• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Huff Signed!!

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's still okay sometimes, but a lot of the time it's a whole lot of Sabean hate instead of analyzing deals objectively. I mean if you don't like the move fine, tell us why, but most of them would rather use snark and fallacies to converse with you.

Well that shows how worthless the place is now. I never really looked at it and certainly won't now. How can there be hate less than 3 weeks after winning the freaking World Series? Gee, Sabean is way dumber than posters at MCC, that proves it!

I'm not above criticizing a deal or two, but it's mostly in fun. Bottom line is none of us knows 1/10 of what goes on behind these deals. The other teams, the phone calls, the agents, the planning with ownership, etc. I get that part of the fun of fandom is second-guessing management but can't the MCC knuckleheads give it a rest until, like, 2011?

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well that shows how worthless the place is now. I never really looked at it and certainly won't now. How can there be hate less than 3 weeks after winning the freaking World Series? Gee, Sabean is way dumber than posters at MCC, that proves it!

I'm not above criticizing a deal or two, but it's mostly in fun. Bottom line is none of us knows 1/10 of what goes on behind these deals. The other teams, the phone calls, the agents, the planning with ownership, etc. I get that part of the fun of fandom is second-guessing management but can't the MCC knuckleheads give it a rest until, like, 2011?

Sheep! Baaaaaaa! No free passes ever! Down with the establishment! Rebel against all World Series winning authority! My team would've won sooner! I had a trade idea that would've gotten the Giants Crawford, Uggla and Pujols while only giving up Sandoval, Burriss, Runzler and Schierholtz. Sweep next time! Zito's contract! Rowand's contract! A.J. Pierzynski. Blah. Blah. Blah.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sheep! Baaaaaaa! No free passes ever! Down with the establishment! Rebel against all World Series winning authority! My team would've won sooner! I had a trade idea that would've gotten the Giants Crawford, Uggla and Pujols while only giving up Sandoval, Burriss, Runzler and Schierholtz. Sweep next time! Zito's contract! Rowand's contract! A.J. Pierzynski. Blah. Blah. Blah.

LMAO :D:D

And I just laugh my ass off when some self-serious poster calls someone else a 'sheep'. I fucking love that. The logic is: if you like your team, actually, my team too, you are lame, and just happy to be a fan. A real fan, like me, actually hates the team...hates the guys in charge especially. It's so simple! So to review: any rooting for a team makes you a 'homer' and a 'sheep'. Actively being against your management and expecting your team to do poorly makes you a 'fan'. Get it?

Last edited by a moderator:

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LMAO :D:D

And I just laugh my ass off when some self-serious poster calls someone else a 'sheep'. I fucking love that. The logic is: if you like your team, actually, my team too, you are lame, and just happy to be a fan. A real fan, like me, actually hates the team...hates the guys in charge especially. It's so simple! So to review: any rooting for a team makes you a 'homer' and a 'sheep'. Actively being against your management and expecting your team to do poorly makes you a 'fan'. Get it?

It's crystal clear. Now go buy a "World Series Championship" T-shirt, homer.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great signing!!! Management is letting the players and fans know that it is serious about going for the repeat. The deal is short (2 or 3 years) and 10-11 million/year is a bargain these days considering what other free agents are getting. Relatively speaking, the Giants are not committing a lot of money here. When Belt is ready, the Giants can move Huff to LF. Also, Belt might be able to play LF.

Was reading a fangraphs article yesterday which pegged WAR at $4-5MM per. Huff was a 4.0 WAR last year which equates out to $16-20MM. At $10MM in 2011 and 2012 he'd need to put up WARs around 2.0-2.5 to be "worth" it.

I think he's got a good chance to exceed his contract.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was reading a fangraphs article yesterday which pegged WAR at $4-5MM per. Huff was a 4.0 WAR last year which equates out to $16-20MM. At $10MM in 2011 and 2012 he'd need to put up WARs around 2.0-2.5 to be "worth" it.

I think he's got a good chance to exceed his contract.

Edit:

Huff's 2010 WAR was 5.7, not 4.0 (I should NEVER rely on my memory), so his "true value" was between $22.8MM and $28.5MM last year. Amazing production for $3MM.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

DUDEZ WE GAVE UP JOHNNIE BOWKER FOR JAVIER LOPEZ! WE ARE DOOMED!

FRED LEWIS! AAAARGGH!

Most of them there still say that they would have kept Lewis and not signed Burrell. LOLOLOL.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DUDEZ WE GAVE UP JOHNNIE BOWKER FOR JAVIER LOPEZ! WE ARE DOOMED!

