• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

GUILLOTINE LEAGUE?

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guillotine Leagues
We’re excited to announce that we’ve added a new option to support a “Guillotine Style” type of league. See below for more info on how these leagues work. We’ve also priced them at a significant discount to our regular leagues, so they are a great way to get a 2nd league going with your friends or co-workers for the 2019 season!

Here’s how the Guillotine League format works:

• Each week, the lowest scoring team is eliminated from the league!
  • When a team is eliminated, their entire roster is tossed back into the free agent pool for the waiver wire.
  • At the end of the season, the last team remaining is the champion.
The optimal number of teams for this format is 17 so that you have your “final” in week 16 (since one team is eliminated each week, there will only be 2 teams left in week 16). You can use less teams, but then it just means your season will end earlier. There is no fantasy schedule, and you don’t need to split the teams into divisions. You can fill the teams at the start of the season with whatever method you want: draft, auction, etc. You can use either type of waiver wire (blind bidding or regular waivers). The rest of the league is pretty much the same as any other league. Trading is optional. Each owner submits their lineup every week. You can choose any roster size and any starting lineup configuration, and use any type of scoring rules.

The real excitement of this format comes when it’s time to eliminate the lowest scoring fantasy team from the league each week. All of that team’s players, including whatever “studs” they have, will now be available on the weekly waiver wire for you to grab. So every week is an adventure in juggling your roster as you try to stay alive in the race to be the last team standing.

Check out this page for a full article on the Guillotine League format by Paul Charchian at Fanball, and check our Guillotine League FAQ Page for more details as well.

The Guillotine leagues are priced at $33.95, so it is only $2 per owner for some additional excitement! If you already have a regular league, and you want to run a Guillotine League using the same basic rules and the same owners, then you can use the option to Duplicate your league, and then just modify the format to be Total Points instead of Head to Head. After that, you’ll have access to the Guillotine League Setup page in your copied league.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah i just read it. seems like a kinda neat league

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds interesting.
Pretty sure you can do this as a free league on ESPN. Each week, the Commish would simply delete/remove the lowest scoring owner and manually throw their players into free agency.

femurov

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,138.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
... and I was just telling myself that I wasn't going to get into any more leagues this year.

jwolt92

The voice of fuckin reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 68,125.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ideally you want to finish second to last every week in the points so you're first on the waiver wire every week (assuming it goes to inverse of standings order)

Barilko

Probably at hockey or some dam concert you tell me
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
or maybe blind auction which i have never done but i know it may be the best waiver decider out there

Barilko

Probably at hockey or some dam concert you tell me
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
or maybe even SportsHoopla thread and an auction that is right there for all to see....

that could be fun

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I picture this league to be a no Bench league....

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ideally you want to finish second to last every week in the points so you're first on the waiver wire every week (assuming it goes to inverse of standings order)
Good point. This format would definitely give weaker teams (who aren't "the worst") an distinct advantage as they gobble up the disposed players.

The format is interesting but unless it's fine tuned, I wouldn't want to be part of that. Maybe keep former rostered players on waivers for 3 weeks. All other free agents would be available.

Blind auction is interesting. Levels it for all owners.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What the hell. I'm in.

femurov

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,138.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good point. This format would definitely give weaker teams (who aren't "the worst") an distinct advantage as they gobble up the disposed players.

The format is interesting but unless it's fine tuned, I wouldn't want to be part of that. Maybe keep former rostered players on waivers for 3 weeks. All other free agents would be available.

Blind auction is interesting. Levels it for all owners.
Yeah... some sort of an auction with a cap. Then, you add the whole, "Do I blow my wad to try to get a stud, or save it for later when I need help elsewhere? Will I even be around to use it if I save it?"

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This would be the first format I have seen where I think the auction with a cap is the way to go.