• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How's everyone feeling about 2015?

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Curious how the board is feeling about this crappy start (I mean besides the obvious...)

I've never been more relaxed as a fan. With 3 in 5, I honestly don't really care how they do this year. Obviously I prefer they compete, but I don't think they are really giving a full push this year due to expiring contracts and rather slim pickings in the FA market. 2016 will be when they make a push again.

They still have the potential for a good year but I don't think they are trying that hard for it. As I said, it's almost weird for me not actually caring too terribly much.

So far this feels like 2011 post Poseyocalypse. Good pitching and no offense.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also before we start sucking each other's dicks about Lincecum's nice first start....his non-Padres ERA last year was 7.50

I am expecting a decent enough year for a 5th starter though, contract year.

1phlapdown

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, after last years E-ticket mega-roller-coaster ride, how could anyone not feel that there's a lot of baseball to be played, and that almost anything can and will happen. Whose to say that there won't be a/some Hicksian/Morseian standout(s) that will carry the team for a couple of months like last year. Those two guys saved the year with their Babe imitations in Apr/May. I'm skeptical that the PTB pick and choose which year to go balls to the wall with regards to funding and trading, and which to slack off, but I know a lot less about this game than some of you fellers.

Noggin may start pressing the right buttons and get his players to start manufacturing runs. Heck with Aoki hitting the way he is, and Oxy playing every day, mostly, and Herk getting ready to play, that's a hellluva first three guys to go thru 3 or 4 times in a game if you're the opposing P.

If Tim continues his 3.0, and Charlton keeps giving good outings, etc., etc., etc.,

(after reading you second post) Maybe his off season changes have really helped. You know, the dad being back in the picture?

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, after last years E-ticket mega-roller-coaster ride, how could anyone not feel that there's a lot of baseball to be played, and that almost anything can and will happen. Whose to say that there won't be a/some Hicksian/Morseian standout(s) that will carry the team for a couple of months like last year. Those two guys saved the year with their Babe imitations in Apr/May. I'm skeptical that the PTB pick and choose which year to go balls to the wall with regards to funding and trading, and which to slack off, but I know a lot less about this game than some of you fellers.

Noggin may start pressing the right buttons and get his players to start manufacturing runs. Heck with Aoki hitting the way he is, and Oxy playing every day, mostly, and Herk getting ready to play, that's a hellluva first three guys to go thru 3 or 4 times in a game if you're the opposing P.

If Tim continues his 3.0, and Charlton keeps giving good outings, etc., etc., etc.,

No doubt there's a path to success that's not totally impossible, and the factors you mention will have to happen. Just saying my emotions have never been less stressed as a fan. We have nothing to prove as a franchise right now.

As far as the PTB, isn't it kind of obvious they didn't go all out this year? I think they made a conscious decision after missing on Lester to just 'limp in' this year and hope to get really lucky, vs actually filling holes. Next year a ton of really good pitchers are on the market, and they will have Timmy and Huddy's money to spend.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is tough to follow, but I am certainly not writing the season off. It is a bad week, fed by a brutal starting schedule and injuries.

If we fall 8 games (or so) back, while in last place, then I will begin to "accept" our fate and adjust expectations. As it is, we weren't expecting to run away with the division by any stretch, so lets just watch everything play out.

To more directly answer your question, I am OK with sucking this year. I just don't want to end with the 14th pick. I expect to be players in the FA market next year, and I want to keep our pick if we truly suck.

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like "good pitching" is being kind.

Heston has been very good, but still very unproven.

Bumgarner I'm not concerned about (though I'd like to limit his innings)

Lincecum is....If he can be the No.5 SP this year with a ERA in the mid-high 4's, I'll be happy

Peavy is averagone.

Hudson....the WHIP is really going to bother me and I think by July, some of the luck/arm thins out

But I'm cool with this season. FO wisely didn't overspend, made cheap, temporary adds (though I prefer Duffy at 3B over acquiring McGehee)

I'm actually more fine with the offense this year than the SP

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's time to face facts, friends. With a mere 152 games left after tonight, this season is over. Time to look forward to 2016.

