• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Heat hire new GM

hockey878

Hoopla Cash
$ 300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In a shocking move, the heat hire sportshoopla member hockey878 as their new GM. This is what happens!

Here is my opinion and somewhat "fantasy" roster (its realistic and within, just not going to happen).

Its easy to look at the big 3 and say they will all opt in. 40 mil over 2 years for each of them. But the truth of Bosh and Wade is they can get more buy opting out and signing for 4 more years. If wade plays 2 more years his next deal will be a vet minimum. no matter what he does I doubt he will make more than 50mil in the rest of his career. So he might as well make a commitment to staying here and spread that money out over 4 years evenly, rather than 2 high price years and then dropping to 3 mil a year. So in my mind it makes more sense for him to sign for some thing like a front loaded 4 years 50mil. Still expensive, but cheaper.

Bosh should sign for something similar. LeBron.... well he CAN make 20. he is worth 20. But I think as a sign of solidarity he needs to do the same. Its not fair as the leader to ask wade and bosh to re-up and then allow himself room to bolt after one more year. I think LeBron should sign for a 4 year 75 million dollar deal. Certainly a discount. For the record im sure each of these deals would have a player option for the 5th year.

So that gives a resigned core at this point in my imagination of
LeBron- 16 mil
Wade- 14 mil front loaded deal (14, 13, 12, 11)
Bosh- 11 mil back loaded deal (11, 12, 13, 14)
UD- 4.6 mil (it'd be cool if he opted out and took less but thats asking a lot)
Bird- 1.4 mil worth it for the price
Cole- 2 mil... need big progression from him since he'll be starting
Hamilton- .8mil

Note: Wade and Bosh are STILL overpaid. But you can't ask them to add more years for much less than 50 million.

This puts the heat payroll at 50mil give or take a few grand with 7 guys on the roster.

I'd like to see Miami take a run at Trevor Ariza. The guy is 28. Has big game experience. A great shooter, great defender, decent rebounder. He would allow LeBron breaks defensively and would add a ton of versatility on the defensive end. He'd be a perfect fit. He might be a little bit pricey, so he'd have to take a small discount to come play in Miami. He'd be a huge asset

4 years 34 million (7 mil 8 mil 9 mil 10 mil). Takes this year's payroll to 57 million. We have 6.2 million left of space to use and at least 4 roster spots to fill.

The next guy I'd like to see us go afte is patrick patterson. He is a better rebounder than people think (5 rebs in 23 minutes) and his numbers last year were MUCH better when he wasn't playing for the trainwreck that is the kings and the guy is a natural 3pt shooter. His quickness can be an asset in our type of D, adding him and Ariza would revitalize this team with some athleticism and energy and legitimately allow Wade to play more like 26-28 mins a night. Again, this will be hard to pull off. He probably wants more than we can afford. But I'd shoot for something like 4 years 20 million (3.5, 4.5, 5.5, 6.5) I'd go as high as 22 mil.

So thats 9 roster spots at 60.5 million and this is what we got:

PG-Cole
SG-Wade
SF-James/Ariza
PF-Bosh/Patterson
C- Haslem/Bird/Hamilton

Much more athletic, better rebounders Ariza>Battier/Jones, Patterson>Lewis and better shooting at this point in their careers. This team has extreme versatility as you can play bosh and Patterson together and really space the floor with a "small" ball lineup of Wade/Cole, James, Ariza, Patterson and Bosh. Even that lineup is WAY bigger than the heat's traditional small ball as patterson replaces battier or jones. You can literally switch every pick and roll with this lineup, even more so if wade is in it instead of cole.

Now lets talk about the draft here quick. I love Cleanthony Early for this team, but I just don't know that he fills a role. I think the heat have to look at a guy like Jordan Clarkson or Shabazz Napier and hope they can fill the norris cole as a rookie role. Lets just pretend its napier (many mocks have us taking him anyway) another guy with championship mettle.

With the depth in this draft I also think it would be worth it for the heat to trade their late 2nd and some money to buy an early 2nd round pick and look at someone like Markel Brown or Nick Johnson as a developmental type of player. That is less than 500K i think.

