• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hawks' Season Review

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Sorry Clyde, couldn't resist this one. Terry Blount absolutely kills me - so I will teach him a valuable lesson by bumping his article. :yahoo:

Seattle Seahawks season wrap-up - NFC West Blog - ESPN

A few gems:

Biggest disappointment: I would have said receiver Percy Harvin, through no fault of his own, until his spectacular performance in the Super Bowl, proving he was worth the $67 million the Seahawks spent on him.

Spectacular performance? I mean, it was a good performance, but you're talking about 50 offensive yards and a return TD. It's not like it's going to go down as one of the great SB performances. I'm also going to withhold judgment on him being worth the huge contract until he's played more than two games. Call me crazy.

Team MVP: You certainly could make a strong argument for free safety Earl Thomas, cornerback Richard Sherman or running back Marshawn Lynch, but this team would not be Super Bowl winners without Wilson.

It never ceases to amaze me how some experts still criticize Wilson and label him as nothing more than a game manager, a subtle dig that he isn't that good. Well, he just managed this offense all the way to a blowout victory in the Super Bowl, including two touchdown passes.

See also, giving the Hawks an "A" for QB play. Personally, I'm of the opinion that Lynch should be up for offensive player of the year. The guy would get hit within two yards of the LOS on almost every play, but would gut out 4-5. Without that, the Hawks don't come close to the super bowl. Wilson has shown some things, and looks like he may be one of the great leaders out there, but MVP of the championship team? There's just no way based on his performance this season.

Oh, and this:

He is going to be a $20 million a year man in 2015. The Seahawks should try to re-sign him now and save some cash.

:L Terry, they can't re-sign him now. Perhaps you should learn the larger points of the CBA for the sport that you cover professionally. My god. Between him and Williamson (not to mention Wagoner, who I haven't read in months, but was the worst of the bunch when I was reading him), I really, REALLY miss Sando's coverage.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Oh man. I kept reading the grades.

Two free-agent acquisitions were spectacular -- Michael Bennett and Cliff Avril.

Again, spectacular? Very good, sure. Made some big plays in crucial situations? Absolutely. Spectacular? I guess I just have higher standards.....

If one of your linebackers is the MVP of the Super Bowl, you are doing something right.

I mean, just the dumbest logic ever. Of the most recent defensive players to win super bowl MVPs, most have been run-of-the-mill players who had an unusually big game. Smith seems to fit this mold. He did a nice job stepping in for Wright, but let's ease back on the throttle just a hair.

The anchor is middle linebacker Bobby Wagner. He is the second-best young MLB in the league to Carolina's Luke Kuechly, which is no knock since Kuechly was the NFL's defensive player of the year.

I personally think Wagner should have won defensive rookie of the year last year, and he's a very good player, but Bowman is more of an impact player, and is only two years older.

The only little weakness most of the season was kickoff returns....Punter Jon Ryan, along with the coverage team, made it almost impossible to return punts against the Seahawks.

Yes. Because Ryan has one of the worst legs in the NFL. Eight punters had a net that was higher than Ryan's average.

Look, I appreciate that the Hawks are a great team, and had a fantastic season, but that doesn't mean we have to throw objectivity to the wind. I guess that's just the nature of journalism these days, though.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I can't think of a single person at the 4-letter network worth reading any more except Trent Dilfer.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Overeggeration as always. That is what the media does. You already hear the dynasty talk and how they are going to be like this for several years. That might be, but in the modern NFL, it is far from certain. I remember when the Rams won theiir Super Bowl the talking heads were saying of the same things, how they were built to win mulitple super bowls. If they lose a couple of games in a row next year, the media will act like the sky is falling for them

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry Clyde, couldn't resist this one. Terry Blount absolutely kills me - so I will teach him a valuable lesson by bumping his article. :yahoo:

Seattle Seahawks season wrap-up - NFC West Blog - ESPN

A few gems:

Biggest disappointment: I would have said receiver Percy Harvin, through no fault of his own, until his spectacular performance in the Super Bowl, proving he was worth the $67 million the Seahawks spent on him.

Spectacular performance? I mean, it was a good performance, but you're talking about 50 offensive yards and a return TD. It's not like it's going to go down as one of the great SB performances. I'm also going to withhold judgment on him being worth the huge contract until he's played more than two games. Call me crazy.

Team MVP: You certainly could make a strong argument for free safety Earl Thomas, cornerback Richard Sherman or running back Marshawn Lynch, but this team would not be Super Bowl winners without Wilson.

It never ceases to amaze me how some experts still criticize Wilson and label him as nothing more than a game manager, a subtle dig that he isn't that good. Well, he just managed this offense all the way to a blowout victory in the Super Bowl, including two touchdown passes.

