• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Has the Val Bure rant been posted?

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sorry if it was ... if not ...

A fired-up Valeri Bure slammed the Vancouver Canucks and his former agent-turned GM Mike Gillis, calling them "pathetic" for not retiring his brother Pavel Bure's number.
On Team 1040 to talk about Pavel getting passed over again for the Hockey Hall of Fame, Val took aim at Gillis and ripped the organization for failing to recognize Pavel by retiring his number.
“I think Mike Gillis not retiring his number is pathetic, without him they might not have a GM place now,” Valeri said. “The way that Mike Gillis handled himself when the people asked him why Pavel Bure's jersey is not up he said something like 'I'll decide when his jersey goes up' And I thought who gives you the authority to decide. Who are you? You are an ex-agent who got paid by my brother a lot of money, got paid by a lot of players a lot of money, now those players got you that job and now you've got to decide who's jersey is going up or not. This is just absolutely crazy, crazy talk by him and that's one of the things that bother me.”
"(Gillis) has been great for the organization, and it's not that Markus Naslund's jersey went up, so, well my brother's should go up.

"His jersey should be up for what he's done."

Up to now, it's been unclear whether Pavel even wanted to be honoured. But his brother sure made a strong case he does. Valeri said he didn't have bad blood with Gillis and didn't think there was any between his brother and Gillis.
Val also compared his brother to Wayne Gretzky and suggested the Florida Panthers should also retire his number.

and this

CALGARY — Val Bure slowly burned from his home near the beach in sunny Los Angeles.

Frankly speaking, the Calgary Flames alumnus can’t fathom how the 18 members of the Hockey Hall of Fame induction committee overlooked his big brother, Pavel Bure.

Again.

“My brother, he was so electrifying,” said Val Bure. “He brought people out of their seats every time he touched the puck.

“The way he scored the goals — he just transformed the game.”

On Tuesday the Hall of Fame called four new members for induction in November in Toronto: Doug Gilmour, Mark Howe, Joe Nieuwendyk, and Ed Belfour.

Val said he doesn’t mean to offend any of them in publicly speaking about the exclusion of his brother.

“Who am I to say those guys shouldn’t be in the Hockey Hall of Fame,” Val said. “They’re my heroes. I looked up to them when I played hockey. They’re unbelievable players. There’s not disrespect. It’s disappointment.”

Val is beyond disappointed with Vancouver Canucks — in particular, general manager Mike Gillis — for not retiring his brother’s number.

In his former life as a player agent, Gillis represented both Bure brothers.

“Mike Gillis decided not to do this,” Bure said. “It’s pretty frustrating. I have a problem with this personally. My brother, of course, never does.

“But for me, he’s by far the best player they ever had in their organization. Without him, there wouldn’t be a GM Place (Rogers Arena) where they play now. There would not be the excitement in the sport, period.

“What he did for the organization was phenomenal. For his jersey not to be up, it’s completely wrong.”

As such, Val urged the powers that be to intervene.

“Mike, what have you done for hockey to decide when Pavel Bure’s jersey will go up?” he said. “You’re a general manager and you’re going to decide?

“It’s unbelievable. Unheard of. I wish the owners would step in and do something. Maybe they won’t. It’s very sad.”

The Canucks have retired the jerseys of three players: Stan Smyl, Trevor Linden and Markus Naslund.

“He (Val) seems to be misinformed because I’ve always supported Pavel and will continue to support him,” Gillis said. “I have limited input into these decisions because it would be completely inappropriate for me with my history with Pavel to make such a call alone.

“It’s unfortunate that Val is somehow misinformed about these matters.”

Gillis and the Vancouver management team dined with Pavel Bure the last time the Canucks played in South Florida.

Over a decade in the NHL, Bure collected 437 goals and 779 points in 702 games. He played seven season in Vancouver and scored 254 goals.

The Russian Rocket retired in 2004.

“The stats of my brother speak for them selves,” Val said. “They’re not going to change next year or the year after that. My brother’s stats are always going to be there and everything he did for hockey in Canada, North America and worldwide. At the Olympic Games.

“Ovechkin might not be playing hockey today if it weren’t for my brother. That’s who he looked up to when he was a kid.”

