• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Guys you'd trade up for in the first round.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Bingo, I'm curious as to why you wouldn't want a NT in the first round? Is it because Sopoaga played such few snaps?

If it is, I don't get that rationale because NT is probably the most important player on the entire defense when they line up 3 DL. And NT is a huge need if Sopoaga leaves (and I think it's still a need even if he doesn't leave).

Look at the Steelers' defense last decade. They had a lot of good players, but the single biggest reason they were so good was Casey Hampton IMO.

A NT in the first round has to be a force to be reckoned with at that spot for 60 minutes. I don't see a player in this year's draft who could be dominant at that position for all four quarters. Star, Hankins, can play NT efficiently but IMO I think they would get worn out by the end of the 3rd quarter. Those guys are more of a 4-3 DTs than they are NTs IMO. I see them more of a Ray McDonald type defensive of end but a much better level (not quite Justin Smith dominating ways, but more of a better Ray McDonald version). I agree with you that we desperately need a major upgrade at the NT position (watching the SB and seeing our inability to stop them in short yardage situations all the damn time makes me cringe). Therefore, I truly believe we should draft a NT with one of our 2nd round picks. I agree with you Sick, when making a comparison or an explanation as to why the Steelers were able to find success. I think we can find that player in big John Jenkins, or Kawann Short (he also can play end for us) - I would love to see him add a bit more weight though to his frame:

or a player like Brandon Williams (I think he could had in the 3rd):

Last edited by a moderator:

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I'm a big fan of Short too. Jenkins? Not quite as much, but he's a good prospect...

Why do you think Hankins would wear down over the course of a game but Short wouldn't?

I'd be happier re-signing Sopoaga than drafting Brandon Williams.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm a big fan of Short too. Jenkins? Not quite as much, but he's a good prospect...

Why do you think Hankins would wear down over the course of a game but Short wouldn't?

I'd be happier re-signing Sopoaga than drafting Brandon Williams.

At Purdue, Short faced much more double teams than Hankins did. Both players remained on the field a lot but to me at appeared as though Ohio State rotated their dlinemen more so than the boilermakers. Which explained why Short wore down more often than Hankins. Short is smaller (in terms of weight) than Hankins, yet Short seemed to be a bit more stout against the run. They both are great players and would make spectacular ends for us, but I think in regards to playing the nose, Short would be the better player down the stretch of a game. A combination of Jenkins/Hankins or Jenkins/Short would make me cry on draft day. Our linebackers would shed a couple tears as well.

Williams I didn't know much about until the week of the Senior Bowl. Stuff that I read about him (practices and an article that came out of what he had done in college this past season. Pretty good stats for a DT over his career). Anyway, I am not in love with him per se, but he's someone I would be happy to have if our coaches fill they have something special in him.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I would be very happy with either Short or Hankins, but I see Short as more of a 4-3 guy. He doesn't have the lateral quickness to play the 5 tech' IMO; I see him more of a guy who's just gonna collapse the pocket without much space to move. And he's a little small to be a NT IMO.

I didn't notice Short getting more doubles than Hankins, but may be you're right. That would be an interesting statistic for football nerds to find out; what percentage of the time they were singled or doubled.

Keep in mind, that Short is also 3 years older than Hankins. Short is going to have more natural strength than a 21 year old whose body hasn't even fully developed yet. That's another reason I like Hankins more than Short; by the time Hankins is 24, he's gonna be a beast. And when he's 26, he'll be ready to sign a 6-year contract extension.

Last edited by a moderator:

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I would be very happy with either Short or Hankins, but I see Short as more of a 4-3 guy. He doesn't have the lateral quickness to play the 5 tech' IMO; I see him more of a guy who's just gonna collapse the pocket without much space to move. And he's a little small to be a NT IMO.

I didn't notice Short getting more doubles than Hankins, but may be you're right. That would be an interesting statistic for football nerds to find out; what percentage of the time they were singled or doubled.

Keep in mind, that Short is also 3 years older than Hankins. Short is going to have more natural strength than a 21 year old whose body hasn't even fully developed yet. That's another reason I like Hankins more than Short; by the time Hankins is 24, he's gonna be a beast. And when he's 26, he'll be ready to sign a 6-year contract extension.

That is true, Sick. The age difference especially for the men in the trenches speaks volumes when assessing the entire player. Very good point indeed.