You can't come back from a loss like this.

That said, I was just pointing out that I've never been less bothered by a Giants team playing crappy. It's all house money to me.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can't come back from a loss like this.

That said, I was just pointing out that I've never been less bothered by a Giants team playing crappy. It's all house money to me.

Totally agree with you. I'm not at all concerned, though i am disappointed in this ragged start. And the RISP thing does bother me some.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Totally agree with you. I'm not at all concerned, though i am disappointed in this ragged start. And the RISP thing does bother me some.

We'd be terrible Yankee fans. (THank Yahweh)

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you really look at it, the RISP thing is the only thing that is causing this.

We are getting guys on. We are getting guys into scoring position. Pitching has been passable. Defense has not been as solid as I would have hoped, but it has still been solid.

The RISP has absolutely killed everything. Pure and simple.

Band of Brothers

A Dreamer...trying to find my way home for dinner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought they could of used a RF to start the season . Sabes decided not to get one. This losing streak has been tough.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tz...

Has a team that has gotten off to this bad a start ever won the series?

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tz...

Has a team that has gotten off to this bad a start ever won the series?

I'd be pretty floored if it's ever happened but yeah would like to know...

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt there's a path to success that's not totally impossible, and the factors you mention will have to happen. Just saying my emotions have never been less stressed as a fan. We have nothing to prove as a franchise right now.

As far as the PTB, isn't it kind of obvious they didn't go all out this year? I think they made a conscious decision after missing on Lester to just 'limp in' this year and hope to get really lucky, vs actually filling holes. Next year a ton of really good pitchers are on the market, and they will have Timmy and Huddy's money to spend.

I'm always flabbergasted by this opinion expressed about 2015. Opening day payroll went up by $24M compared to last year, and the Giants have the 4th largest payroll in MLB (basically tied with the tiggers). They were supposed to raise salary by $35M and that would have been OK? $45M? They spent a LOT more money on this season than last.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm always flabbergasted by this opinion expressed about 2015. Opening day payroll went up by $24M compared to last year, and the Giants have the 4th largest payroll in MLB (basically tied with the tiggers). They were supposed to raise salary by $35M and that would have been OK? $45M? They spent a LOT more money on this season than last.
I think you are missing msg's point.

He is not calling the team cheap. He is saying that once they missed on the few targets they were even half-way interested in, they decided that they did not like the remaining market and chose to not play their hand too aggressively.

I have made this analogy in the past, and I think it still fits...

If you have a 9 10 s in the hole, you are willing to play it aggressive pre-flop, maybe even call a raise out of position. But you are not going to get in the way of other players going crazy. This past off season, the Giants MAYBE had 7 8 o, and they decided not to commit their stack in that situation.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is way too early to throw away the season. Reagrdless, very hard to repeat as champs. I think this year will start a transitional year with the pitching staff as we move away from some of the old guys and probably Lincecum towards some of the kids.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you are missing msg's point.

He is not calling the team cheap. He is saying that once they missed on the few targets they were even half-way interested in, they decided that they did not like the remaining market and chose to not play their hand too aggressively.

I have made this analogy in the past, and I think it still fits...

If you have a 9 10 s in the hole, you are willing to play it aggressive pre-flop, maybe even call a raise out of position. But you are not going to get in the way of other players going crazy. This past off season, the Giants MAYBE had 7 8 o, and they decided not to commit their stack in that situation.

Pretty good analogy, but perhaps this comes closer...

We have KQ suited as hole cards - good hand, but not great (we are the defending WS champs, after all). The flop comes A-Q-10 rainbow. We have an inside straight draw, and middle pair, but some drunk millionaires have been at the table a while, and start 3- and 4-betting, and big. We fold, content with our winnings, and wait for a better situation. Someone's got aces, and bigger stacks. We won't shove on a longshot. We like our image, and won't blow it because we trust our reads.