• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hot take: Center position no longer the Worst position in NBA

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Center position has been bumped up, and SG is now the weakest position in the NBA.

There is some legit talent out there at the center spot. These are guys that are making significant impacts on their teams and are much more now than just plodding big men who are expected to rebound and block shots. These guys are supremely skilled now and I believe we're in a possible transition period for the position.

Top Tier:
KAT
Cousins
Marc Gasol
Drummond

2nd Tier:
DAJ
Howard
Whiteside
Horford
Pau Gasol

3rd Tier:
Gobert
Adams
Vucevic
Brook Lopez
Valanciunus
Thompson

Young guys with lots of upside:
Joel Embiid (Superstar Potential)
Myles Turner (Superstar Potential)
Nikola Jokic
Clint Capela
Alex Len
Jahlil Okafor

The NBA is in a good position to revive the center position.

hockey878

Hoopla Cash
$ 300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tristan Thompson belongs in the top tier

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you are correct that SG is the weakest position.

A lot of that is by default though. Many teams are playing 2 PGs on the court together more and more. There is also a lot of talent at the SF position.

For that reason, there are fewer minutes available to SGs.

I think in a few years, the NBA will be past the traditional position definitions. Most Teams will start 3 "guards" and 2 "forwards".

4s and 5s will blend together as well as positions 1,2 and 3.

Bulletz

Smib
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,245.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
where's Bogut?

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For years, the SG position has had the least depth whenever I did drafting in NBA2k.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
where's Bogut?
Bogut, Noah, RLo, Gortat, would have probably been 4th tier, which would be role playing centers. They do their jobs really well, but not much upside.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For years, the SG position has had the least depth whenever I did drafting in NBA2k.
Michael Redd is rolling over in his grave.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you are correct that SG is the weakest position.

A lot of that is by default though. Many teams are playing 2 PGs on the court together more and more. There is also a lot of talent at the SF position.

For that reason, there are fewer minutes available to SGs.

I think in a few years, the NBA will be past the traditional position definitions. Most Teams will start 3 "guards" and 2 "forwards".

4s and 5s will blend together as well as positions 1,2 and 3.

I think it has more to do with ball dominant point guards than teams wanting to play 2 PG's together. If you have a star point guard, the best option is to surround him with a 3-D player. Even Harden this year has shifted to the PG position and the best fit next to him would be a SG who could defend and hit the occasional 3. It's why I don't think Oladipo and RW fit together because their skill sets are redundant with RW being much, much superior.

I do agree you'll eventually see some blending of the 4-5 position, but I could see eventually a post game renaissance from bigs.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it has more to do with ball dominant point guards than teams wanting to play 2 PG's together. If you have a star point guard, the best option is to surround him with a 3-D player. Even Harden this year has shifted to the PG position and the best fit next to him would be a SG who could defend and hit the occasional 3. It's why I don't think Oladipo and RW fit together because their skill sets are redundant with RW being much, much superior.

I do agree you'll eventually see some blending of the 4-5 position, but I could see eventually a post game renaissance from bigs.

I really don't think it will. The top 2 players on that list along with Davis are skilled big men with awesome perimeter skills. Advanced metrics have shown post play to be pretty inefficient. That is why the league continues to Love away from it. New age bigs will roster be highly skilled like Towns, or defensive minded like Tristan Thompson and D. Jordan.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Center position has been bumped up, and SG is now the weakest position in the NBA.

There is some legit talent out there at the center spot. These are guys that are making significant impacts on their teams and are much more now than just plodding big men who are expected to rebound and block shots. These guys are supremely skilled now and I believe we're in a possible transition period for the position.

Top Tier:
KAT
Cousins
Marc Gasol
Drummond

2nd Tier:
DAJ
Howard
Whiteside
Horford
Pau Gasol

3rd Tier:
Gobert
Adams
Vucevic
Brook Lopez
Valanciunus
Thompson

Young guys with lots of upside:
Joel Embiid (Superstar Potential)
Myles Turner (Superstar Potential)
Nikola Jokic
Clint Capela
Alex Len
Jahlil Okafor

The NBA is in a good position to revive the center position.
def the most irrelevant position.

all though- a lot of these guys ARE versatile- and can play the 4 or 5.......

the "traditional" centers
gasol
drummond
daj
howard
whiteside
gobert
kind of adams
b. lopez
valuncinas
embiid
jokic
okafor

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is that really a hot take though? I think its been that way for a couple years now. I think I remember discussions here a year or so ago where everyone pretty much agreed SG was the weakest of the spots. Hell, I'm not even sure its fair to list the 5 positions anymore. Guards are becoming homogeneous.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is that really a hot take though? I think its been that way for a couple years now. I think I remember discussions here a year or so ago where everyone pretty much agreed SG was the weakest of the spots. Hell, I'm not even sure its fair to list the 5 positions anymore. Guards are becoming homogeneous.
very good point...there are basically 3 positions now- guard, wing and big man.....

the traditional center that cant shoot a 3 and is too slow to guard pretty much anything but an opposing center is a dying breed that simply does not realy help you win in todays game- ESPECIALLY if you earmark such a large % of your payroll towards one.

even guys like Aldridge and Cousins- who might have the talent and shooting prowess to be productive centers- HATE playing center. ITs why Sac drafted WCS ---- its why Aldridge wanted ntohing to do with playing center....

if you are a center and can neither guard multiple positions, and or cant force the other team to guard you outside- you REALLY REALLY inhibit what your team is able to do- ESPECIALLY in todays NBA where spacing and shooting is so important. Having a center to throw the ball into in the post is just INCREDIBLY inefficient and a waste of cap resources if that center cannot shoot OR can only guard opposing centers because they are too slow and plodding (not that i am thinking of anyone in particular......LOL).

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is a position?

This is 2016, dammit!
i have read that coaches have said positions and labels like that were only created for dumb people ot help them understand the game and positions really mean next to nothing......to see people try and fit certain guys with diverse skill sets into certain positions just because thats what their own limited knowledge thinks they should be- is really hilarious to me.

Eco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,396.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still don't think Horford is a "center".

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still don't think Horford is a "center".
hes not......thats why - very ver few guys are "pure" centers- just like very few guys are "pure" point guards.....teams cant afford to have such limited versatility in their players in todays game. If you have a point guard that cant shoot the 3- you BETTER be loaded up at shooting elsewhere--- if you have a center that cant guard the pick and roll you BETTER have a load of wing players that can switch everything. Having those limited skill sets puts your team at a disadvantage before they even get on the court- ESPECIALLY against teams like the Cavs and Warriors who will absolutely run you off the court if you cant shoot the 3 and or guard the pick and roll efficiently.