a moderator:

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I have no problem with the DW for heisman talk. It brings exposure to the program and shows recruits that people are paying attention to VT and the ACC. FWIW though i put his chance of winning it @ under 5%. Not enough TD's, too many fumbles, and to be honest VT isnt a high (enough) profile team this year. Besides now-a-days the heisman is a 2 year competition, you have to get your name out there in year A to have a chance in year B. IF DW comes back he will be a top 5 H-man candidate and have a real chance to win it imo.

hokiecheme11

Mr. Manager
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no problem with the DW for heisman talk. It brings exposure to the program and shows recruits that people are paying attention to VT and the ACC. FWIW though i put his chance of winning it @ under 5%. Not enough TD's, too many fumbles, and to be honest VT isnt a high (enough) profile team this year. Besides now-a-days the heisman is a 2 year competition, you have to get your name out there in year A to have a chance in year B. IF DW comes back he will be a top 5 H-man candidate and have a real chance to win it imo.

Great points, I completely agree with all of em. I never really thought of the Heisman as a two year campaign, but it makes sense recently with the top guys this year being finalists last year.

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with the OP. I think in short yardage situations would be be iced most of the time if not for LT. I don't think is purely on DW for that - our OL isn't built for dominating the trenches on short yardage situations. Maybe with our recruiting preference changing from lean / athletic type to overall big and nasty this will also change for us.

Also, any updates on Acree? Did he ever get to a point where he could be leveraged on the line (in the future)?

Bump - any info/updates on Acree? I know we touched on him during the Spring when the move was made to the OL. Just wondering if there were any other updates on him...

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
He definitely needs to be in the discussion. The TD total will hurt his consideratin, which is a shame because VT as a whole has been dreadful in the red zone. Their problem was that LT was still learning and was not a threat to throw. VT was one dimensional and had terrible playcalling and terrible execution. I think now with LT playing better, they should utilize DW more in the red zone, even though the QB sneak has been unstoppable. It will at least protect LT and keep him healthy.

hokiecheme11

Mr. Manager
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I rest my case. DW only had about two good runs today, and when we needed him at the goal line he couldn't punch it in. And the fumbles?! wtf?

hokiehighsuperfly

I Go By Many Names
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You do realize we would have at least 3 losses right now if not for DW. He has been the only thing consistant about our team. Sure he's had a few untimely fumbles, but I haven't seen anyone else put forth the effort that DW does week in and week out. LT has had his share of good games this year, but I gotta wonder what LT's stat line would be against Miami, Wake or GT if we didn't have DW in the backfield. Imagine only having Oglesby and Gregory this year.

^This

Like a great DB; a players abilities aren't seen in his own stats, but those around him. Wilson doesn't seem to take a play off. He has a great mix of power, moves, and speed, and does a great job of harnessing them for each play. Does he make mistakes? Yes. But I don't think we have seen a back carry the team like him in years. Thomas is in the process of becoming an amazing QB, but I believe that has been due to the threat of Wilson.

I also don't believe that Wilson should be in NYC this year, because of his fumbles and needing some more primary back experience himself. But he has played such a integral part of this team this year, and that can't be ignored.

goDAWGSsicem

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just my two cents...

I don't think any of the "top contenders" deserve it. Not Luck, Keenum or Richardson.

Especially Luck, I know he's good, but his numbers are compareable to UGA's Murray (and LOL @ Murray for Heisman).

hokiehighsuperfly

I Go By Many Names
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
On LT, he has been helped by DW and a great set of receivers, but I don't mean to take away from his own abilities and work.