• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Holy Shit! Cliff Lee a Philly?

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Lee signing with the Phillies is a good thing, a bad thing and a slightly neutral thing. Good. I'm glad we got that worked out. :D.

:D indeed.

I get that you're joking around with me but I was trying to say it's a bad thing (for the Giants). Bad, period. Not end of the world nightmare bad, just kinda...bad.

The silver lining is that the Yankees got screwed. But I'd rather Lee was a Yankee.

And to Tidrow...I agree they have an age problem so they gotta do it this year or maybe next. But the lineup is better in Philly. Howard, Utley, Victorino, Polanco, and Ruiz will score plenty, and if you are talking about our untapped potential remember they have the same 'potential' replacing Werth in their own rookie.

You can definitely make a case that with breaks and health we outscore them, but you have to agree that's not the odds on favorite to happen.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I get that you're joking around with me but I was trying to say it's a bad thing (for the Giants). Bad, period. Not end of the world nightmare bad, just kinda...bad.

The silver lining is that the Yankees got screwed. But I'd rather Lee was a Yankee.

And to Tidrow...I agree they have an age problem so they gotta do it this year or maybe next. But the lineup is better in Philly. Howard, Utley, Victorino, Polanco, and Ruiz will score plenty, and if you are talking about our untapped potential remember they have the same 'potential' replacing Werth in their own rookie.

You can definitely make a case that with breaks and health we outscore them, but you have to agree that's not the odds on favorite to happen.

Definitely bad, but Bay Area fans are championship camels. This feeling can easily last me until 2012 (when Sabean predicted the Giants would be World Series contenders) or 2013 (when the Phillies will not be good). I'm still stoked on the Niners' '94 season. Seriously, is there a better squad than that team? The defense alone is a who's who of Hall of Famers without getting into names like Young, Rice, Jones, Watters, Floyd, Wallace, Barton and Sapolu.

Anyway, yeah, you're right. It's never good for an NL team to have three aces and two above average pitchers when the Giants have two aces, two above average pitchers and an average pitcher in their starting rotation. You're also right that isn't nightmare bad. The Giants bullpen is ridiculously awesome! Only the Padres and maybe the Braves had a better one last year, and both of their BPs got weaker in the off-season. Furthermore, even with the loss of Uribe, the Giants' lineup has gotten better while the Phillies' has gotten worse. Granted, the Phillies' lineup is still better, but as Tidrow pointed out, the Giants don't have to worry about them until the playoffs (when both lineups will likely look drastically different, ie. this year). In conclusion, suck it, Philly! The Eagles will get bounced from the first round of the playoffs, the Flyers suck and the Sixers can barely beat the Nets. (Please don't mention the Niners, Sharks or Warriors)

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm with ya Heathbar...should be a good rematch in the NLCS. And we'll win again!

Also, fuck Hall and Oates! And cheesesteaks! And shitty Cal hoops just beat Temple!

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

No, there's not the same potential. Brown = Belt(and I would predict Belt will be a much better hitter than him, but that's a wait and see). They don't have a 24 year old line drive hitting machine coming off an unlucky season.

2 beats 1.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, there's not the same potential. Brown = Belt(and I would predict Belt will be a much better hitter than him, but that's a wait and see). They don't have a 24 year old line drive hitting machine coming off an unlucky season.

2 beats 1.

OK sure.

Would you bet straight up the Giants scoring more? I wouldn't.

I might if we did a park adjustment however.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK sure.

Would you bet straight up the Giants scoring more? I wouldn't.

I might if we did a park adjustment however.

I like our O better than the Phil's O, but they MAY put up better numbers, and not just because of the park factor.

We face the NL West pitching (and parks) more than they do. The Pads, Doggies and Rox pitchers are better than all save for the Braves rotation in the NL Least.

I like that the Phills are the "unquestioned best team in the NL". That just means the line for the Giants to win it will be lower :)

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like our O better than the Phil's O, but they MAY put up better numbers, and not just because of the park factor.

We face the NL West pitching (and parks) more than they do. The Pads, Doggies and Rox pitchers are better than all save for the Braves rotation in the NL Least.

I like that the Phills are the "unquestioned best team in the NL". That just means the line for the Giants to win it will be lower :)

Nice. Total agreement. The 'consensus best' teams in spring training hardly ever win the hardware.