See also, giving the Hawks an "A" for QB play. Personally, I'm of the opinion that Lynch should be up for offensive player of the year. The guy would get hit within two yards of the LOS on almost every play, but would gut out 4-5. Without that, the Hawks don't come close to the super bowl. Wilson has shown some things, and looks like he may be one of the great leaders out there, but MVP of the championship team? There's just no way based on his performance this season.

Oh, and this:

He is going to be a $20 million a year man in 2015. The Seahawks should try to re-sign him now and save some cash.

:L Terry, they can't re-sign him now. Perhaps you should learn the larger points of the CBA for the sport that you cover professionally. My god. Between him and Williamson (not to mention Wagoner, who I haven't read in months, but was the worst of the bunch when I was reading him), I really, REALLY miss Sando's coverage.

I don't see it either. I think its just jealousy or blind homerism. The dude is absolutely critical to the success of that team. The amount of big plays hemakes out of busted plays is incredible.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look, I appreciate that the Hawks are a great team, and had a fantastic season, but that doesn't mean we have to throw objectivity to the wind. I guess that's just the nature of journalism these days, though.

I don't know who it was but I was out eating last night and a seahawks journalist was being interviewed on ESPN or a channel like that. He was fully decked out in a jersey, hat and everything. I am all for being a fan of the team you cover in your local area, but give me a break. Be a professional. You look like an idiot when you sow up on TV wearing that as a grown man and a "professional"

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the thing --- the "sports journalists" here in Seattle are not of the same caliber as Kawakami, Dan Brown, Matt Maiocco, or Matt Barrows, they have fallen prey to the worst of Seattle sports hype -- your team and players are either the best in the world or the worst. Now they're the best. As for the finer points of Blount's column:
Malcolm Smith has been outstanding all year and like many of the Seahawk standouts he was an injury replacement he did well, but still.
Russell Wilson --- here's the amazing thing about Wilson, he can make an amazing play out of nothing, it's just uncanny. Whether it's running out of trouble for a long gain, throwing a TD pass on a busted 4th down play, or whatever, he has great vision and sense. He also never seems to get rattled by anything. Ironically enough, he probably was at his best when the offensive line was injured and these broken plays happened often, once he was played differently and contained he was a different player. I think that as the season wore on a lot of teams figured out how to play him, and fortunately he had Lynch and a great defense behind him.
Wagner? That's laughable --- he was the defensive rookie of the year last year, but this year he was over pursuing and even when he got healthy again he was on the bench for periods of time. It was talked about all over the Seattle sports radio for weeks. How Blount could not even mention that is absurd.
And DYNASTY? Yes, people here are already talking about a repeat, etc., but they have decisions to make starting this year on Thomas at least, and then Sherman and Wilson, and they will keep Harvin now and he's eating up the cap too.
Just when I was ok with Seattle ending it's drought and finally having a major sports championship after losing the Sonics to that fucktard David Stern and his butt buddy Clay Bennett, and having the Mariners suck for over a decade I read this column and listen to stuff and I'm pissed all over again.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I don't see it either. I think its just jealousy or blind homerism. The dude is absolutely critical to the success of that team. The amount of big plays hemakes out of busted plays is incredible.

But that's just it. He excels at making critical plays at critical times but outside of that Seattle is towards the bottom of the league in passing.

It's clear that the defense and Lynch are the biggest reason Seattle won the SB this year which is why Wilson gets stuck with the game manager tag.

That's not a knock on Wilson because he's fulfilling the role that Carroll wants and you can't fault a guy for not doing something he's not even asked of in the first place.

Wilson was very average towards the end of the season and in the playoffs but as I said at first he still made those handful of plays during the game that needed to be made. It's just that if he played better he wouldn't have to make as many critical plays in the first place.

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carroll repeatedly emphasizes not turning the ball over and letting the defense take control of the game, Wilson is perfect for that because he's smart enough not to do those things and when things get desperate he can make the big play. If Kaepernick continues to progress this offseason and learn his reads etc., I'd still take him over Wilson in a heartbeat.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But that's just it. He excels at making critical plays at critical times but outside of that Seattle is towards the bottom of the league in passing.

It's clear that the defense and Lynch are the biggest reason Seattle won the SB this year which is why Wilson gets stuck with the game manager tag.

That's not a knock on Wilson because he's fulfilling the role that Carroll wants and you can't fault a guy for not doing something he's not even asked of in the first place.

Wilson was very average towards the end of the season and in the playoffs but as I said at first he still made those handful of plays during the game that needed to be made. It's just that if he played better he wouldn't have to make as many critical plays in the first place.