FRED LEWIS! AAAARGGH!

Most of them there still say that they would have kept Lewis and not signed Burrell. LOLOLOL.

I admit, I wanted to keep Fred Lewis, thought he'd be a good leadoff man in a time where Rowand was our best choice. But after Torres and Fred's commenst on us fans, I'm glad he got the fuck out.

xxERICSMITHXX

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
It's pretty reasonable for a guy who finished 7th in the MVP voting...

That's how I'm looking at this.

The problem is the Giants are paying him for his production over the next 2 years, not last year.

He was coming off of a pretty rough year before the Giants first signed him (so you know it is in him), he is only getting older and isn't really a great defender (it could be really uggly in two years if he has to play the OF and age really catches up to him), he struggled at the end of the season.

I would have preferred less money and only 1 guaranteed year, but it isn't the end of the world. The biggest problem is the Zito and Rowand deals make these kind of deals harder to stomach when it really shouldn't be as big of a deal.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The problem is the Giants are paying him for his production over the next 2 years, not last year.

He was coming off of a pretty rough year before the Giants first signed him (so you know it is in him), he is only getting older and isn't really a great defender (it could be really uggly in two years if he has to play the OF and age really catches up to him), he struggled at the end of the season.

I would have preferred less money and only 1 guaranteed year, but it isn't the end of the world. The biggest problem is the Zito and Rowand deals make these kind of deals harder to stomach when it really shouldn't be as big of a deal.

I'd argue that he's a good defender now. He was +5.7 in the field this year and it's because he lost weight and is more athletic than he was in the AL years when he got a bad rap. My eyes told me the same thing, he's pretty good at 1st base and average in the outfield.

xxERICSMITHXX

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'd argue that he's a good defender now. He was +5.7 in the field this year and it's because he lost weight and is more athletic than he was in the AL years when he got a bad rap. My eyes told me the same thing, he's pretty good at 1st base and average in the outfield.

I wasn't talking about now, I'm talking about in two years. If he is average now and really slows down he could potentially be a nightmare in the OF, if you couple that with a year like 09 he is a nightmare.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I wasn't talking about now, I'm talking about in two years. If he is average now and really slows down he could potentially be a nightmare in the OF, if you couple that with a year like 09 he is a nightmare.

Yes, but if Belt is legit and can hit, wouldn't it make sense to put Belt in the outfield an Huff at 1st? I'm fairly confident Huff could at least be "average" at 1st for 2 more years. It's the easiest position on the diamond to play.

xxERICSMITHXX

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yes, but if Belt is legit and can hit, wouldn't it make sense to put Belt in the outfield an Huff at 1st? I'm fairly confident Huff could at least be "average" at 1st for 2 more years. It's the easiest position on the diamond to play.

Would you want Huff at 1B if he put up a year like he did in 09? I'm not saying he is going to go to complete shit over the course of the contract. I'm just saying you have to think about the how you think he will perform over the course of the contract when giving him his new contract, not about what he did in the past.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Would you want Huff at 1B if he put up a year like he did in 09? I'm not saying he is going to go to complete shit over the course of the contract. I'm just saying you have to think about the how you think he will perform over the course of the contract when giving him his new contract, not about what he did in the past.

I prefer not to look at things in doom and gloom 3D glasses. Just wait until Konerko, Berkman and all the others get paid, this deal will look like a steal. Huff got himself in shape this season and was a different player offensively and defensively. Simple as that.

xxERICSMITHXX

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I prefer not to look at things in doom and gloom 3D glasses. Just wait until Konerko, Berkman and all the others get paid, this deal will look like a steal. Huff got himself in shape this season and was a different player offensively and defensively. Simple as that.

So are you disagreeing with my thinking that you have to consider how a player will perform over the course of his contract instead of just looking at what he did last year?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
So are you disagreeing with my thinking that you have to consider how a player will perform over the course of his contract instead of just looking at what he did last year?

No. I don't think I said anything close to that. I am disagreeing with you that Huff will become a player that won't be worth the contract.

xxERICSMITHXX

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
No. I don't think I said anything close to that. I am disagreeing with you that Huff will become a player that won't be worth the contract.

I'm confused because I didn't say that...

All I said was that you can't just consider what a player did in his past, you have to think about what he is going to do in the future. Look at my first post in this thread, I'm only responding that you can't really look at contracts the way that was quoted.

Last edited by a moderator: