• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How far can we go? Playoff thread

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need to win out and we do that ...that is all we can do . if nothing it sets up to be a team that now knows we have a real coach and that means players will want to come to Denver again

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Broncos can win out and the Chiefs drop one game, the tiebreaker would hand the division to Denver. Not a likely outcome but just being able to say it seems like a miracle for a team that was once sitting at 1-5. Chiefs schedule looks easier than the Broncos but you just never know.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am pretty sure the Chiefs have to drop not only 1 game but it would have to be against the Raiders or Chargers.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Broncos can win out and the Chiefs drop one game, the tiebreaker would hand the division to Denver. Not a likely outcome but just being able to say it seems like a miracle for a team that was once sitting at 1-5. Chiefs schedule looks easier than the Broncos but you just never know.
I don’t think the Chiefs schedule looks easier, it’s the exact same as ours except we play Detroit and they play Cindy and based on how those teams looked this week, Cincy looks like the tougher opponent.

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t think the Chiefs schedule looks easier, it’s the exact same as ours except we play Detroit and they play Cindy and based on how those teams looked this week, Cincy looks like the tougher opponent.

Yeah, not an easy call as to who has it tougher but the Chiefs are taking on the Bengals at Arrowhead, while the Broncos have to go on the road against an angry Lions team.

Mountain Bronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lions will be fired up, but man they don't look very good right now so it is still a winnable game, but if we drop it, I don't believe it will be the end of the world. We do have to win our last 3 AFC games to have a shot with it likely coming down to tiebreak scenarios. Get in and the AFC is pretty wide open this year though.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the 7 games since the 1-5 start the Broncos are giving an astounding 15.7 PPG. That’s stellar defense. This is the same unit that allowed 70. Mind blowing turnaround. And here’s the best part: they have done so against a slate of opponents only 1 of which is below .500. Even the Packers are now at 6-6 going into their game against the Giants tonight. How many people wrote off that second win because the Packers were 2-3 going in? Not a quality win, the draft fans lamented.

This Broncos team is legit. They’ve turned around their season and they’ve done it against a very good slate of opponents.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think there is a high probability that if the Broncos win out that they would make a Wild Card regardless of what happens with the Chiefs.

Anyone remember the 2002 NFL season? The year the Raiders and Bucs met in the SB. Practically the entire AFC was near .500 with three basement teams at the bottom. We aren't seeing that much parity this year but its close.

Chiefs are still in the drivers seat but if we do see a full meltdown then the draft is perfectly set up to bolster the Chiefs offense in the future if they miss the playoffs.

Regardless, I do think Sean Payton has proven that he knows what he is doing.

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think there is a high probability that if the Broncos win out that they would make a Wild Card regardless of what happens with the Chiefs.

Anyone remember the 2002 NFL season? The year the Raiders and Bucs met in the SB. Practically the entire AFC was near .500 with three basement teams at the bottom. We aren't seeing that much parity this year but its close.

Chiefs are still in the drivers seat but if we do see a full meltdown then the draft is perfectly set up to bolster the Chiefs offense in the future if they miss the playoffs.

Regardless, I do think Sean Payton has proven that he knows what he is doing.

I agree that the Broncos get in if they win out. I still think playing the Lions on the road is going to be a tall task. The other three games (Patriots @home, Chargers @home and Raiders on the road) are pretty winnable. However, to have any kind of chance to take the AFC West away from the Chiefs, they'll need to win out and get some help from Kansas City.

Definitely remember 2002 season and you're right, it's close.

Sean Payton is quickly winning over Broncos fans that have been pretty disillusioned since PFM rode off into the sunset and took Gary Kubiak with him. A new era seems to be dawning but we still have to figure out the long term QB situation.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A quick comment of Wilson/Salary Cap - with this year's salary cap number for the past season and the number for next year - the salary cap will have gone up $35 million for the Broncos by next season. Basically, whatever the merits of Wilson's contract - it only took two years of salary cap boosts to accommodate his salary. A team's starting QB salary number is just an accounting bookmark for next year's QB whoever that is.

When this year's playoffs come up - I'm bullish on the Broncos getting into the playoffs - and making noise. If Bronco history was laid out it would indicate this kind of odd season is just the kind of season the Broncos are famous for. The first Super Bowl win was after a season where it appeared the Broncos were out of it with 4 games to play and in turmoil due to Romo spitting in someone's face. That Bronco's team won an incredible amount of road games against top league opponents to end the season and into the playoffs. The great indicator about this team is they continue to get better.

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A quick comment of Wilson/Salary Cap - with this year's salary cap number for the past season and the number for next year - the salary cap will have gone up $35 million for the Broncos by next season. Basically, whatever the merits of Wilson's contract - it only took two years of salary cap boosts to accommodate his salary. A team's starting QB salary number is just an accounting bookmark for next year's QB whoever that is.

When this year's playoffs come up - I'm bullish on the Broncos getting into the playoffs - and making noise. If Bronco history was laid out it would indicate this kind of odd season is just the kind of season the Broncos are famous for. The first Super Bowl win was after a season where it appeared the Broncos were out of it with 4 games to play and in turmoil due to Romo spitting in someone's face. That Bronco's team won an incredible amount of road games against top league opponents to end the season and into the playoffs. The great indicator about this team is they continue to get better.

Awesome post and great memories!! I'll never forget those playoff wins on the road. It was magical.

Mountain Bronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As Mingo said, they continue to get better and that is what you want. Kudos to Sean Payton for resetting this teams culture. We are lucky to have a top 5-7 coach in this league.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty much worst case scenario today with Houston and Cleveland both winning. Not to mention Cincinnati jumping us yesterday with their win and our loss.

The next game Denver loses probably kills any chance at the playoffs.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty much worst case scenario today with Houston and Cleveland both winning. Not to mention Cincinnati jumping us yesterday with their win and our loss.

The next game Denver loses probably kills any chance at the playoffs.

From this point forward, Broncos win out there is a very very good chance they are in. Of all the remaining games, this one (@ Lions) was the least important.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not against the proposition that the Broncos sweep the remaining games.

SpiritOf77

Lucas707
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From my observation, what is different about this Bronco team comes from Sean Payton and flows downward ..

Even more than Mike Shanahan ( who always took a backseat to John Elway, rightfully so ), Sean Payton is the X Factor where, come playoff time, teams will have to prepare for him ... A "Sean Payton Team" is just as likely to pull off a playoff upset as a John Elway team might, regardless of who is on the field ....

We have not had that, really, ever ... When Gus Frerotte started that playoff game in Baltimore, nobody was thinking that Shanahan would put his stamp on and win that game ... He was a good HC, but as evidenced in what he did after John Elway retired, he wasn't winning games on his own ...

Yes, there have been clunkers this season, but give this time, and we will see the Sean Payton magic in Denver ...

If the Broncos squeak into the playoffs - even without the horses some teams have - I wouldn't want to be the team that has to face us, and that is the Sean Payton Factor

John Fox, Vance, Fangio, even Kubiak and obviously Hackett - none of those guys are out coaching Andy Reid in January ... Payton can and will if it comes down to it

Mountain Bronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kubiak won a super bowl with a washed Manning through a tough D and very smart offensive game planning and play calling. His performance on the road to SB 50 is not appreciated enough in my opinion. Winning as many games as he did with Trevor Siemen was something to marvel at as well. Gary Kubiak was a hell of a coach IMO.