• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hokies not in Hand's top 3

ImAHokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Bitching and blaming the coaches for stuff they don't control is stupid though. These are 17 year old kids. They are going to change their minds weekly. Our recruiting is getting better and better. There will be setbacks but that happens dealing with kids.

The only part of recruiting that is improving is the filler. VT is no better at recruiting top talent right now than they were a decade ago.

This is simply inexcusable effort and results. I don't care that they're 17 year old kids who change their minds weekly. Doesn't seem to stop anyone else from doing well. This state was loaded this year on a level previously unseen in Virginia history and so far our staff has Mihota, Reavis, and Williams. We might get Nnadi, there's an outside shot at Walker, Stewart, and Brown. That's it. No Hand, no Holmes, no Blanding, no Henderson, no Kamara, no Moss.

Inexcusable.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Some of you assholes should lay off the personal attacks on our staff (throwing coffee cups at people, ima?? -- get the fuck outta here)

That being said, I don't totally buy the whole major thing either -- because Bama doesn't have a sport mgmt degree per se.

If he actually makes another trip by the end of summer, it's a wait-see and things could change ... but I don't think he comes back at this point and I don't feel like the "sports mgmt" thing was the only reason.

It's been said before by others and I'll say it again -- when we start winning the big games, we'll start pulling in more of these big-time recruits

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is where I tell you Michigan sold him on sports management. Our staff got out-recruited by a bunch of college professors.

We are not good at recruiting on a big level, it's that simple. If you have to sell lies, you sell lies and if you have to sling mud you put your hand in the goddamn ground and pick some up. We will never, ever amount to anything of note on the national scene until Beamer grasps this concept(which means never). Hope and pray that whoever follows Frank drops the hillbilly kindness and steps into the real world because there is zero reason for things to be unfolding like they are.

UVA has done more work securing top in-state talent than VT has this year. Let that fully sink in and then try not to want to chuck your cup of coffee right at Frank's fat head.

The only part of recruiting that is improving is the filler. VT is no better at recruiting top talent right now than they were a decade ago.

This is simply inexcusable effort and results. I don't care that they're 17 year old kids who change their minds weekly. Doesn't seem to stop anyone else from doing well. This state was loaded this year on a level previously unseen in Virginia history and so far our staff has Mihota, Reavis, and Williams. We might get Nnadi, there's an outside shot at Walker, Stewart, and Brown. That's it. No Hand, no Holmes, no Blanding, no Henderson, no Kamara, no Moss.

Inexcusable.

I'd rather be the VT we are now and continue our slow climb than stoop to the level of the SEC or UVA. I'm proud of VT for more than football and I don't want to compromise those things for a "better" recruit. Our coaches recruit the filler as you call it because they fit our program and get guys that are true VT guys. I'm guessing you want Beamer gone and the whole staff revamped with ex SEC coaches. Well that isn't us so you may want to go follow an SEC school. I'm not complacent but there are things that I don't want to sacrifice for football. We will get there but we are doing it the right way, not the SEC way.

You may want to go back to hiding for a year if this is the crap you are going to come chucking at us again.

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Inexcusable.

Unfortunately, I think this is where our consistency (in personnel, coaching, play-style, etc) is working against us. We've nearly cemented ourselves as a 2nd-tier program, a perennial conference title contender (of a weak conference), that wilts in big games against the biggest names. We're not on the level with the top-10 programs... the biggest name kids see that, so they go elsewhere.

It will be that way unless something changes. Virginia has been able to snag the occasion top-10 class when they get their new-every-three-years rebuilding coach because they get to sell the "that was OLD Virginia, now is the future" pitch. We never do, so we get the kids we usually get... we get better when the in-state talent is good and wants to stay close to home... we get worse when it's so good it wants to go to a prime-time school.

Been this way for a while now.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Inexcusable.

I know a lot of posters don't want to play like whole 'sky is falling' card, but I do agree with this.

Recruiting has been our achilles heel, and it continues to be. The fact that we're unable to land so little of the top in-state talent, as the 'premier' in-state program is very telling. I don't know if it is Beamer, or the rest of the coaching staff, but it is almost inarguable that they are out of touch with today's recruiting tactics. No, I am not saying we need to throw guys bags of cash, but if a kid is obviously into a major, sell the school. Pamplin has a good Management program. If the kid is surprised he hasn't talked to a coach in a while, pick up a phone, get a twitter account...something.

The 'lets get 3* talent who want to be Hokies and coach them up' argument should not fly anymore. That didn't get us a national championship discussion, and now is beginning to get us out of the conference championship discussion. For what should be regarded as a top 15 program nationally, the recruiting technique/tactics/execution from the outside looking in, are piss poor.

ImAHokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
In summary, I would rather be Stanford or Michigan (under Hoke) than Auburn or Oregon.

