• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How to spend the money?!

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Rogers and Goldson are my 2 top priorities.

Brooks I could let walk, I have more confidence in replacing Brooks via the draft
vs. getting a great starting CB or great starting CB via the draft.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Well the cost is going to be a lot more. For example, I think Tamba Hali and Woodley got tagged recently and it was around 10 million.

Thats a lot for a player like Brooks who should probably be in the 4 or 5 mill range. He's not close to the same class as those players IMO.

he may not be quite as good from the pass rushing standpoint, but with 7 sacks he isn't invisible? next, he's good against the run and apparently in coverage too? so if you look at Brooks overall, he brings a lot to our defense.

IMO Brooks is worth more than 4-5 M, cause its difficult to obtain an almost complete OLB. there isn't an OLB who's solid in all three phases, but he's isn't far off.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Rogers and Goldson are my 2 top priorities.

Brooks I could let walk, I have more confidence in replacing Brooks via the draft
vs. getting a great starting CB or great starting CB via the draft.

if you can get enough pressure, we can manage with lesser CB's. if you have a great CB but less pressure, the CB can only do so much. i'd re-sign Brooks if possible, and take his overall game.

we focus too much on just sacks, just like we assume Aldon is a complete OLB because he can get sacks. i know sacks is the biggest factor, but not the only one.

ok, not adamant we re-sign Brooks, but just feel we're only measuring them by sacks.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
IF we had to add a vet QB (Alex demands too much), prefer someone like Josh Johnson, someone we know is more atheltic and fits what Harbaugh envisions. this will also cost a lot less than Peyton.

this vet wouldn't be the 'future', but will bridge the gap similar to Alex Smith.

RedneckNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of the two I would keep Rogers and let Dashon Walk a safety is a lot easier and cheaper to replace than a a good quality corner.

luckyluke22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I like what Rogers brings to the table more than Dashon. Rogers is a more mature, savvy veteran. Whereas I remember Dashon getting the penalty for kicking the football, going for the big hit and letting Fitz catch the ball and go the distance, etc. I'm not sure who would be easier to replace, but I'd rather invest in Rogers. If neither gets an interception next year I'd rather have Rogers cover skills than Dashons rib-splitting hits.

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Niners can replace Brooks, then I would rather sign Rogers and franchise Dashon. It's difficult to find quality CB's. The question is whether Rogers will ask too much that the Niners have no other option but to let him walk. Hopefully, Brooks will sign for the same amount that Parys did in 2009.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I like what Rogers brings to the table more than Dashon. Rogers is a more mature, savvy veteran. Whereas I remember Dashon getting the penalty for kicking the football, going for the big hit and letting Fitz catch the ball and go the distance, etc. I'm not sure who would be easier to replace, but I'd rather invest in Rogers. If neither gets an interception next year I'd rather have Rogers cover skills than Dashons rib-splitting hits.

but it could be a similar situation to Clements?

Rogers is solid NOW but will he be 3 years from now? don't blame him for seeking a 5 year deal, a big deal.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
but it could be a similar situation to Clements?

Rogers is solid NOW but will he be 3 years from now? don't blame him for seeking a 5 year deal, a big deal.

Then we cut him. It's the way the league works. We can't pass on signing a quality player to a fair contract in 2012 because of how he may play in 2013.

Eventually we have to look at the current team's opportunity to win and what we need to do to get over the hump in the next year or two rather than five years from now.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Then we cut him. It's the way the league works. We can't pass on signing a quality player to a fair contract in 2012 because of how he may play in 2013.

Eventually we have to look at the current team's opportunity to win and what we need to do to get over the hump in the next year or two rather than five years from now.

but thats the question......will it be a fair contract? it'll likely be fair for the next 2 years, but what about afterward? cause he wants a 5 year deal, not one.

yeah we can cut him, but then take a bigger cap hit similar to Clements.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if we don't resign rogers we'll need to go after someone's elses starting corner. we're still gonna need to add depth even if we resign rogers. either through the draft or a low end free agent

luckyluke22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think Rogers still has a lot of gas left in the tank. Id take my chance on a four year deal, the fifth may be pushing it but let's cross out fingers and say Rogers revitalizes his career a la Charlie Woodson. He's what 36/37? If Rogers is still covering slot and #1's now, I'd be comfortable with him and four year deal

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks to MM:
McDonald, Whitner, Akers and Goodwin combined for $8.65M in 2011 cap space.