Last year the 25th pick made just under a million. So we have:

PG-Cole, Shabazz Napier
SG-Wade, Markel Brown
SF-James, Ariza
PF-Bosh, Patterson
C-Haslem, Bird, Hamilton

So that is 11 guys at 62 million. Probably resign James Jones for the vet minimum, and it may be a stretch, but I'd like to see Ray back for 1 more year. Im not sure what the vet min is for those guys, but it doesn't matter because you can sign as many as you want to vet mins no matter your cap situation.

PG- Cole, Shabazz Napier
SG- Wade, Allen, Jones, Markel Brown
SF- James, Ariza,
PF- Bosh, Patterson
C- Haslem, Bird, Hamilton

13 guys. 65 million or so. Sign up a few bench warmers (maybe oden stays for another year of rehab) and we're good.

This team is now full of athletes instead of old guys. We still have great (better I think) three point shooting, and we will get more defensively from Patterson and Ariza than we could have gotten from Battier/Lewis/Jones (guys that filled those minutes this past year).

Ariza gives the opportunity to rest LeBron and Wade a bit more 36 mins a game for LBJ 28 for wade shoud be the target. This roster gives the heat Maximum versatility, quickness, length.

A second wing defender with size and athleticism like ariza can make a huge difference against teams that move the ball (like.... the spurs?). He can provide far more than battier has the past two years.

Ok. well thats my thoughts. I know it won't happen. But this is what I'd do!

Go ahead and have at me. Tell me why i'm wrong/why it doesn't work. I tried to make it somewhat realistic, I think it is more realistic and better for the heat than the "carmelo situation".

Happy offseason. sorry for the book.

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Celtics are looking for a high second round pick. Perhaps they are willing to give up Bass and Pressey for heats late first round pick.

hockey878

Hoopla Cash
$ 300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Celtics are looking for a high second round pick. Perhaps they are willing to give up Bass and Pressey for heats late first round pick.

I had thought about Bass when I was looking for potential FA signings, but saw he still had another year. he would be a good fit

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're depending an awful lot on the "charity" of the big 3. Imo, what the big 3 ultimately will do will be determined by what D-Wade does.

Of the big 3, he is the one who has done the least over the past 2 seasons, imo, to deserve what he's due to be paid. However, when you look at what he has done for the Heat over his career, he has earned every penny (sort of like Kobe with the Lakers).

D-Wade is never getting another max deal. So the question for him would be "How much longer does he feel he can play?" If he feels that he has more than 2 years left, then he should consider what you have proposed. However, if he is more of the Kobe mindset (done in about 2 years), then he would be crazy to opt out and sign for less. It wouldn't make sense for him financially.

Bosh is a different story. He can still be very productive, imo. I think he gets a bad rap because he is the one who has sacrificed the most of the big 3. When they decided to come together, someone was always going to have to sacrifice more than the other 2 and it was always going to be Bosh. Unfortunately for him, the way his sacrifices have been perceived likely means he won't get another max deal either.

The big 3 can stay together and still win another title or 2, but they need to change the way that they play. They need a big (preferably a center) who can defend the rim and rebound without needing a lot of "touches" on offense (a Kendrick Perkins type). This enables them to move Bosh to his natural PF position. They can also add a wing player (you and others have suggested Ariza) who can defend the perimeter and hit the occasional 3. I think that they can likely fill each of those needs without any of the big 3 having to opt out and take less.

Kevin12773

Boomer Sooner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought they offered the job to Botslayer.

hockey878

Hoopla Cash
$ 300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're depending an awful lot on the "charity" of the big 3. Imo, what the big 3 ultimately will do will be determined by what D-Wade does.

Of the big 3, he is the one who has done the least over the past 2 seasons, imo, to deserve what he's due to be paid. However, when you look at what he has done for the Heat over his career, he has earned every penny (sort of like Kobe with the Lakers).

