• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hokies not in Hand's top 3

ImAHokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Beamer and Stiney will never have it figured out. Shane should have kept the RC job and run it like he learned in the SEC.

Our staff could not possibly be any worse at recruiting top talent. I'm sure they come around with puppy dog eyes kicking the dirt, hat in hand, just begging these kids to give VT a chance instead of explaining what a piece of shit program UVA has or how Bama chews up kids and spits them out if they don't fit in. Frank Beamer's "aw shucks" is the worst recruiting tool in the biz.

I haven't posted here in over a year, took an exceptional amount of frustration with this goddamn program and staff to pull me back in.

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Beamer and Stiney will never have it figured out. Shane should have kept the RC job and run it like he learned in the SEC.

Our staff could not possibly be any worse at recruiting top talent. I'm sure they come around with puppy dog eyes kicking the dirt, hat in hand, just begging these kids to give VT a chance instead of explaining what a piece of shit program UVA has or how Bama chews up kids and spits them out if they don't fit in. Frank Beamer's "aw shucks" is the worst recruiting tool in the biz.

I haven't posted here in over a year, took an exceptional amount of frustration with this goddamn program and staff to pull me back in.

I'm not sure they're as bad as all that. Seems to me they've recruited some great talent over the years, and they do GREAT with families. Yes, they should win some of these recruiting battles, but with new guys heading the offense, I can also see how there are some question marks. Then again, UVa seems to be able to far out-recruit their own coaching ability and results.

Rocco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Mike Farrell ‏@rivalsmike 42s
Da'Shawn Hand has eliminated the #Hokies and #Gamecocks and has a top 3 of #Alabama, #Florida and #Michigan. #LSU and #USC could get trips.

Who needs highly rated in-state talent anyway, right?

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All I know is we went from having the top recruit in the Nation sporting Hokie gear for his recruiting pics with him being a HEAVY VT lean for over a year to us now being eliminated 6+ months before signing day. I think there is a issue here. The good thing is this issue can be fixed by coaching up what we have (and our recruiting is still on an upswing) and winning the big games. Beating up on UVA and winning our fair share of 10 games a year and losing to ECU every now and then won't cut it if we are trying to land this type of talent. But I am still a damn Hokie and think things will only get better for us starting this year...

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is looking at a different major that Virginia Tech does not offer. That does not mean that we do not offer other similar programs. Foster and the whole staff are not giving up on him yet. He is being very methodical and looking at the school that he has the best chance to succeed at. Much like the Holmes situation, I don't think we are truly out of it yet.

We do need to get him on campus though. I think he will do that for us.

ImAHokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm not sure they're as bad as all that. Seems to me they've recruited some great talent over the years, and they do GREAT with families. Yes, they should win some of these recruiting battles, but with new guys heading the offense, I can also see how there are some question marks. Then again, UVa seems to be able to far out-recruit their own coaching ability and results.

None of these kids in-state are offensive recruits. Almost every major talent with the exception of Moss and Williams is defensive. It boggles the mind to see VT recruiting so ungodly bad in its own state for defensive prospects given the success and tradition in Blacksburg on that side of the ball.

There is literally zero way to spin what is happening right now unless the staff can land both Nnadi and Brown. If they can swing that then Hand can be overlooked(and if he goes to Bama we can have a laugh in 3 years when he transfers to ODU because that kid doesn't belong anywhere near a 3-4 as a DE or LB) but as it stands right now they missed Blanding, Hand, Holmes and it's looking iffy at best for Stewart and Walker. Nnadi looks better and Brown is who knows. This isn't even a bad class right now, especially dropping dead weight like McClain, but there was too much talent on the table this year to be doing so poorly. They should have been selling these kids the moon from day 1 and they simply haven't.

ImAHokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Also, 247 is a much more accurate source than Mike Farrel, so I would follow what they are alsaying the most. They will be on top of the ebbs and flows.

I despise Farrel as much as the next Hokie but the insiders on 247 are staying quiet for a reason. And their info comes straight from the staff so they can't stand up and address what will turn out to be a gigantic clusterfuck of a recruiting class like everyone wants them to do. For VT not to have made Hand's top 3 is inexcusable and the coaches deserve as much shit as people are willing to shovel on them for it. I could handle losing the kid to a decision where the hat is on the table but it's not even going to be there. The #1 player in the country, likely the 3rd 5* in the state who will not pick VT, has eliminated his supposed favorite before the season even begins.

You can't spin it, it just can't be done. If Shane was still the RC I'd be all over his ass right now on Twitter. Stiney should be praising God he doesn't have one.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Announcing a top 3 to a troll and I instinct a program are very different things. Farrel spins this shit as well. FWIW, the top 3 that I heard is slightly different than that (still no Virginia Tech though).

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
None of these kids in-state are offensive recruits. Almost every major talent with the exception of Moss and Williams is defensive. It boggles the mind to see VT recruiting so ungodly bad in its own state for defensive prospects given the success and tradition in Blacksburg on that side of the ball.

There is literally zero way to spin what is happening right now unless the staff can land both Nnadi and Brown. If they can swing that then Hand can be overlooked(and if he goes to Bama we can have a laugh in 3 years when he transfers to ODU because that kid doesn't belong anywhere near a 3-4 as a DE or LB) but as it stands right now they missed Blanding, Hand, Holmes and it's looking iffy at best for Stewart and Walker. Nnadi looks better and Brown is who knows. This isn't even a bad class right now, especially dropping dead weight like McClain, but there was too much talent on the table this year to be doing so poorly. They should have been selling these kids the moon from day 1 and they simply haven't.

