• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

here is a short list of FA olineman

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2014 NFL Free Agent Offensive Linemen
By: Roshan Bhagat

Branden Albert [OT, Kansas City Chiefs] - After using the franchise tag on Branden Albert, extension talks failed to progress. Potential back problems and their first overall pick Eric Fisher figured to have played a big part of their decision-making process. It would be surprising if the Chiefs allowed Albert to walk if he put together another great season, but it may be the most cost-effective option. There are more than a handful of teams that would find interest in a premier left tackle on the open market.

Wade Smith [OG, Houston Texans] - Since signing with Houston in 2010, Wade Smith has blocked at an All-Pro level despite earning only one Pro Bowl nod in that span, a year ago. For an offense predicated on moving the ball on the ground and having lost key offensive linemen over the past couple years that has left the line weaker on the right side, it would be a surprise to see Houston not push hard to keep Wade Smith.

Alex Mack [C, Cleveland Browns] - In the black hole of the Browns franchise, underrated talent hardly makes it to the public forum in Cleveland, let alone around the league. However, in NFL circles Mack is considered among the top centers in the game with strength and athletic ability to hold his own in any scheme.

Eugene Monroe [OT, Jacksonville Jaguars] - Taking drastic strides, Monroe has developed into one of the better all-around left tackles in the league over the past two years. Though he has been largely obscured on a poor team, many have likely retained the book on him from his collegiate days where he was considered a terrific athlete. Upon further review, they'll love the player he's developed into. For Jacksonville, drafting Luke Joeckel could make this an interesting decision.

Michael Oher [OT, Baltimore Ravens] - Oher has been an excellent right tackle for the Ravens since his arrival. Their experiments moving him over the left side have failed, but on the right side, he's an above average run blocker and pass protector. Will anyone pay him left tackle value? If so, Baltimore could let him walk.

Jared Veldheer [OT, Oakland Raiders] - With tremendous size and strength, Jared Veldheer's performance since 2010 as a third round pick out of Hillsdale has been as surprising as any mid-round performance. Last season, he developed into one of the game's premier pass-blocking left tackles with length and athleticism to stymie pass rushers and plenty functional strength to succeed in the run game. Though he will begin the year on the short-term IR with a triceps injury, he will have the opportunity to battle back down the stretch and cement a significant pay increase for himself.

Continue to Free Agent DL -->

Free Agents by position: QB | RB | WR | OL | DL | LB | DB | P/K

now add fernando velasco C
Dela puente C

Ogs asamoah and boothe

and ots clady

now i believe clady , mack , de la puente wont leave their teams

so albert , oher , monroe, smith velasco asomaoh and boothe

so does a haul of monroe , smith velasco and oher seem doable ?

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This may be a stupid ???, but I don't know a ton about our OL abilities. Polumbus has been widely considered the Skins' 2nd best OLineman. Is moving him inside an option??

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing to remember is if Shanahan is still here there are a lot of good Olineman that do not fit his system.

If they hire a new coach then most of the line will have to be replaced. Trent would be the only guy I see able to play in a power drive blocking scheme.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing to remember is if Shanahan is still here there are a lot of good Olineman that do not fit his system.

If they hire a new coach then most of the line will have to be replaced. Trent would be the only guy I see able to play in a power drive blocking scheme.

well there are a few guys who can play it on that list

wade smith could , mack could , velasco could oher could

sublime4eva

Westcoast Redskin fan....
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This may be a stupid ???, but I don't know a ton about our OL abilities. Polumbus has been widely considered the Skins' 2nd best OLineman. Is moving him inside an option??