D-Wade is never getting another max deal. So the question for him would be "How much longer does he feel he can play?" If he feels that he has more than 2 years left, then he should consider what you have proposed. However, if he is more of the Kobe mindset (done in about 2 years), then he would be crazy to opt out and sign for less. It wouldn't make sense for him financially.

Bosh is a different story. He can still be very productive, imo. I think he gets a bad rap because he is the one who has sacrificed the most of the big 3. When they decided to come together, someone was always going to have to sacrifice more than the other 2 and it was always going to be Bosh. Unfortunately for him, the way his sacrifices have been perceived likely means he won't get another max deal either.

The big 3 can stay together and still win another title or 2, but they need to change the way that they play. They need a big (preferably a center) who can defend the rim and rebound without needing a lot of "touches" on offense (a Kendrick Perkins type). This enables them to move Bosh to his natural PF position. They can also add a wing player (you and others have suggested Ariza) who can defend the perimeter and hit the occasional 3. I think that they can likely fill each of those needs without any of the big 3 having to opt out and take less.

First two things are basically the whole dwade has earned his extra pay day. its hard to argue that. although if thats the way wade feels then i'd suggest bosh and lebron move on for the sake of their careers.

I think the key to dwade elongating his career is developing a 3pt shot. If he became a 35%-37% 3pt shooter on about 3 attempts a game he could play another 5 years as a solid vince carter type starter (better than vince for a few years still). But I agree, if he thinks he is two years and done its hard to convince him to opt out. if he htinks he has 3-5 years left then he should realize he won't make more than 50 in the next 5 so it basically comes to restructuring. i also think its attractive to wade in that all NBA contracts are guaranteed. so if he signed an extra year that he couldn't play (career ending injury or whatever) he still gets that extra 10 he signs for right NOW.

I guess it all depends on his mindset and what he sees his future as.

The problem with this last thing is having a perkins type player and dwade on the court means you have 2 guys who can't shoot. And that means the paint will be closed and you are taking away the biggest strength of the best player on earth. You could do this if dwade developed a shot. But there is little evidence that will happen.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First two things are basically the whole dwade has earned his extra pay day. its hard to argue that. although if thats the way wade feels then i'd suggest bosh and lebron move on for the sake of their careers.

I think the key to dwade elongating his career is developing a 3pt shot. If he became a 35%-37% 3pt shooter on about 3 attempts a game he could play another 5 years as a solid vince carter type starter (better than vince for a few years still). But I agree, if he thinks he is two years and done its hard to convince him to opt out. if he htinks he has 3-5 years left then he should realize he won't make more than 50 in the next 5 so it basically comes to restructuring. i also think its attractive to wade in that all NBA contracts are guaranteed. so if he signed an extra year that he couldn't play (career ending injury or whatever) he still gets that extra 10 he signs for right NOW.

I guess it all depends on his mindset and what he sees his future as.

The problem with this last thing is having a perkins type player and dwade on the court means you have 2 guys who can't shoot. And that means the paint will be closed and you are taking away the biggest strength of the best player on earth. You could do this if dwade developed a shot. But there is little evidence that will happen.

Agree with all of this and yeah, the whole premise of the "Kendrick Perkins type" is predicated on Wade developing at least a respectable jumper.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys like Kyle Lowry, Jamal Crawford, Greg Monroe(offer him a contract Detroit won't match), & Marcin Gortat are who Miami should target to pair with Lebron. Then you could add some cheap pieces around them.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys like Kyle Lowry, Jamal Crawford, Greg Monroe(offer him a contract Detroit won't match), & Marcin Gortat are who Miami should target to pair with Lebron. Then you could add some cheap pieces around them.

That would be nice. I just feel that's not going to happen.

Also, Miami has James Ennis (2nd round pick from last year) playing over in Australia. Miami needs more youth on the wing and the kid is definitely athletic as hell and would be a decent option off the bench. Miami just needs to develop him:

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85Yviei9zgE[/YOUTUBE]

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lowry is staying with the Raps

Birdman will get a lot more then 1.4 on open market.

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would be nice. I just feel that's not going to happen.