But we CAN'T be them. We have proven it both on and off the field. This staff cannot win the big games and it cannot recruit the big recruits in a "nice guy" fashion. Stanford is 10 times the school VT will ever be and that just is what it is. Michigan has more tradition in a 10 year stretch of their program than VT's had in a century. VT will never be able to offer what either of those schools offer. Neither will Oregon but guess what, Oregon did something about it.

I don't want us handing out cash but I want us telling these recruits every time we see them that UVA is a piss-poor excuse for a team.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But we CAN'T be them. We have proven it both on and off the field. This staff cannot win the big games and it cannot recruit the big recruits in a "nice guy" fashion. Stanford is 10 times the school VT will ever be and that just is what it is. Michigan has more tradition in a 10 year stretch of their program than VT's had in a century. VT will never be able to offer what either of those schools offer. Neither will Oregon but guess what, Oregon did something about it.

I don't want us handing out cash but I want us telling these recruits every time we see them that UVA is a piss-poor excuse for a team.

And they are getting NCAA sanctions soon, possibly Friday.

As far as UVA, CML is selling the promises he can't deliver on and knows it. You don't have 7 QBs on your roster and honestly can tell someone they will get their playing time. I honestly think a big part of London's recruiting the last few years is because he is black. Call me what you will but that is what I think. He can get down in the 757 (dominantly black area) and pull these kids promising them a UVA education knowing they can't hack it after 2 years.( guys are leaving the program left and right)

Last edited by a moderator:

Rocco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Supposedly the light class last year meant that VT was going to really focus on this year's class. All this in-state talent and it's still going elsewhere.

This is on Bud, IMO. Not the first time he's been the primary recruiter on a big-time defensive player (Curtis Grant, Travis Hughes) and failed. He cared so much about getting Hand that he didn't talk to him.

ImAHokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Supposedly the light class last year meant that VT was going to really focus on this year's class. All this in-state talent and it's still going elsewhere.

This is on Bud, IMO. Not the first time he's been the primary recruiter on a big-time defensive player (Curtis Grant, Travis Hughes) and failed. He cared so much about getting Hand that he didn't talk to him.

Part of this is definitely on him, agreed. In fairness tho, A)Grant is bust city and B)Bud wasn't the reason why VT fell out of favor with Grant.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Part of this is definitely on him, agreed. In fairness tho, A)Grant is bust city and B)Bud wasn't the reason why VT fell out of favor with Grant.

Grant i think is starting for tOSU this year or is getting significant playing time with the 1s.

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Is this going to spawn another fan-base-wide depression where we lament how we'll never be elite for an entire week? It feels like we're about due for one of those.

The season can't get here soon enough. Go Hokies!

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is this going to spawn another fan-base-wide depression where we lament how we'll never be elite for an entire week? It feels like we're about due for one of those.

The season can't get here soon enough. Go Hokies!

fan-base-wide, no. Certain people, clearly yes

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My two reactions to missing out on Hand:

1) We don't have sports management? I just sort of assumed every school had it because I've always assumed its one of those "majors" to make the NCAA look like they promote academics.

2) Meh. Yep, just meh. Hand could be a great talent and everything I read seems like he's a great kid but still its just meh. I don't get too worked up over recruiting for multiple reasons. It's why I typically don't post here but I do like to watch :eyebrows: Anyway, for one, it's hard to consistently pull top rank recruits without consistently winning top flight games. Secondly, big time recruits flame out all the time. I'm not stressing out over a HS kid who in two years may be 4th on the depth chart and ready to transfer (not saying Hand is, just a generic statement). And lastly, I personally would only get excited for a stud skill position player like a QB. I just think they stand to make a larger impact. As great as a defensive player is, its still largely a unit.

So yeah, whatevs. Have fun whereever you end up Hand.

VTHokieJ2004

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that Hand has eliminated us, I'm assuming he's not planning on camping at VT in July? I'm surprised he made his decision before he had even taken an official visit to VT to see the academics and chat with professors. One unofficial visit to Michigan in March and the coaching staff gets him to change his major. Wow. I don't believe his excuse of VT not offering "sports marketing"...

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
#Meltdown

Everybody hold your horses. It is obvious that it isn't looking good on Hand (and I am not too happy bout it either) but it isn't over till he signs. A great season, monumental win :nod:, a variety of things can change his mind...

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm bored so I tried thinking up mock headlines for the Hand news. Best I came up with:

Out of Hand; VT lets top prospect slip thru its fingers

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hokies Journal ‏@HokiesJournal
Da'Shawn Hand on his conversation with Foster: "It was hard, man. But I just had to get it done. He was surprised. He was upset."

Hand.jpg

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the grand scheme of things we lost a stud defensive end. We have a few of those right now. I know it sucks losing out on a big in state recruit but at least it is at a position where we have other really top end prospects.