• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

how does the team fix its woes ?

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ok let start with the good guys we have

RG3 KC are a good pair at QB
AM and helu are a good pair at RB
WR garcon is a good number one and a healthy hank is a number 3 wr
williams is a GOOd LT
TE Reed

so that is your corp offense

in the past i made the argument that the o/line isnt as bad as everyone thinks . Well it is in terms of pass protection

as much as it pains me we need 4 starting caliber o/lineman My feeling is that is a 2 year proposition to fix unless our 4 young o/lineman step up (or a portion ) i feel compton and gettis need to start the rest of the season

now for the wr corp , we need a # 2 guy and a slot guy . williams , and lewis need to get snaps to see if they can do it most likely i see us going after an avant or macklin as low cost guys to take a shot with

at Te all we really have is reed . this is a weakness that is sneaking up on us . davis is done , Paul and paulson are one dimensional blocker who add little in the passing game

now for the defense

we have Rak , kerrigan , cofield , riley , amerson , rambo b jenkins , thomas as corp guys so we need help at ILB starting and BU's virtually the entire starting secondary and both de spots both starting and back ups

we also need a better version of the 3-4 . this crap haslett uses wont cut it

this 2 looks like a 2 year project at best even if we go back to the 4-3

hall is 30 and yes he is a pro bowler this year but do we really want to pony up for the old D hall to show up again ? wilson is done and should be cut

here is what we should do overall as a team

1st go after low cost Fa's that are under age 28 . spending cash on old washed up "name guys " isnt cutting it

now we must decide how we are going to fix the team

do we put the resources on the offensive side mostly , the defensive side mostly or do we divide it up based on what is available ?

on offense i would target , velasco at center , and Oher at RT . at wr i would try to get either macklin or avant . maybe Nicks

in the draft i would look at TE and wr late

on defense jarius byrd is a must as is resign rak and riley along with a cheap hall

in the draft , o/line CB , either safety ILB are priorities early . take the BPA

we do have more cuts we can make but dead space could creep in for a few years

for the coaching staff , we need a new o/line coach , special teams coach , a new DC DBs coach LB and d/line coaches

we have huge issues with tackling , clock management , communication , scheme problems and team discipline.

i think shanahan has done some good things and was handed a crap sandwich with little talent a lousey cap situation , CBA issues and an unfair cap penalty however the above issues are coaching issue that have nothing to do with the situation you are handed

it is poor accountability and coaching

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice summary skins dad. While things can improve significantly next year, sadly, it will most likely take 2-3 years to fill in the holes. Maybe not, things change so much, year to year, and week to week, but a few years seems the most realistic long view, based on what we've been seeing on the field currently.

Oline can't be completely revamped in one year, neither can the defense. Both need to be addressed simultaneously as best we can. While I have believed from the beginning that the Oline was equally as important as the D to address in 2015, welcome aboard that thought train.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dad, you are starting to sound an awful lot like me:suds:

One point. We don't have Rak and Riley......yet. We have to sign them with our cap space. Also, Hall should be re=signed for a 2 or 3 year deal, with the 3rd year voidable. He has matured and can help amerson with the transition. So between those 3 (assuming we sign both Rak and Riley), we have just eaten up around $15M in cap space, give or take one or 2 M. If we can sign Byrd, there goes another 5-7M. So with these 4, we have eaten up approximately 20-22M, or 2/3 of our available cap space.

Because of this, Oher is out of the question. We may have to live with Polumbus one more year. Velasco at C is an option. So is moving Licht to center and praying Gettis can break the starting lineup next year. In any event, we need to spend 3-5M on either a C or G in FA. So now we have about 7-10M left in cap space. A #2 WR in FA is probably not going to happen (price tag of 5-7M) unless we redo some existing contracts and restructure. We still need to fill out depth with the likes of Biggers, Baker, Merriweather, Jackson, Morgan/Moss/Robinson replacements, fletcher replacement and a few others. Some will be through the draft and some will be re-signing our own. We also need to reserve a both 3-4M for our draft picks as well as 2-3M in reserve.

So this is a 2-3 year plan. But what ever we do in FA, it must be an upgrade over what we are dropping. DOn't just rearrange the chairs on the Titantic. Instead of 6-8 poor to mediocre FAs (which is what we will be dropping), sign 3-4 that can make an impact next year. This is important for a couple of reasons. First, Increasing talent in key areas tends to make the mediocre players next to him better. SO if we get a stud center, Gettis might not have to do so much. If we get a stud S, Rambo and Thomas might be able to platoon and see how a real pro does it. Second, we lack playmakers. The guys that at critical junctions in games, tend to produce. If we continue to field average players across the board just with different names on the back of their shirts, we will continue to be mediocre at best.