I think I gotta disagree. He looked very good in the playoffs and look at the receiving corps he has to work with. They gotta be among the least talented in the league. Wilson is at least as important as Lynch in my opinion. When they need something from Wilson,he is always there.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carroll repeatedly emphasizes not turning the ball over and letting the defense take control of the game, Wilson is perfect for that because he's smart enough not to do those things and when things get desperate he can make the big play. If Kaepernick continues to progress this offseason and learn his reads etc., I'd still take him over Wilson in a heartbeat.

Until Kaepernick gets over his fear of the middle of the field he will continue to struggle as a passer.

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do hope that Kap works on his reads and progression. If he works on these skills, he will use the middle of the field. What I fear the most is that because of his great arm and at times arrogance, he continues to force passes. Out of his 11 interceptions last season, 6 were against the Seahawks. There is nothing wrong with trusting Crabtree because he does have great hands, but if he is covered by Sherman, Kap needs to look at the other receivers. Boldin and Patton are capable of making plays.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do hope that Kap works on his reads and progression. If he works on these skills, he will use the middle of the field. What I fear the most is that because of his great arm and at times arrogance, he continues to force passes. Out of his 11 interceptions last season, 6 were against the Seahawks. There is nothing wrong with trusting Crabtree because he does have great hands, but if he is covered by Sherman, Kap needs to look at the other receivers. Boldin and Patton are capable of making plays.

So is Davis

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[/B]

So is Davis

I forgot about Davis. Although he seems to have difficulty against the Seahawks. It could be that Chancellor is is big and physical that he matches well with VD. Also when VD lines up as a wideout on Sherman's side of the field, he nullified most of the time. I was hoping McDonald would have more of an impact as a 2nd TE, but he was a disappointment. He was a better blocker than a receiver, although I don't know how many times he was targeted last season.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I forgot about Davis. Although he seems to have difficulty against the Seahawks. It could be that Chancellor is is big and physical that he matches well with VD. Also when VD lines up as a wideout on Sherman's side of the field, he nullified most of the time. I was hoping McDonald would have more of an impact as a 2nd TE, but he was a disappointment. He was a better blocker than a receiver, although I don't know how many times he was targeted last season.

The problem for Davis is that he is most effective working the middle of the field and the seams. Kaepernick does not have the confidence to throw in that area anymore. Its strange because he came in right away last year throwing those balls and the crossing routes. Those are no longer in the 49er playbook it seems.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem for Davis is that he is most effective working the middle of the field and the seams. Kaepernick does not have the confidence to throw in that area anymore. Its strange because he came in right away last year throwing those balls and the crossing routes. Those are no longer in the 49er playbook it seems.

I forgot who said this, but if we combined Colin Kaepernick and Alex Smith we'd have the best quarterback. We would have a smart quarterback, with a strong arm, who can pass in the seams down the middle, pass along the sidelines, is a hard worker, professional, edgy like the coach, marketable, uncontroversial but not boring, not afraid to take some risks (especially deep) but still protects the ball, experienced with multiple systems, and a veteran who doesn't run out of bounds when we're trying to burn clock, is mobile to scramble and keep the play alive, make plays, and can use his legs on designed runs while sliding when needed or diving when a first is necessary. We would still need to work on pocket presence and clock issues. Kaepernick, over time, could be all this, but as of right now, a hybrid would be great.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I forgot who said this, but if we combined Colin Kaepernick and Alex Smith we'd have the best quarterback. We would have a smart quarterback, with a strong arm, who can pass in the seams down the middle, pass along the sidelines, is a hard worker, professional, edgy like the coach, marketable, uncontroversial but not boring, not afraid to take some risks (especially deep) but still protects the ball, experienced with multiple systems, and a veteran who doesn't run out of bounds when we're trying to burn clock, is mobile to scramble and keep the play alive, make plays, and can use his legs on designed runs while sliding when needed or diving when a first is necessary. We would still need to work on pocket presence and clock issues. Kaepernick, over time, could be all this, but as of right now, a hybrid would be great.

Interesting.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting.

Now, of course, you could combine Joe Montana and Kaepernick and get a better quarterback. You could also combine Tom Brady and Kaepernick and you would have the best quarterback. You could combine Peyton Manning and Cam Newton and you'd have the best quarterback. The point is you would like to have someone as strong and as good of a runner as Kaepernick or Newton but also the rest of the qualities like Tom Brady, Joe Montana, and Peyton Manning. Of course, if you can't combine, I would take Joe Montana.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am waiting for someone to post a gif of some mad scientist or that one famous one that escapes my mind right now that talks like "we could make..."