• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hanson and Polanco update

Illinest

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I stole this from another site and the other site stole it from Baseball Prospectus. It's more goodness, nothing too different from what we've heard before.
Next year will be a good year for prospect watching. Cole and Taillon will be in the high minors, Polanco and Hanson will have a chance to advance to AA if they play well and Josh Bell can finally get some playing time.

September 20, 2012

Prospect Profile
Alen Hanson and Gregory Polanco
by Hudson Belinsky

Evaluating talent on the international market can be even more difficult than it is on the domestic side. Often, prospect writers become enamored with bonus babies and neglect many of the talented players who sign for smaller bonus figures. Every year, a few of these under-the-radar prospects raise their profiles considerably. This season, the Pittsburgh Pirates system saw two Dominican players burst onto the prospect scene: Alen Hanson and Gregory Polanco.

After a decent showing (statistically speaking) in the Gulf Coast League, Hanson advanced to full-season ball in 2012. He entered the season as the Pirates’ no. 17 prospect, according to Kevin Goldstein, described as a “young infielder [with] speed and an idea at the plate.” Now, one could make an argument that Hanson is the Pirates’ top position prospect.

The 19-year-old raised some eyebrows when he crushed opposing pitching in April (.410/.441/.695). While he couldn’t keep up that kind of pace, his offensive tools were beginning to materialize. A switch hitter, Hanson is short to the ball from both sides and has above-average power potential. He has the bat speed to be a plus-plus hitter, and the overall offensive package might be good enough to profile at any position on the field. This is where it gets scary: he’s a shortstop.

Hanson is a natural athlete and has all the tools of someone who can stick at the game’s most demanding defensive position. No one expects him to be Brendan Ryan, but his above-average arm and excellent mix of range and quickness give him a chance to be an average defender at short. He needs to log innings at the position and make his defensive development a priority, but the tools are all there. Speed is also a big part of Hanson’s game; he has the makings of an above-average runner, but he needs to refine his baserunning skills to make the most of his physical gifts.

Hanson has a chance to have at least average tools across the board, and with experience and a few refinements, he could become a something special. “Alen Hanson was born to lead off,” said Rick Sofield, who managed him at Low-A West Virginia this season. Sofield described Hanson as an unflappable kid who stays focused and believes in his baseball abilities. In researching Hanson, I couldn’t help but think of Jurickson Profar, who also boasts average-to-plus tools across the board and receives good grades for his makeup. Hanson isn’t quite the prospect that Profar is or was at the same age, but even a poor man’s Profar can be impressive.

Gregory Polanco is another up-the-middle-player who shined in West Virginia this season. Hanson had his fans entering 2012, but Gregory Polanco was a commodity unknown to most prognosticators. Now, the center fielder is also among the most promising position players in Pittsburgh’s system.

Polanco’s .325/.388/.522 line from this season is impressive, and he also managed to swipe 40 bags in 55 attempts. His speed is different than Hanson’s, as he takes a little bit longer to get moving out of the box, but it’s still a weapon that should play when it’s refined and he’s finished developing. Defensively, Polanco utilizes his foot speed and long legs to chew up plenty of ground, and he receives excellent marks for his instincts in center field. The 21-year-old also has a plus arm and can hold runners efficiently.

Offensively, Polanco is expected to be more of a power threat than a hitter for average. The key to unlocking his power potential, and thus to approaching his ceiling, is going to be his hit tool. He’s a lanky kid, and as a result, his swing can get long at times. Even though the bat speed is there, the swing has spawned some doubters. It’s not big and loopy, but “his arms are a little longer, so he’s always going to have to fight himself staying inside the ball,” according to one scout. However, he has shown some ability to shorten it and make consistent contact. If it comes together, Polanco’s skillset could be scary: the power is silly at five o’clock, and it’s already beginning to play in games. And there’s plenty more where that came from: as a scout added, “He’s gotten stronger, but he has by no means gotten into his man strength yet.”

Given his body type (listed at 6’4”, 170 lbs.), many evaluators question Polanco’s ability to stick in center, worrying that he’ll add weight until he’s forced to move off the position. However, his genetics suggest that this won’t be a problem. His father is approaching 60 and still looks like he could play, and Polanco could well mature into a chiseled athlete capable of patrolling center for a decade.

The best-case scenario is that Polanco turns into a defensive monster at an up-the-middle position and provides excellent power numbers. Since he became much better known this year, there seems to be some question as to how he’s going to handle the knowledge that he’s an attractive commodity. His work ethic this winter and next season will tell us a lot about his makeup.

In Hanson and Polanco, the Pirates have a pair of talented, high-ceiling prospects any organization would prize. Both players will see action in the Dominican Winter League and should receive invitations to big-league camp next spring. After that, High-A Bradenton will likely be the next stop for both. There, they’ll have the chance to prove themselves against better competition and continue climbing the ladder. A million things can go wrong between Low-A and the majors, but the ceilings of Hanson and Polanco give Bucs fans and officials something to dream on.

Comments:
Hudson Belinsky
BP staff
(62929)I'm not sure about Hanson's defense. In terms of upside, he could be an average big league defender, but he could also play himself off of the position. I expect him to stick, but I also thought the Angels would be better than the Rangers this season. The hit tool is certainly his best asset.

I love Gregory Polanco. 60 defender, 60 arm, 50 runner. The power and hit tool are both uncertain right now. The potential for 60/65 power is there, but the hit tool is mysterious. I heard the word "inconsistent" on the swing. Obviously that's a concern, but it also means there are times when it's good.

2013 is going to tell us a ton about both of these guys. We should know soon about Polanco's hit tool and and Hanson's defense.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Baseball America is going through their top 20 prospects at each league in the minor leagues. So far they have done 2 leagues that contained Pirates minor leaguers. They did the Gulf Coast League last week and today did the NYPL. In the Gulf Coast League, they had 4 players in the top 20. #5 was Wyatt Mathisen, #7 was Dilson Herrera, #9 was Tyler Glasnow and ##19 was Jin-De-hang. In the GCL, they had 3 top 20 prospects. #2 was Luis Heredia, #10 was Barrett Barnes and #15 was Clay Holmes.

While I don't see any of our prospects from the GCL making the top 100(Mathisen and Herrera have an outside shot, but not likely), I am sure Heredia will make it, and I thought Holmes had a shot, but if he is behind Barnes, I don't think he has much of a chance, because I don't think Barnes will be very close at all.

All in all not to bad so far, but I fear once we reach the upper minors Pirates players will be few and far between, other than the known names.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just because I like making comparisons, Polanco sounds like Mike Cameron, and Hanson sounds like Jimmy Rollins. Obviously, the chances are slim either hits that upside, but one can dream.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I am not much for comparisons, but since you started this element I would say Polanco reminds me of Daryl Strawberry, physically speaking. Hanson is harder to guage, Rollins may be a good comp, or maybe Jose Reyes, just because of the style of his XBH's.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
BA did the FSL today and no surprise at the top. Cole was #2 and Taillon was #3. Two surprises, at least to me, Gift Ngope was #20. Alex Dickerson was not in the top 20 at all. Dickerson was probably hurt by the fact that he is a 1B prospect, and all hi s value comes from his bat.

Illinest

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Ngoepe is a gifted glove-man from what I've heard. He's also fairly fast and he hit a surprising number of homeruns this year so maybe there's your reason. I still consider him worth watching. Bit of a longshot but I think he's one breakout season away from being the next Mercer, Darnauld, Bixler, whatever.