Really, in FA, I would identify the 5-6 key positions (S, ILB, C, G, RT, WR, CB) where we need veteran leadership and production. I would then try and land 3-4 of the best value for production in those positions for next year. If we can do that, it will be a good FA offseason.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dad, you are starting to sound an awful lot like me:suds:

One point. We don't have Rak and Riley......yet. We have to sign them with our cap space. Also, Hall should be re=signed for a 2 or 3 year deal, with the 3rd year voidable. He has matured and can help amerson with the transition. So between those 3 (assuming we sign both Rak and Riley), we have just eaten up around $15M in cap space, give or take one or 2 M. If we can sign Byrd, there goes another 5-7M. So with these 4, we have eaten up approximately 20-22M, or 2/3 of our available cap space.

Because of this, Oher is out of the question. We may have to live with Polumbus one more year. Velasco at C is an option. So is moving Licht to center and praying Gettis can break the starting lineup next year. In any event, we need to spend 3-5M on either a C or G in FA. So now we have about 7-10M left in cap space. A #2 WR in FA is probably not going to happen (price tag of 5-7M) unless we redo some existing contracts and restructure. We still need to fill out depth with the likes of Biggers, Baker, Merriweather, Jackson, Morgan/Moss/Robinson replacements, fletcher replacement and a few others. Some will be through the draft and some will be re-signing our own. We also need to reserve a both 3-4M for our draft picks as well as 2-3M in reserve.

So this is a 2-3 year plan. But what ever we do in FA, it must be an upgrade over what we are dropping. DOn't just rearrange the chairs on the Titantic. Instead of 6-8 poor to mediocre FAs (which is what we will be dropping), sign 3-4 that can make an impact next year. This is important for a couple of reasons. First, Increasing talent in key areas tends to make the mediocre players next to him better. SO if we get a stud center, Gettis might not have to do so much. If we get a stud S, Rambo and Thomas might be able to platoon and see how a real pro does it. Second, we lack playmakers. The guys that at critical junctions in games, tend to produce. If we continue to field average players across the board just with different names on the back of their shirts, we will continue to be mediocre at best.

Really, in FA, I would identify the 5-6 key positions (S, ILB, C, G, RT, WR, CB) where we need veteran leadership and production. I would then try and land 3-4 of the best value for production in those positions for next year. If we can do that, it will be a good FA offseason.

we can get more cash then just are current cap penalty space . you have to figure cutting chester , monty , stieger , and wilson will free up 10-12 mil carriker is also a candidate to be shown the door as could bowen . there is money out there

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we can get more cash then just are current cap penalty space . you have to figure cutting chester , monty , stieger , and wilson will free up 10-12 mil carriker is also a candidate to be shown the door as could bowen . there is money out there

Wilson is already a FA. I can't see us cutting Stieger, we don't have anyone to replace him with. Same goes for Mongomery. Chester, absolutely, just don't know what kind of dead money he carries, but it can't be much. Carriker and Bowen are different matters. They have big contracts and the dead money is probably significant. Hate to say it, but the best thing that could happen to carriker is that he never recovers and has to retire.

What we might be able to do is restructure Williams to free up a couple of M and lock him up for the next 5 years. There is probably a couple others, like Cofield, which we can do the same.

Krusheasy

Still Not a Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 474.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wilson is already a FA. I can't see us cutting Stieger, we don't have anyone to replace him with. Same goes for Mongomery. Chester, absolutely, just don't know what kind of dead money he carries, but it can't be much. Carriker and Bowen are different matters. They have big contracts and the dead money is probably significant. Hate to say it, but the best thing that could happen to carriker is that he never recovers and has to retire.

What we might be able to do is restructure Williams to free up a couple of M and lock him up for the next 5 years. There is probably a couple others, like Cofield, which we can do the same.

LBF and morgan also have voidable contracts not counted in that 31 mil .

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carriker has a $3.5M dead money cap hit next year and Bowen is $5M. We can't afford to cut either of those guys.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LBF and morgan also have voidable contracts not counted in that 31 mil .

Right. They are both free agents. Check out spotrac.com. It is up to date on all contract statuses.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carriker has a $3.5M dead money cap hit next year and Bowen is $5M. We can't afford to cut either of those guys.

well once that dead cap money is gone you have 9 mil in future years
morgan and LBF have cap hits as well

2015 could be set up well as well