• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How the Sox landed two of the top 20 in the draft

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
https://www.soxon35th.com/2020/06/19/white-sox-fourth-rounder-kade-mechals-agree-to-deal/

The Sox 3rd round pick signed for $50k - $700,000 below slot - and the 4th round pick signed for $10k - $500,000 below slot. I guess the Sox are asking the 5th rounder how much he is willing to pay the Sox to sign him.

The signings don't appear to be below slot - as much as below self-worth.
Those differences are going to end up as extra Kelley bonus money. The price you pay for keeping a talented kid from entering college. Apparently from the moment he was available to the Sox at 47, they were going with just a two man draft, moneywise. I'm more than fine with how they handled this draft, but I still wish that they'd be a bit more aggressive in the UDFA market.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those differences are going to end up as extra Kelley bonus money. The price you pay for keeping a talented kid from entering college. Apparently from the moment he was available to the Sox at 47, they were going with just a two man draft, moneywise. I'm more than fine with how they handled this draft, but I still wish that they'd be a bit more aggressive in the UDFA market.

The Sox only bonus the 4th rounder with $10k - so the $20k UDFA market has to clear out before the Sox try to clean up with the $5k guys left over.

I don't mind them going all out for the top two picks, but it really shouldn't mean they should retire of the player acquisition opportunity. Sign some Cubans - do something.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Sox only bonus the 4th rounder with $10k - so the $20k UDFA market has to clear out before the Sox try to clean up with the $5k guys left over.

I don't mind them going all out for the top two picks, but it really shouldn't mean they should retire of the player acquisition opportunity. Sign some Cubans - do something.
Agreed. As I stated in another post, I think the Sox are pretty solid with their top 15 or so prospects, and rank right up there with the best orgs in the league. But after that the talent quickly starts to taper off. We're kinda like that proverbial chick with the super rack, but lousy hips, ass, and legs. Being top heavy will carry you only so far.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That face when a couple diehard sox fans talkin’ about how our talent in the minors is thin and we better snag some undrafted players to fill ourselves out when we’ve finished bottom half of the league 8 of the past 10 years...

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finally - the Sox sign Duke Ellis - Texas CF - can run - catch and get on base - has not shown much power.

Brandon Jenkins - Seattle - RHP - his coach says he has the best arm on the West Coast. Throws a fast ball in the upper 90's - appears to be a bullpen prospect.