• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Greta Van Fleet, Awesome Rock Band

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or you could note the relevance of my post pertaining to the post I quoted. If he is to use the fucking Grammy's as some barometer of their worth, I can refute said claim by pointing out what I did.

You can like whatever band you fucking choose to like, just as I can dislike whatever fucking band I can choose to dislike. I don't like them. Get the fuck over it.

Fair point, so fuck off.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also like them, I wonder if that's ok.
giphy.gif

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're essentially a glorified reality tv show music act (america's got "talent" ..lol)
SNL is trying their best to appeal to a newer, younger viewership crowd by booking some of these acts.

Meh..whatevs.

Apparently they're very popular. Maybe people are just hungry for this sort of music again. I can sympathize with that. I can't stand most of what passes for popular music these days.. hip-hop, EDM & trifling dance pop. But then I'm just an old guy and definitely not their target demo.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Highway song.

Ok. That isn't terrible. But it just sounds like an LZ outtake that wasn't quite good enough to make the record... if you ignore the fact they aren't nearly as instrumentally proficient. The singer sounds exactly like Plant, though.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently they're very popular. Maybe people are just hungry for this sort of music again. I can sympathize with that. I can't stand most of what passes for popular music these days.. hip-hop, EDM & trifling dance pop. But then I'm just an old guy and definitely not their target demo.

I have to admit, my finger is far from being on the pulse of contemporary music, but I feel like there isn't much rock these days.

In my teens and twenties, there were still rock groups like Blues Traveler and the Black Crowes, Spin Doctors, etc. Maybe GVF is filling the void there. I don't think they're as good as any of those three, though.

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok. That isn't terrible. But it just sounds like an LZ outtake that wasn't quite good enough to make the record... if you ignore the fact they aren't nearly as instrumentally proficient. The singer sounds exactly like Plant, though.

They're relatively new. How could they at this point be as musically proficient as LZ? Very odd comment. That is the singer's voice. Is it OK if he makes a record. I think he sounds like Plant "lite". Plant's voice is actually stronger and fuller. They'll mature in all phases with time. But wait till you hear their next few albums.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're relatively new. How could they at this point be as musically proficient as LZ? Very odd comment. That is the singer's voice. Is it OK if he makes a record. I think he sounds like Plant "lite". Plant's voice is actually stronger and fuller. They'll mature in all phases with time. But wait till you hear their next few albums.

So what if they're new? Compare this album to Led Zeppelin I.

You and others like them. That's cool with me. The comparisons to Led Zeppelin, one of if not THE greatest rock 'n' roll bands in history, are ridiculous though.

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I hope we hear more of "this sort of music again". I'm an old senile, irascible, disgruntled bastard of a curmudgeon but I'm always lusting for a fresh sound or variations which GVA offers.

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They’re so fresh any dynamic, like only a tribute band who decides to do originals could be.

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You and others like them. That's cool with me. The comparisons to Led Zeppelin, one of if not THE greatest rock 'n' roll bands in history, are ridiculous though.

The Yardbirds with Page, Beck, and Clapton morphed into LZ with Plant and a new lineup. Those guys started early and were geniuses anyway. Nobody here is elevating GVF to that level as some here are implying; that is what is ridiculous.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All bands in their development phase emulate their influences and in this case it is Led Zeppelin, mainly because of the lead singer's voice. My guess is they'll write even better songs in the future and maybe even add a second guitar to strengthen and differentiate their sound.

Again... I think that there's a big difference between emulating, borrowing influence from and completely miming.

Could you look at the great bands from that era and claim they "emulated" their influences to such an extent? Were The Beatles, Stones, Zeppelin, Who, Sabbath, Hendrix... etc... out there completely looking, acting and sounding like Howlin Wolf, Muddy Waters, Elvis, Buddy Holly... etc... or any of those guys down to the finest detail? Like Greta is with Zeppelin?

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Again... I think that there's a big difference between emulating, borrowing influence from and completely miming.

Could you look at the great bands from that era and claim they "emulated" their influences to such an extent? Were The Beatles, Stones, Zeppelin, Who, Sabbath, Hendrix... etc... out there completely looking, acting and sounding like Howlin Wolf, Muddy Waters, Elvis, Buddy Holly... etc... or any of those guys down to the finest detail? Like Greta is with Zeppelin?

Early Stones were covers of the early black greats, Otis Redding, Little Richard, and others, but the unique voice of Jagger immediately differentiated them, of course. So yeah, the Stones emulated early rock pioneers and borrowed from them, why not? GVF is aged 19-22. So, their way ahead of even some older established groups.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really impressed by the band in the OP.

Here's a new guy that I can dig:

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Early Stones were covers of the early black greats, Otis Redding, Little Richard, and others, but the unique voice of Jagger immediately differentiated them, of course. So yeah, the Stones emulated early rock pioneers and borrowed from them, why not? GVF is aged 19-22. So, their way ahead of even some older established groups.
I don’t know, I’ve seen some pretty great Zeppelin tribute bands...

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But which record companies have signed them? GVF has new, refreshing tracks they write themselves.

You keep using that word...

And it looks like Lez Zeppelin (the all female Zeppelin tribute) has been singed with a couple different labels, for one.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sounds pretty similar, but Carl was better.