• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

HBO documentation of '70s hockey - Slapshot style

BostonAJ

They fucking won?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
In HBO’s new documentary, “Broad Street Bullies,” there are 153 images of brawls, nearly all ignited by the 1970s Philadelphia Flyers; 15 clear depictions of blood; 23 shots of mouths lacking teeth; and 25 oral references to Flyers-style brutality — from “baddest animal in the hockey jungle” to “a fine line between talent and terror.”

“Broad Street Bullies,” which has its premiere Tuesday at 10 p.m. Eastern, depicts hockey the way Hannibal Lecter might have coached it, but with beers instead of Chianti.

Hockey is a cleaner sport now, with limits that restore the dignity the Flyers stole on their way to Stanley Cup titles in 1974 and 1975. The comparison of the current rule book with the mid-’70s version, made in the documentary by the former referee Bryan Lewis, is partial proof of the need for a post-Flyers version of the Geneva Conventions.

“There’s nothing like driving somebody’s head through the boards to make you feel good,” forward Bob Kelly said, and he looks as if he still does it in his spare time.

I must see this.

postmaster

RIP Steve
Hoopla Cash
$ 250.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
damn, I just moved and don't think I get HBO anymore.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
sweet. mid-70s was when I fell in love with hockey.
Boston and Philly were the two teams that I loved to watch.