• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How did the WR position Get This way??

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has BB lost his drafting abilities? Are we as Patriots fans too spoiled and expect the best? How in the world have the Patriots found themselves in the way they have put themselves in with these WRs?

I don't put Hernandez into this conversation and Gronk either (I get they are TE but the way they played they could be WR's as well).

Did BB truly think Welker wasn't going to put up the numbers this year and was older? Did he really think DA would be healthy the entire season? One has to think there were better options out there?!? No?

Granted it is only week 2 but what happened between the pre-season with the guys and now? It's like they forgot how to play

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am perfectly happy with the receiver position. If we could add an elite guy, I'd look at it, but anything less I don't touch it.

The potential is there. They will develop.

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has BB lost his drafting abilities? Are we as Patriots fans too spoiled and expect the best? How in the world have the Patriots found themselves in the way they have put themselves in with these WRs?

I don't put Hernandez into this conversation and Gronk either (I get they are TE but the way they played they could be WR's as well).

Did BB truly think Welker wasn't going to put up the numbers this year and was older? Did he really think DA would be healthy the entire season? One has to think there were better options out there?!? No?

Granted it is only week 2 but what happened between the pre-season with the guys and now? It's like they forgot how to play

I don't think BB drafting WRs is his best asset, and yes Pats fans are spoiled or weren't fans during the Eason, Plunkett, Grogan eras. Point is there are enough ole bastards like me that remember how bad it was, but seems there are more younger fans that have never known anything but success.

If this set of WRs ends up being horrible I would target a guy like Moss as a scout or WR anaylst. Point being get a great one that knows what it takes to succeed at this level. recognizes the skill sets, and recognizes raw talent.

TKO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Belichick hasn't drafted a single WR with a high pick that can play at a high level, or even in the NFL in some cases, since Deion Branch with a 2nd rounder in 2002. Considering his track record drafting WRs, it's better for him to sign an established player with an NFL resume, and he has made some good signings going that route. His strategy of "turning the group over"" in one year hasn't been a genius move so far. He's made draft moves for players that are total reaches when he could have used the picks to move up for a player with a better chance to succeed...or at least one that's ranked in that particular round that won't shock the world when his name is called. Some of his moves make Bobby Grier look smart.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But as a whole he has done as good of a job at building a team as anyone in the NFL.

TKO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But as a whole he has done as good of a job at building a team as anyone in the NFL.

He couldn't hold Pete Carroll's jock strap if you compare those respective teams in the last four years.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pete had much higher picks to work with. Has Belichick had a draft lately picking higher than 25?

TKO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pete had much higher picks to work with. Has Belichick had a draft lately picking higher than 25?

Really?

LB Bobby Wagner/Second round (No. 47 overall),
2012 QB Russell Wilson/Third round (No. 75 overall),
2012 WR Golden Tate/Second round (No. 60 overall), 2010
RG J.R. Sweezy/Seventh round (No. 225 overall), 2012
CB Richard Sherman/Fifth round (No. 154 overall), 2011
S Kam Chancellor/Fifth round (No. 133 overall), 2010
LB K.J. Wright/Fourth round (No. 99 overall), 2011
CB Brandon Browner/Signed in 2011 after playing in Canada
DE Chris Clemons/In trade from Eagles, 2010
RB Marshawn Lynch/In trade from Bills, 2010
RT Breno Giacomini/Signed off Packers' practice squad, 2010
FB Michael Robinson/Signed in 2010 after 49ers released him.
RG Paul McQuistan/Signed in 2011.
WR Sidney Rice/Signed as unrestricted free agent in 2011
TE Zach Miller/Signed as unrestricted free agent in 2011
DT Alan Branch/Signed as unrestricted free agent in 2011

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really?