Polumbus has been frustrating to watch this season, he's solid at run blocking but has struggled at times in pass protection moving him inside might be a good idea depending on who we get polumbus at RG w/ Oher at RT? I'd like that combo.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Polumbus is way too tall to be an interior OLman. He is 6'8". RG3 already has problems seeing over 6'3" guys. At 6'8", there is no way he could get low enough to block the likes of a 6"2" 350LB NT, or be quick enough to get to the second level after a LB. That is completely different when you are on the edge.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Polumbus is way too tall to be an interior OLman. He is 6'8". RG3 already has problems seeing over 6'3" guys. At 6'8", there is no way he could get low enough to block the likes of a 6"2" 350LB NT, or be quick enough to get to the second level after a LB. That is completely different when you are on the edge.

in most cases 6-8 is too tall for any o/lineman because they tend to be benders . that being said polumbus is much improved

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
in most cases 6-8 is too tall for any o/lineman because they tend to be benders . that being said polumbus is much improved

True. Blocking is all about leverage. At 6'8", its hard to get leverage on a guy a half a foot shorter, but the same weight. On the edge, you can get away with it as you are usually pushing your guy outside and around the pocket. We need to focus this offseason in upgrading either Chester or Montgomery. If we can make one of those positions better, it will help immensely and we can upgrade the second next off season. Maybe we get lucky and we also get an improvement when one of our young guys wins a starting job.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True. Blocking is all about leverage. At 6'8", its hard to get leverage on a guy a half a foot shorter, but the same weight. On the edge, you can get away with it as you are usually pushing your guy outside and around the pocket. We need to focus this offseason in upgrading either Chester or Montgomery. If we can make one of those positions better, it will help immensely and we can upgrade the second next off season. Maybe we get lucky and we also get an improvement when one of our young guys wins a starting job.

well on that FA list velasco at center could be a reasonable guy and wade smith at OG could be another

smith is 33 though

i cant see the browns letting mack walk

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
C bryan stork FSU
C travis swanson ARK
C Russell Bodine UNC
G cyril richardson baylor
G anthony Steen ALA
G zack martin ND
OT seandral henderson Miami
G/OT david yankey Stan
OT corey robinson SC
OT Brandon scherff Iowa

here are some draft picks projected in our area we could get subject to change

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I give the guy credit for effort & run blocking. However - you saw it again last night. He is just not good enough at pass blocking to handle the more elite pass rushers. They desperately need someone else at RT. It is nice to have an effective running game, but when your most valued player is the QB you need to find a way to protect him or else. Finding a replacement at this position must be a priority next season if they are going to continue using RG3 more & more in the pocket.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I give the guy credit for effort & run blocking. However - you saw it again last night. He is just not good enough at pass blocking to handle the more elite pass rushers. They desperately need someone else at RT. It is nice to have an effective running game, but when your most valued player is the QB you need to find a way to protect him or else. Finding a replacement at this position must be a priority next season if they are going to continue using RG3 more & more in the pocket.

Oher could be available

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oher could be available

Cool. Even someone like this who is somewhat of a force would go a long ways. I think that the lack of protection not only causes the obvious protection breakdowns, but it also reduces RG3's confidence and gives him happy feet & perhaps perceived protection issues.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some good ideas on HH. A couple thoughts...

I like signing a FA C and/or RT if they are young enough, good enough, and cheap enough. We could address C by getting a top 3 center (Listed up top) in the 3rd or even 4th. I watch a lot of ACC ball and getting Moses or Hurst in the 3rd/4th would be a great get.

I would give a 4th for Martin in a second. He was a top 15 pick, played well enough, and is healthy with a high ceiling. There is some baggage there but I think that will pass. I doubt he could be had for a 4th rounder (on potential alone). There may be a bidding war and it wouldn't surprise me if his value is more like a 3rd or even 2nd rounder. He could be our starting RT immediately, just MHO.

Last edited by a moderator:

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My concern about Martin is does he really want to play football? Just seems to have to many questions surrounding him. If he gets released, then I might take a flyer on him, but I'm not comfortable giving away a mid round draft pick for him.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Martin has lost all trust in NFL locker rooms and I'm willing to bet he suffers from depression or he's bipolar. Locker rooms would rather have Incognito than Martin because he's proven not to be a man.

If we chose to draft a center and you expect him to start...he better be the second round pick.