• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

HDMI/CABLE question

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most TVs will handle standard-def feeds in one of two ways: It’ll display it at its native resolution in 4:3 aspect ratio, right smack-dab in the middle of the screen, which is what you're seeing. Or you can enable “Zoom,” “Full Screen,” or “Stretch” mode, where it stretches the 4:3 footage to 16:9, filling the entire screen in craptacular fashion.
thank u

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All over the air broadcast are in HD. Get a good antenna and put it up outside or hang in your attic, mine is in the attic. Crystal clear HD, better than what any cable or satellite company can produce because it is never compressed.
how much does it cost, and how hard is it to position, how many channels can i get

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how much does it cost, and how hard is it to position, how many channels can i get

You are just going to just get the regular broadcast channels like ABC/CBS/Fox/NBC/PBS & whatever local channels. For me, this would be shit. When I watch TV, it's usually sports or DVR'd program/movie.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All over the air broadcast are in HD. Get a good antenna and put it up outside or hang in your attic, mine is in the attic. Crystal clear HD, better than what any cable or satellite company can produce because it is never compressed.

I'm starting to lean in this direction as well...a neighbor is doing it now...because these homes are all pre-wired for cable or satellite his install was not cheap to have multi-room access and clean looking connections...his uncompressed signal is better than my cable signal, but it's more subtle than I thought...the hold up is I would have to give up my key cable only channels such as Golfchannel. This party is heading towards consumer direct streaming content and over the air broadcast...cable is not going away anytime soon, but if I were a 20 something, I wouldn't want to have my nest egg invested into cable companies.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't need to spend a lot on a cord if you need one. Amazon Basics cords work really well and are likely a lot cheaper than what you'd find at a place like Best Buy.

Retailers are still ripping us blind on cables, speaker wire and the like..."hi-speed" hdmi cable 12' long...bestbuy wanted $35 for a monster cable...lol...MyCablemart.com is where I buy all my cabling now...same cord was $10.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Retailers are still ripping us blind on cables, speaker wire and the like..."hi-speed" hdmi cable 12' long...bestbuy wanted $35 for a monster cable...lol...MyCablemart.com is where I buy all my cabling now...same cord was $10.
Yea, their high margins are on accessories.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, their high margins are on accessories.

Talk about margins...especially at these hi-end hi-fi retailers) I own a pair a nice, but older pair of stereo speakers (B&W)...I bought them back when I was silly (and didn't have any kids)...they still make the speaker today and they cost about $7500 for the pair for my model...I paid $4500 for mine and I was foolish enough to walk out of there with $500 worth of speaker wire!

I was skeptical when I did it, but his pitch sounded logical...Just out of curiosity I bought some shielded 10 gauge speaker wire (that I paid like $25 for 30' of wire and another $10 for the gold-plated end connections)...in side by side comparisons with his $250 (ea wire was $250) wire and I could not tell a difference...I took his wire back...I told him what I had done and he just smiled and refunded the money.

I've since learned that the gauge of the wire determines how much current or signal it can carry...if your gauge and wire length match up properly with interconnects and your speakers you really cannot improve the sound with wire connections...maybe to a dog.

Point is...there is somebody out there today, buying one of these new 4k HDTVs and paying $100 for a hdmi cable...lol.

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Thats what I do Ford...40 buck antenna from Costco, WiFi internet hookup @ 40 bucks/month, 80 buck Roku unit from Costco for steaming Netflicks (8bucks/month)...

done.

Come CF season, I'm fucked.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't need to spend a lot on a cord if you need one. Amazon Basics cords work really well and are likely a lot cheaper than what you'd find at a place like Best Buy.
seconded

don't buy the cheapest shit you can find on Ebay but don't buy some some monster cable bullshit from BestBuy either

AmazonBasics makes some good quality cables, speaker wire, etc that are more than adequate for a decent price