That makes me very excited about our off-season. Marathe is gonna have a feast.

MM also thinks Goldson might have the highest cap hit for re-signed players next season at $6.2 if he gets franchised.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but thats the question......will it be a fair contract? it'll likely be fair for the next 2 years, but what about afterward? cause he wants a 5 year deal, not one.

yeah we can cut him, but then take a bigger cap hit similar to Clements.

Deep, Clements' contract was mostly window dressing, the proverbial feather in the cap of the agent and player, in order to say (at the time) "highest defensive player in the game". The final years of Clements' contract were damn near pointless and were not guaranteed.

I wholeheartedly agree with Imac. Too many people on this board want to buy potential and are scared of production. Rogers is producing NOW. He had a career year NOW. He is showing to be playing his best football NOW. Why would we pass on an opportunity to sign a player of his caliber and if he starts to produce a la Claments, then we simply cut him like all teams do. I don't think that a 4 yr deal, front loaded is all that terrible. Rogers is fundamentally sound, is smart, and was one of the main reasons why our pass defense was as good as it was. Assuming that Rogers isn't going to shoot the moon with what he will be asking, we MUST re-sign him.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think Rogers still has a lot of gas left in the tank. Id take my chance on a four year deal, the fifth may be pushing it but let's cross out fingers and say Rogers revitalizes his career a la Charlie Woodson. He's what 36/37? If Rogers is still covering slot and #1's now, I'd be comfortable with him and four year deal

this is the same thought process they took on Clements.....he has a lot of gas left in the tank. only wasn't Clements around 28? no argument Rogers will be good for the next two years, thats not what i'm asking. but problem is you have to commit to him for five.

when fathter time kicks in, it typically isn't linear.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Deep, Clements' contract was mostly window dressing, the proverbial feather in the cap of the agent and player, in order to say (at the time) "highest defensive player in the game". The final years of Clements' contract were damn near pointless and were not guaranteed.

I wholeheartedly agree with Imac. Too many people on this board want to buy potential and are scared of production. Rogers is producing NOW. He had a career year NOW. He is showing to be playing his best football NOW. Why would we pass on an opportunity to sign a player of his caliber and if he starts to produce a la Claments, then we simply cut him like all teams do. I don't think that a 4 yr deal, front loaded is all that terrible. Rogers is fundamentally sound, is smart, and was one of the main reasons why our pass defense was as good as it was. Assuming that Rogers isn't going to shoot the moon with what he will be asking, we MUST re-sign him.

i'm NOT against signing Rogers, in fact the opposite is true.

BUT, want us to sign him to what he's worth, not pay him whatever HE wants because "we really need him". this is the same for all our free agents, at their individual levels.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
i'm NOT against signing Rogers, in fact the opposite is true.

BUT, want us to sign him to what he's worth, not pay him whatever HE wants because "we really need him". this is the same for all our free agents, at their individual levels.

But your focus, for whatever reason, is about an unknown time.

How will he perform in 4 years? What will the cap be in 2015? If Rogers cap number in 4 years is 14M, is that too high?

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

How will he perform in 4 years? What will the cap be in 2015? If Rogers cap number in 4 years is 14M, is that too high?

if rogers cap number is 14m in 4 years, he'll be doing up his resume for the inevitable

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

so we're not supposed to look ahead when signing players? we're supposed to just deal with their last season?

again, you project best you can and come up with a value, then negotiate near those values. but you wouldn't take his last season and say he'll do the same up to and including 2015? or are you saying he will?

are you saying its ok to give Rogers four years at 14M/year, cause the cap is going up? the problem with this thinking is......we have 53 players to manage, other contracts come due by 2015.