I'd love to disagree with you, but I can't. It is a bit like Lucy holding the football for Linus for some of these highly rated recruits.

At the same time, they seem to do GREAT getting three star recruits to excel. It's just that "doing more with less" is supposed to eventually give way to "doing more with more".

I think it's great to be in these recruiting battles with top programs, but I'm looking forward to seeing VT win these battles on a regular basis. To do that, you've got to not only get to the big games, but win them.

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I despise Farrel as much as the next Hokie but the insiders on 247 are staying quiet for a reason. And their info comes straight from the staff so they can't stand up and address what will turn out to be a gigantic clusterfuck of a recruiting class like everyone wants them to do. For VT not to have made Hand's top 3 is inexcusable and the coaches deserve as much shit as people are willing to shovel on them for it. I could handle losing the kid to a decision where the hat is on the table but it's not even going to be there. The #1 player in the country, likely the 3rd 5* in the state who will not pick VT, has eliminated his supposed favorite before the season even begins.

You can't spin it, it just can't be done. If Shane was still the RC I'd be all over his ass right now on Twitter. Stiney should be praising God he doesn't have one.

I knew this would turn out bad when we found out Stiney was still sticking around. :L

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

VT not having the major he wants is nothing on the coaches... I agree we haven't locked up top talent lately but if he decides he wants to study something we don't directly offer then no amount of persuading will change that.

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The having a major or not issue is just a bunch of smoke. Available majors are low on the totum pole with these 5 star recruits.
saban.jpg

vtpoop

Same poop, different day
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This may be the first time in history someone goes to an SEC school for academics, other than Vanderbilt of course.

JP to VT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just saw Shane and was gonna mention something along the lines of "too bad", but he was with his daughter so decided not to. Plus I'm sure he doesn't want people up in his face about it first thing in the morning. :L

ImAHokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
VT not having the major he wants is nothing on the coaches... I agree we haven't locked up top talent lately but if he decides he wants to study something we don't directly offer then no amount of persuading will change that.

That's a crock. VT staff did not properly sell Pamplin, which is for goddamn sure a better business school than anything those Alabama can cobble together.

Our staff cannot sell the school properly that's all there is to it. Nobody in the history of written time has ever done anything important with a sports management degree. When's the last time you ever heard of a job requiring a sports management degree?

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a crock. VT staff did not properly sell Pamplin, which is for goddamn sure a better business school than anything those Alabama can cobble together.

Our staff cannot sell the school properly that's all there is to it. Nobody in the history of written time has ever done anything important with a sports management degree. When's the last time you ever heard of a job requiring a sports management degree?

If on some chance the real reason is the major then it doesn't matter how they sell Pamplin. If he wants to do sports management then selling HTM in Pamplin is like trying to sell an Engineering school to a Biology major. To get 5* recruits, we need to play like a 5* team. Our coaches don't sell empty promises like UVA. We were high on Hand because he wanted to do engineering and now he doesn't. Andrew Brown has a top 5 and Bama on the outside because they don't have the major he wants. I know these 5* players are unlikely to need to use the major for a career but at the same time they have to study something while in college so some of them are smart enough to study something that interests them and is something they could do if they blow out their knee and are never the same player.

We lose a top player which sucks but everyone freaks out. We lost on Holmes but we have other new top talent getting higher with us. Should we have gotten Hand looking at it 2 days ago, yes. Does it suck, yes. Bitching and blaming the coaches for stuff they don't control is stupid though. These are 17 year old kids. They are going to change their minds weekly. Our recruiting is getting better and better. There will be setbacks but that happens dealing with kids.

Chrish1023

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm discouraged as hell right now, but it was just a while ago that he wanted to be an engineer so there is that. If anyone should be blamed for clouding his mind it should be his high school teachers. I remember back when I was in high school we had a sports marketing class, which was basically a marketing class where we played fantasy football. So tons of kids come out of high school thinking "oh wow, that was such a fun class" so they either try and do sports management or marketing, both of which land you in the same place when you graduate, a shitty sales job.

I know I'm on a huge tangent here, but I would not be surprised if some stupid sports marketing class is what has him thinking that he wants to major in sports management. And if our coaching staff are so clueless that they can't show Hand that the difference between a business management and sports management degree is like two classes, then they are massive failures.

Tangent 2: my younger brother is one of the dumbest people I know and he almost got straight A's at South Carolina his freshman year claiming "I swear half the people in my classes could barely read." If Hand wants a cake walk in school, switching his focus to the SEC is probably a good idea.

ImAHokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm discouraged as hell right now, but it was just a while ago that he wanted to be an engineer so there is that. If anyone should be blamed for clouding his mind it should be his high school teachers. I remember back when I was in high school we had a sports marketing class, which was basically a marketing class where we played fantasy football. So tons of kids come out of high school thinking "oh wow, that was such a fun class" so they either try and do sports management or marketing, both of which land you in the same place when you graduate, a shitty sales job.

This is where I tell you Michigan sold him on sports management. Our staff got out-recruited by a bunch of college professors.

We are not good at recruiting on a big level, it's that simple. If you have to sell lies, you sell lies and if you have to sling mud you put your hand in the goddamn ground and pick some up. We will never, ever amount to anything of note on the national scene until Beamer grasps this concept(which means never). Hope and pray that whoever follows Frank drops the hillbilly kindness and steps into the real world because there is zero reason for things to be unfolding like they are.

UVA has done more work securing top in-state talent than VT has this year. Let that fully sink in and then try not to want to chuck your cup of coffee right at Frank's fat head.