Calgary Herald

With files from the Vancouver Province

Read more: Val Bure shocked brother Pavel excluded from Hall of Fame

Last edited by a moderator:

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you guys think, should the Canucks retire Pavel's jersey?!?

Automattic

I'm baaaaaaack....
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Ok, so let's say Gillis gets Pavel's jersey in the rafters....Would it not look like favoritism? I'm not saying Val is wrong, but probably complaining about the wrong person/people, imo. Especially right now. The other thing that should be in the rafters is probably too fresh on everybodies minds.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i listened to it on radio it was certainly from the heart. he was not happy about it and certainly does not like Gillis his ex agent.

I think yes it should be retired. that guy even with the hold out was the most exciting player the Canucks have EVER had and may ever have. he and linden truly helped build GM Place (mostly Trevor) but Bure for what he did here can not be undermined because of the hold out. thats like not raising Fleury for being such a dick most of his career. and oh he was.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kinda lame... Now that he made a big stink about, if/when they do retire his number, it will take some of the joy out of it.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you guys think, should the Canucks retire Pavel's jersey?!?

very tough ... ive gone back and forth on it

he is the best canucks player of all time ... he left the team in an unsavoury way

as of today, (lol) I wouldnt retire his jersey but he belongs in the HOF

Don Taylor: "why do you think he hasnt got into the Hall of Fame"
Val Bure: "somebody on the HOF committee probably doesnt like him"

jeez i wonder who he thinks that could be?

Pat-Quinn-Edmonton-Oilers.jpg

Automattic

I'm baaaaaaack....
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
very tough ... ive gone back and forth on it

he is the best canucks player of all time ... he left the team in an unsavoury way

as of today, (lol) I wouldnt retire his jersey but he belongs in the HOF

Don Taylor: "why do you think he hasnt got into the Hall of Fame"
Val Bure: "somebody on the HOF committee probably doesnt like him"

jeez i wonder who he thinks that could be?

Pat-Quinn-Edmonton-Oilers.jpg

lol Pat seems pissed no matter who is introducing to the Hall.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing about getting into the HHoF is the guys doing clearly have specific biases which can never really be overcome. I was listening to NHL Live after the announcement and it was very interesting to hear from a few guys who were on the selection committee. A lot of guys in there have certain...motives to get their guy in, and really represent a specific area. Someone tweeted yesterday "If Pavel Bure was a Canadian named Patty O'Burr, he would've been a first ballot HoFer". On the retirement thing...well, I'm not a Nucks fan, but based on the numbers and what he did for excitement up there, you'd think he'd be worthy. Clearly theres some issues with Val and Gillis. During the Cup finals his wife (Candance Cameron) tweeted "Go Bruins!" and I tweeted back "Wow! A Bure rooting against the Nucks! That just seems wrong!" And her response was something along the lines of "There's more to it/There's a reason"

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kinda lame... Now that he made a big stink about, if/when they do retire his number, it will take some of the joy out of it.

i dont think so Jeff. I thin k Val is fairly irrelevant in the NHL circles and media. Everyone in Vancouver will embrace his jersey should it go up (well most of everyone there are always haters) same with HOF. It will take nothing away from it.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As of today, I wouldnt retire his jersey but he belongs in the HOF

I agree with that. Good overall numbers, prolific at times. I think he is HOF worthy and surprised he didn't go in this year.

But the retirement of a jersey depends on different factors, most importantly your career WITH that particular team, not your NHL career as a whole. And I'm not sure if Bure was with the Canucks for enough full seasons to merit a jersey retirement.

In any case, he just retired about 8 years ago. Isn't it early for jersey retirement talk anyway? I think it usually takes longer than that. Caps waited a decade to retire Mike Gartner's number and he had 700+ goals, not 400+.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with that. Good overall numbers, prolific at times. I think he is HOF worthy and surprised he didn't go in this year.

But the retirement of a jersey depends on different factors, most importantly your career WITH that particular team, not your NHL career as a whole. And I'm not sure if Bure was with the Canucks for enough full seasons to merit a jersey retirement.

