• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Gus Malzahn won't let Nick Marshall work out with George Whitfield this summer

lilchi721

Hoopla Cash
$ 20,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gus Malzahn has a chance to build something around a second-year starting quarterback for the first time in his college coaching career, and he doesn't want anyone interfering with the process.

"You want them thinking exactly like you want them to think," Malzahn said. "When you get multiple people working, there's multiple thoughts, so we want them thinking one way."

The Auburn coach is excited about the future prospects of Nick Marshall, a cornerback-turned-quarterback who led the Tigers to the BCS Championship Game with his fleet-footed runs and big throws down the field. It's also why he wants no one but his coaches working with the rising senior this spring and summer.

Quarterback guru George Whitfield Jr. has expressed interest in working with Marshall this summer, but Malzahn will not allow it. The expectation in January, according to Forbes, was that Marshall and Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston would work with Whitfield this summer, but Malzahn has other plans for his quarterback.

"We've never had anyone work with our quarterbacks while they still had eligibility," Malzahn said Friday. "We feel really good about how we go about it and the success we've had before. There won't be anyone working with our quarterbacks until their eligibility is exhausted."

Whitfield works with dozens of college quarterbacks, and gained national attention for his work with Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel in the offseason. He also worked with Cam Newton, but not until he decided to go pro. Whitfield's workouts in California carry a different tone than those on college campuses, including unconventional workouts on the beach and in the surf.
Whitfield said last week working with Marshall was a possibility, but Malzahn struck it down publicly Friday. Whitfield saw "flashes" of incredible throws from Marshall last season, when coaches relied more on Marshall's feet (1,068 rushing yards, 12 touchdowns) than his arm (1,976 yards, 14 touchdowns).

"What an incredible story," Whitfield told AL.com. "To be an SEC starting defensive back (at Georgia) -- his heart was always at quarterback -- and to find your way back to the position and drive to the front of a different ship and be the quarterback for a different university? There's not a whole lot of guys who can do that. One, the skill sets are drastically and different and the processing and ability to do that, I think, is such an underrated deal. It's like going from catcher to shortstop."

Many high-profile quarterbacks across the country seek extra coaching and training from gurus across the country in the summer, but Malzahn does not allow it at Auburn.

Coaches expect Marshall to be a bigger threat throwing the ball than he has been in the past. He completed only 59.4 percent of his passes in 2013, when the Tigers led the nation in rushing.

"You're seeing flashes of some of those throws," Whitfield said. "He's with, arguably, one of the best quarterback coaches on the planet with what coach Malzahn has done and what he can do with different body types, different models of guys."

Marshall threw the ball more often in the BCS Championship Game, but still misfired on a pair of throws, including a low throw that likely would have resulted in a touchdown on the first drive against Florida State.

Marshall seemed to be more confident as the season progressed, and he made several key passes to lead the Tigers in comeback victories against Mississippi State, Texas A&M, Georgia and Alabama.

"You can see that as the year went on," Malzahn said. "I know coach (Rhett) Lashlee is real excited about that and so hopefully we'll be able to be a little bit more progressive in spring."

Spring practices at Auburn begin March 18

Auburn's Gus Malzahn wants only one quarterback guru working with Nick Marshall | AL.com

Mistaken4193

REGISTERED GUMP!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 142.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know this has really nothing to do with the topic, but am I the only one that thinks Nick Marshalls speed is the #1 reason why Auburns running game was so good. Teams worry about him getting to the outside and that opened up room for Mason on the inside of the defense.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know this has really nothing to do with the topic, but am I the only one that thinks Nick Marshalls speed is the #1 reason why Auburns running game was so good. Teams worry about him getting to the outside and that opened up room for Mason on the inside of the defense.

I think it was more his reads you have to cover him, the back, the fullback out of the backfield and the receivers. It almost forces you to play man all over the field and he has the advantage of an extra second to see where discipline has broken down. It's simple by design hard to defend in practice.

sooner78wakeboard

Sooner Born, Sooner Bred
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Malzahn brings up a good point.

WABLTY

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's got a lot of pre knee Dennis Dixon to his game. Excellent athlete, can make enough throws and really quick on his reads. I tend to think Malzahn is right. Extra QB coaching can work in some situations, but not necessarily when you've already got high end coaching on staff. If Gus can't turn him into a passer, I doubt anyone can.

Last edited by a moderator:

wiskyisgood12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Malzahn makes a great point. Why have another voice contaminating your teaching points, have the player work with your coaches and be proficient with your scheme and your terminology.

I don't get why more coaches don't take that stance.