• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How do you think the Giants have played vs teams over .500?

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's better than I thought, 34-27, best in the NL West (interestingly same pace as overall)

We are very pitching and defense heavy but that can work maybe in this new era, Tampa style.

Playoffs it's pretty much a crapshoot anyway. Need the bats to get healthy and wake up still to do anything in the postseason.

But it's nice to have the pitching and defense part working.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is a crapshoot. Think about the star power the Padres, Mets and Yankees built this year (top 3 payrolls this year). The Yankees are the best of that group but they are still doing worse than the Giants. Yet the Rangers, Phillies, Dodgers and Astros (4-7) are all top contenders. Would the Giants be better or worse at this point in the season with "more talent" (i.e. better hitters, better back end starters)? Maybe, maybe not.
I'm not trying to argue for or against big spending. I just find it interesting that loading up on "proven" talent doesn't automatically translate to championships or even postseason.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is a crapshoot. Think about the star power the Padres, Mets and Yankees built this year (top 3 payrolls this year). The Yankees are the best of that group but they are still doing worse than the Giants. Yet the Rangers, Phillies, Dodgers and Astros (4-7) are all top contenders. Would the Giants be better or worse at this point in the season with "more talent" (i.e. better hitters, better back end starters)? Maybe, maybe not.
I'm not trying to argue for or against big spending. I just find it interesting that loading up on "proven" talent doesn't automatically translate to championships or even postseason.
For sure, looks like we dodged a bullet with Correa (not producing anywhere near that contract) and maybe even Judge (already been hurt for a stretch, etc). I don't think it's 'star power' that's needed so much as legit, reliable good hitting, or at least a little above average.

Don't want this 7-2 homestand that we won with stunning pitching and defense and some lucky breaks to make us forget that this team needs to hit better. And if that means trading for or signing bats, we should consider it and not just say 'all the bats can be homegrown'. I hope that Yaz and Estrada coming back, and guys in the rest of the lineup returning to how they looked in May and June is enough.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For sure, looks like we dodged a bullet with Correa (not producing anywhere near that contract) and maybe even Judge (already been hurt for a stretch, etc). I don't think it's 'star power' that's needed so much as legit, reliable good hitting, or at least a little above average.

Don't want this 7-2 homestand that we won with stunning pitching and defense and some lucky breaks to make us forget that this team needs to hit better. And if that means trading for or signing bats, we should consider it and not just say 'all the bats can be homegrown'. I hope that Yaz and Estrada coming back, and guys in the rest of the lineup returning to how they looked in May and June is enough.
Only trades at this point would be minor league deals. No waiver wire trades any longer.

And yes, hitting needs to improve. I assume that it will but how much is uncertain.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only trades at this point would be minor league deals. No waiver wire trades any longer.

And yes, hitting needs to improve. I assume that it will but how much is uncertain.
I meant bigger picture like off-season trades....wouldn't mind getting a bat or two still if they can make an impact

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It is an old trope, but it is still accurate…

The Giants just don’t typically produce bats. In the last 20+ years…

Reynolds
Duvall
Belt
Crawford
Posey
Sandoval

Not an ELITE bat amongst them.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Reynolds
Duvall
Belt
Crawford
Posey
Sandoval

You forgot LITERALLY Travis Ishikawa.

a fine will be coming

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Reynolds
Duvall
Belt
Crawford
Posey
Sandoval

I mean, Posey was pretty damn elite for that position

5 Silver Sluggers

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, Posey was pretty damn elite for that position

5 Silver Sluggers
And Bumgarner. He was an elite hitter for his position as well.

If you squint and hop on your left foot at just the right rate, yes, Posey could qualify as a franchise level elite hitter. But I stand behind my statement.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Bumgarner. He was an elite hitter for his position as well.

If you squint and hop on your left foot at just the right rate, yes, Posey could qualify as a franchise level elite hitter. But I stand behind my statement.
You are a determined Posey contrarian I'll give you that

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are a determined Posey contrarian I'll give you that
I just try lo look at things without swallowing a narrative. Posey is great, but looking at him as a pure bat, let’s be objective, he isn’t an all-timer.

For a catcher? Great. But he if he were a + defending OFer with the EXACT bat, he wouldn’t get his knob slobbered like he does.

And my comment was about bats.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Braves are on pace to hit over 300 home runs. And they have stellar pitching. I know the playoffs are a crapshoot but LOL at us if we get to face them.