If Miami were smart, that is the route they would take. They would have a very good team of players in their prime locked up for the next 4 years. Add a '3 & D' SG/SF & some good bench parts, this team would be better than the big 3 plus new parts or a Lebron & Melo pairing.

Adding those 4 players will likely cost them $40+ mil against the cap, but Miami has more than enough money to sign them if Wade & Bosch opt out. Together their 2014/15 salaries would equal what those 4 guys would cost.

Last edited by a moderator:

hockey878

Hoopla Cash
$ 300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about making a run at monroe and ariza? How much do you think Monroe is going to cost? 8-9? Probably not cap room for both. But I like the thought of monroe bosh lebron wade on the court. Lots of skill and much needed rebounding and size

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that it's been pointed out to me that Wade will likely not opt out of his remaining 2yr/$41 mil contract, it seems Miami is going to be in a tough spot regardless if Lebron is opts out & is resigned or not. Miami just needs to hope Bosch thinks there are greener pastures & opts out. If not, there really is not much Miami can do with this team other than try to find spare parts after accounting for $64 mil for those 3 players.

The good news is that they play in the eastern conference & that will boost their win total by 10 games next season. Miami would have been a 5-6 seed had they played in the west this season.

Last edited by a moderator:

hockey878

Hoopla Cash
$ 300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that it's been pointed out to me that Wade will likely not opt out of his remaining 2yr/$41 mil contract, it seems Miami is going to be in a tough spot regardless if Lebron is opts out & is resigned or not. Miami just needs to hope Bosch thinks there are greener pastures & opts out. If not, there really is not much Miami can do with this team other than try to find spare parts after accounting for $64 mil for those 3 players.

The good news is that they play in the eastern conference & that will boost their win total by 10 games next season. Miami would have been a 5-6 seed had they played in the west this season.

I don't think bosh is the problem. its going to be wade. hard to justify paying 20 million to a guy who can only play 2/3 of the game and still is gassed during the finals. I can't believe im saying this, and I know it wouldn't have happened because of the backlash it'd have caused. But Its too bad miami used their amnesty on Miller last year. Using it on Dwade now wouldve been the smartest thing riley has ever done. backlash from such a move wouldve been intense though

hockey878

Hoopla Cash
$ 300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about making a run at monroe and ariza? How much do you think Monroe is going to cost? 8-9? Probably not cap room for both. But I like the thought of monroe bosh lebron wade on the court. Lots of skill and much needed rebounding and size

Never mind.... gotta figure monroe is gonna want 10-12 million. I don't see a way the heat can sign him.

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Monroe is going to get close to max contract for his services time. Too many teams are looking at him for his contract not to start at $12+ mil.

Max contract for a player of his experience is about $15,800,000(the 2014/15 salary cap in not set yet) in year 1. And then he gets a 4.5% raise each season over the length of the contract, which would be 4 years. If he resigns with his current team, it would be 7.5% increase over 5 years.

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think bosh is the problem. its going to be wade. hard to justify paying 20 million to a guy who can only play 2/3 of the game and still is gassed during the finals. I can't believe im saying this, and I know it wouldn't have happened because of the backlash it'd have caused. But Its too bad miami used their amnesty on Miller last year. Using it on Dwade now wouldve been the smartest thing riley has ever done. backlash from such a move wouldve been intense though

Do you think Bosch is even closely worth the $20 mil he will make in 2014/15. They guy can be a very good player, but he is not an elite player & is even less valuable on a team like Miami. The guy can't rebound or defend. He is a mid range jump shooter who gets you 16ppg & 7rpg. So with it being likely that you still have all 3 on the roster for 2014/15, this team will continue to struggle against the top level talent in the west during a series.

Sure Miami can add some pieces like Ariza, it's still going to need to a big man & PG along with a good bench. It just seems like a tall order when all 3 come back next season.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heat working out 7'3" Walter Tavares today.

This guy is 22 been playing in Spain. He's supposed to be very mobile for his size, a shot-blocker and a rebounder.

He's projected early 2nd round.