In any case, he just retired about 8 years ago. Isn't it early for jersey retirement talk anyway? I think it usually takes longer than that. Caps waited a decade to retire Mike Gartner's number and he had 700+ goals, not 400+.

and the retirement of a jersey is a franchise specific thing ... hockey fans around the league maybe dont know the dirty little secrets/rumours (ie threatening to sit out of game 7) that go on in certain markets with regards to certain players in the same way they might question why the city holds a guy like Trevor Linden in such high regard ... with Bure in Vancouver, I can sum it up as if there was always an unsavoury aura (off the ice) around him

right or wrong, the precedent the canucks have set is that its gonna take more than numbers to get your number up in the rafters

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Retirement really does vary by team a lot. Some teams have TONS retired (ie. Original Six), and some have 1 or 2. I mean, I truly don't know much about how he left Van, but could one equate it to Jagr? I mean, that's the ONLY reason his jersey being retired is in question.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What Pavel Bure was to the Canucks Valeri Bure was to the Spokane Chiefs so I support this rant! :p

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gallagher:

BOLD = ZING!!!

but you have to wonder what is keeping one of the most exciting players in the history of the game out of this select company.

Obviously one's first thoughts turn to Pat Quinn, who drafted, signed and coached the fellow all through his trade requests, his first serious knee injury and all the early success he enjoyed here in Vancouver. That included being named the first ever Vancouver rookie of the year, his key game seven overtime goal against Calgary on the '94 run and three 50-goal plus seasons. And the question must arise, is it Quinn who is stonewalling the fellow when it comes to these confidential discussions the Hall of Fame selection committee has behind closed doors which chairman Bill Hay insists can't be more open to the public? After all he's a prominent member of the committee himself and when the name of Bure comes up, surely most everyone would be attentive to what he would have to say about the Russian Rocket for whom he was both coach and general manager here in Vancouver.

Nobody knows the answer to that question and to assume Bure is being stonewalled by Quinn is unfair. But when the committee was asked whether the entertainment value of a player was considered in these confidential discussions amongst the committee members, he volunteered a comment which indicated he might have been referring to Bure given he was responding to a question from your truly, a Vancouver scribe.

After the clearly out of it Hay responded that entertainment value wasn't considered (even though 'Fame' is in the title) but 'only honest to goodness talent,' Quinn said: “There is consideration of some element of character and contribution to his team and to the game.”

Evidently those elements of character don't include baby sitters, trashed dressing rooms, scuffles with police in Miami or having broken beer bottles injure teammates as in the case of a couple of Tuesday's inductees.

To be fair to Quinn, maybe there is some deep dark secret about Bure that's better left unsaid at this point which is legitimately keeping out the third highest goals per game scorer in NHL history. We don't have any idea. But at the very least it can be concluded that if in fact he is lobbying for his former player, he's doing a less than convincing job of it.

Read more: Gallagher: Bure's call to hall held over again

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's an interesting point jstew makes about unsavory aura...I wouldn't say there's anything unsavory about Joe Niewendyk's time with the Flames, but there was a pretty ugly dispute and holdout regarding money towards the end of his tenure with the Flames. I think there are some people within the Flames organization that have long memories and hold it against Joe when it comes to jersey retirements (he certainly has the numbers to support such a recognition).

Oh well.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the gillis response was in the Gallagher article i linked too

"... Gillis has always maintained he'd love to have Pavel in to be honored, although perhaps the team doesn't have a jersey retirement in mind. And if they didn't have the whole nine yards planned, you certainly couldn't blame the player for shunning lesser status. But whenever Gillis has approached him about coming in to be honored, Bure has always told him things like 'it's for old guys' and 'l'm a private person now.'

“He (Val) seems to be misinformed because I've always supported Pavel and will continue to support him,” said Gillis, who had dinner with Bure, Laurence Gilman and Lorne Henning the last time the team was in Miami. “I have limited input into these decisions because it would be completely inappropriate for me with my history with Pavel to make such a call alone. It's unfortunate that Val is somehow misinformed about these matters.”

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the most interesting part of this entire thread is that Pixburgher66 is tweeting and reading tweets from Candace Cameron Bure.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the most interesting part of this entire thread is that Pixburgher66 is tweeting and reading tweets from Candace Cameron Bure.

HEY NOW! DJ Tanner is cool! :)