• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

HalfWay Through Season

Dr Cyanide 28

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thoughts and Observations halfway through the season

Watched the highlights from our last game. Chargers actually got lucky numerous times. Antonio Gates barely scored on his touchdown and could've easily been down short, Travis Benjamin's touchdown was fluky as it gets, Lorenzo Doss tipped the pass but Benjamin just stuck out his arm to keep it in play and wound up catching it. Furthermore, we fumbled twice in their 10 yard line or less. We still wound up with the W, but offense needs to play cleaner.

Considering the offenses we have played against so far this year, our defense is playing at just as high of a level as last year (actually better against the pass and worse against the run). The key remains, as has been stated in here since preseason: growing and improving the offensive line, winning the turnover battle/protecting the ball, and running the ball effectively. If we can do that, with our defense, we have every reason to believe that we can be holding the Lombardi up again at the end of the season.

6-2 after the first half of the year, but the second half schedule looks far more difficult with only three remaining home games, two games against Oakland, two games against Kansas City, a game against the patriots, and a game that might actually end up being tough against Tennessee (they are going to run the ball and they have a very elusive quarterback, something that we have struggled against) and a tough game against New Orleans in the Superdome (I don't care what the record says, beating New Orleans in New Orleans is one of the hardest things to do given with their offense has shown to be able to do at home) I said 11-5 to start the year and I am going to stick with it.

Offensive MVP: Matt Paradis (best center in football right now according to PFF)
Offensive LVP: Russell Okung (could give it to Garcia and Stephenson too... but Okung is paid the most and has the highest expectations so I go with him)
Offensive Most Underrated: Andy Janovich
Who to watch second half: Devontae Booker

Defensive MVP: Von Miller (Wolfe and Talib get honorable mention)
Defensive LVP: Jared Crick and Sly Williams
Defensive Most Underrated: Darian Stewart
Who to watch second half: both our rookies who are getting more and more snaps, Justin Simmons and Adam Gotsis

If you followed me this far, give me your final prediction on our record and what seed we will be in the playoffs!

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just a few more players I would like to mention...I know he hasn't graded out as well as Paradis but Schofield deserves some recognition. This entire off season he was thrown all over the OL and now since the season started he has played 3 different positions. Not always great but for what he has been asked to do in a pinch for this team he definitely deserves some recognition. Consider also just where he was last year with fans asking for his head on a platter to now being one of our more consistent starters on the offense.

LVP on offense to me has been the TE's. Green played great the first 2 games before injury but since then has been pretty non-existent and the two guys behind him have been even less existent if that is possible. Hopefully Derby can save this group but wouldn't surprise me if next year this whole group is overhauled.

And to me as great as Von Miller has been this year I would still probably give my Defensive MVP to Talib. QB's have a QB Rating of 37 when throwing his direction. Just to put that into perspective they would have a higher QB rating if they just threw it in the dirt every time they threw his direction. He has been great in run support and hasn't been the hot head on the field that we saw some last year. Very impressed with his work as I thought he was moving in the wrong direction at times last year.

As for final prediction I'll go 11-5. Like you said tough remaining schedule. I would go higher if I felt more comfortable with our offense. Now I will say I do expect our offense to begin to look a bit better as the season progresses. We all said before the season that it would take at least 8 weeks for this OL to gel. They have had moments of showing it like against the Texans. We just need to see higher consistency from this group and if they get to going there is no telling what this team can do.

I think we get the 2-seed. Crazy to think that 11-5 can get the 2-seed but pretty much if we win our division I think we will get it. Nobody from the AFC South is getting to that record. The AFC North with Big Ben hurt would struggle to get there. So whoever wins the AFC West most likely gets the Bye Week. Won't be easy as the Chiefs are looking about as strong as they have all season lately and probably have the most balanced team in the AFC West. Still I think they will lose a few along the way.

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doc, I want to plead the case for Max - the past two games he has played at a pretty high level. and that's what I'm looking for from young OL, continued improvement. And I think we are seeing that with him.

nflbronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we can go 4-2 against KC and Oak twice NE and @ NO we'll be # 2 seed. Still going 11-5.

Dr Cyanide 28

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doc, I want to plead the case for Max - the past two games he has played at a pretty high level. and that's what I'm looking for from young OL, continued improvement. And I think we are seeing that with him.
he has played better the past two games you are correct. the tackles looked good to start the year and have been getting worse and worse while our interior is getting better and better. quite interesting

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he has played better the past two games you are correct. the tackles looked good to start the year and have been getting worse and worse while our interior is getting better and better. quite interesting

Well makes sense with the youth movement on the inside that they would be getting better as the season progresses. Have to wonder if that concussion for Okung hasn't fully recovered yet or Stephenson's calf hasn't fully recovered because the drop off in play is just tough to explain. Now given Stephenson at least his only 2 bad games this year (played well against Houston) were going against a somewhat surprising rookie in Joey Bosa who has made a lot of tackles look silly so far this year. So if it is just that one player he struggles with them I'm not going to be too worried but Okung yeah I am a bit worried. Good week to get themselves right though as the Raiders have allowed a lot of teams to push them around.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was going to open a similar thread but decided to wait until the bye week. My content from that thread will be different enough from this one I'll still weigh in here. Without picking specific wins and losses, here's a break down of the remaining schedule I think is reasonable:

Next two weeks: 1-1

It's hard to see this team beating the Raiders in their house then turning around and beating the Saints in theirs in subsequent weeks. With that said, I think the Broncos are good enough to beat one of these teams. If they don't handle the Raiders I'm confident they'd regroup and be ready for the Saints next week.