LB Bobby Wagner/Second round (No. 47 overall),
2012 QB Russell Wilson/Third round (No. 75 overall),
2012 WR Golden Tate/Second round (No. 60 overall), 2010
RG J.R. Sweezy/Seventh round (No. 225 overall), 2012
CB Richard Sherman/Fifth round (No. 154 overall), 2011
S Kam Chancellor/Fifth round (No. 133 overall), 2010
LB K.J. Wright/Fourth round (No. 99 overall), 2011
CB Brandon Browner/Signed in 2011 after playing in Canada
DE Chris Clemons/In trade from Eagles, 2010
RB Marshawn Lynch/In trade from Bills, 2010
RT Breno Giacomini/Signed off Packers' practice squad, 2010
FB Michael Robinson/Signed in 2010 after 49ers released him.
RG Paul McQuistan/Signed in 2011.
WR Sidney Rice/Signed as unrestricted free agent in 2011
TE Zach Miller/Signed as unrestricted free agent in 2011
DT Alan Branch/Signed as unrestricted free agent in 2011

But do we really want Pete back? And remember he just left the college game so he was real famliar with some of those picks.

Here is my thing with BB, he tends to draft team need versus best player available. This has mansgaed to keep the Pats always in the top tier but has may also have caused a SB or two. There are times when we all have seen a potential stud and BB seems to reach for a position of need. My personal opinion he is over thiking shit how many times have we seen him reach for a player at a position of need when there was a potential stud still on the board?

TKO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But do we really want Pete back? And remember he just left the college game so he was real famliar with some of those picks.

Here is my thing with BB, he tends to draft team need versus best player available. This has mansgaed to keep the Pats always in the top tier but has may also have caused a SB or two. There are times when we all have seen a potential stud and BB seems to reach for a position of need. My personal opinion he is over thiking shit how many times have we seen him reach for a player at a position of need when there was a potential stud still on the board?

Only seven of the players in that list were drafted by Pete and none higher than #47. Belichick is an idiot if Carroll knew more about them given the fact they were dissected by every team before the draft. Drafting well is always about evaluating what you see because every team sees the same stuff. Belichick is lucky to have Brady around to keep the team at a high level.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
matthew slater OUT, broken hand or something like that

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also am shaking my head as to how these guys looked pretty darn good in the pre-season and not right now during the season. Is it too fast for them?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And I thought PIT had WR trouble.

Brown is really a #2 WR, Sanders (I wish we hadn't matched) imo is not a #2 WR, but a decent #3 guy...our #3 is a decent possession guy, and the #4 is a rookie.

Drawmeomg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also am shaking my head as to how these guys looked pretty darn good in the pre-season and not right now during the season. Is it too fast for them?

I hope so, because that's the kind of thing that players adapt to. If it's too fast for them, well, as they get more experience, they'll get a handle on it.

bunchofpixels

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Patriots WR situation hasnt been good in several year, but now it's pretty terrible. BUT they would look at lot better with Gronk and Hernandez on the field at the same time.

bunchofpixels

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bill needs some help with the personnel department. I am not sure how much input the guys in the front office have at the moment. I think part of the problem is his defensive system is too inflexible as far who he feels will fit into it. The same games for the offensive side of the ball in the offensive system that is built around Brady's strengths in the short to intermediate passing game. I know most Patriots fans think Tom Brady is a god but he really isnt very good throwing down field on a consistent basis.

TKO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd love to find out exactly how many colleges Belichick vists prior to the draft...I know he visited UCONN and took Butler along with Forida and Rutgers and has a sackful from both of them.

Drawmeomg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For what it's worth, Darius Butler has developed into a solid cornerback in Indianapolis since leaving the Pats. System issues, personality issues, coaching issues... who knows what the problem was here, but it wasn't a talent issue.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about BB just steps backs a bit and just coaches instead of trying to be GM as well? Would that help?

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope so, because that's the kind of thing that players adapt to. If it's too fast for them, well, as they get more experience, they'll get a handle on it.

Certainly hope they figure it out before the Patriots start playing real teams in Week 4. Otherwise the Patriots are in serious trouble