Weeks 12-14: 2-1

This stretch features a bout with the Chiefs before another pair of road trips. While the Jags and Titans may not look that daunting, the Jags in Florida are always a tough out for the Broncos and the Titans may just be finding their stride so that game doesn't look like a gimme. Believe it or not, the game I'm most confident about from this stretch is the Chiefs because it's at home after a bye.

Weeks 15-17: 2-1

This is actually a really tough way to close out the season. Even though it's two home games, one of them is with the Patriots and the other with the Raiders, who are 5-0 on the road. As if that's not stout enough, the Broncos have a Christmas Day bout with the Chiefs in Kansas City. A 2-1 performance here is a pretty strong finish.

That combination results in an 11-5 finish. My prediction at the start of the season was 12-4 and with the team currently at 6-2 I really think it's a bit premature to back off of that prediction. I wouldn't be disappointed with 11-5 though. That's a good finish for a team that had the "worst QB situation in the league" and a defense that would "surely regress" in 2016.

The big thing going forward is winning the games against AFC West teams. The Broncos can't count on other opponents to do what they have a chance and the ability to do for themselves. A total of 4 head to head games remain with AFC West teams. That's 4 opportunities to put some space between the Broncos and their rivals.

This is really shaping up to be another exciting season.

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe that the Broncos will take one of two paths in the next two months. They will either rise to the challenge like last year and be an elite team entering the playoffs or they will settle into a good but not great team. The second half of the year always brings a different brand of football. The great teams get better and the "not quite there" teams fall back. The defense will lead the charge in whichever path they take but for them to rise up in the 2nd half of the season, the offense needs to to step it up.

I know that Peyton Manning had a rough year last year, but we can't lose sight of the fact that the Broncos are building a new offensive identity with a first year starter or rookie at quarterback. To be 6-2 in that scenario is really a blessing and testament to the strength of this defense.

"Win from now on!" Elway made it clear and I think in the next 5 years or so, they'll do just that!

Dr Cyanide 28

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is there any chance that we see Lynch take over in the 2nd half?

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You think Marshawn would come out of retirement to play? That would be awesome.

If Denver continues to win despite poor QB play, I think he sits.

nflbronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Its possible because Trevor might get hurt or be playing really really bad they have to switch.. I hope we can sit Lynch til next year though. He isn't ready right now.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Broncos want to win the AFC West for a 6th straight year, it starts Sunday night. The way I see it you need to go 4-2 in the division. That means winning all of your home games and stealing one on the road. We've already lost at San Diego, that means we need to beat either the Chiefs or Raiders at their house. Winning at Kansas City on Christmas Night is a monumental task, so that means you gotta beat the Raiders this week.

The Broncos have won 5 straight games in Oakland. In fact, the last time the Raiders beat the Broncos in Oakland, it was 2010 and Tim Tebow was making his first ever start. Let's hope the Broncos can keep that streak alive and get another one in the Black Hole.

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would guess that naming Lynch the O captain for the second half of the year guarantees Lynch a spot on the bench - unless Trevor gets injured.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I'm doubting that Lynch gets a chance this year unless an injury happens. I do think Kubiak challenged Siemian this week to improve or get out though. Kubiak did not have great things to say about this past game and about some of the struggles on this offense putting a decent level of blame on Siemian's shoulders. I thought he responded well recognizing he didn't play great and got lucky at times. Siemian has shown a great ability to have a bad day and bounce back though so I like his chances to have a good game this week.

Still I will say this coaching staff even when the team is winning has shown they are not afraid to make changes if they think it helps the team. Siemian being voted captain though by his teammates is probably a pretty big statement to this coaching staff that things could turn ugly if they take him out.

nflbronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Talib's back thing worries me. Is he really getting a 2nd opinion on it?

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Talib's back thing worries me. Is he really getting a 2nd opinion on it?

Yeah he was in California today for the 2nd opinion. Sounds like they are not thinking season ending or anything like that just trying to figure out why this is lingering. The coaches were very optimistic that he would be a go this weekend.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not too worried about Talib. It would be great if he were available this week but we have a capable player to fill in for him and if it means keeping Talib healthy down the stretch I'm willing to take the risk this week. Even in a big game like this one.

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Talib is still not practicing. Even thought the news was somewhat good coming out of California yesterday, it's starting to look like he won't play. We'll see.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not too worried about Talib. It would be great if he were available this week but we have a capable player to fill in for him and if it means keeping Talib healthy down the stretch I'm willing to take the risk this week. Even in a big game like this one.

I don't know if back issues just need rest. Hope so but I could see this as a injury that comes and goes.

Dr Cyanide 28

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From PFF Top Performers of Week 8.
Cornerback: Lorenzo Doss, Denver Broncos, 88.9
How many quality corners do the Denver Broncos have, exactly? With Aqib Talib out, Bradley Roby stepped up and had a huge game, but he wasn’t the only one. Lorenzo Doss was thrown at six times, allowing just two catches and 29 yards while breaking up two passes, one resulting in an interception to a teammate. He did surrender a touchdown on a flukey play by Travis Benjamin, but it was an overall excellent performance for a player thrust into action.