• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Great profile of Chip

WIZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently he does have one. Wow

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He may still be gay of course. I don't care what he does in his bedroom. All I care about is that he can coach, and he certainly seems like he can.

My concern with Chip, coaching wise, is that I think he settled on some mediocre assistants at certain spots, probably because he had too since the NFL establishment thought he was going to fall on his face. Billy Davis, I am looking at you, bud.

The worrying part of that profile was the tidbit that said he hired Billy Davis because he was recommended to him by Urban Meyer, who is a friend of Davis--Davis was best man at his wedding.

I think Davis is a mediocre coach. Same with Shurmur. I think Chip hired these guys because he wanted some people with NFL experience, but he couldn't get really good people with NFL experience. Hopefully he upgrades in a few years to better assistants, now that he seems to be part of the NFL fraternity and other coaches seem to respect him.

swat

Shady is the real Mccoy!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He may still be gay of course. I don't care what he does in his bedroom. All I care about is that he can coach, and he certainly seems like he can.

My concern with Chip, coaching wise, is that I think he settled on some mediocre assistants at certain spots, probably because he had too since the NFL establishment thought he was going to fall on his face. Billy Davis, I am looking at you, bud.

The worrying part of that profile was the tidbit that said he hired Billy Davis because he was recommended to him by Urban Meyer, who is a friend of Davis--Davis was best man at his wedding.

I think Davis is a mediocre coach. Same with Shurmur. I think Chip hired these guys because he wanted some people with NFL experience, but he couldn't get really good people with NFL experience. Hopefully he upgrades in a few years to better assistants, now that he seems to be part of the NFL fraternity and other coaches seem to respect him.

Shurmur is fine imo because he really isnt the O mastermind here. He is here to help out & he does have a lot of exp in the NFL. Billy Davis is somewhat questionable but Defensive Coordinators usually take a few stops/years to grow into their position. Plus they need talent. Its hard to say if Davis should go or not while we still need some talent in the secondary. Where only 1 starter is really any good. The rest are average or worse. Plus we dont have a dynamic pass rusher. Thats tough on any D coach. Plus we all have to remember that Chips O puts a lot of pressure on the D in terms of sheer number of plays. That cant be easy.

IMO, Chip is trying to build a D that makes teams take a long time to score if they are going to. Preferably FGs though. Then tries to demoralize them with fast tempo.quick scores (tds preferably) on O.

The problem IMO is that Nate Allen is terrible in deep coverage & the CBs bite on double moves way too often. That has got to get fixed. Once they fix that...this team will be very hard to beat. As it is, we are what 10-2 in our last 12 games.

The two losses show our issues though..vs Minny, our secondary got lit up by Matt Cassell & against the Saints, Davis was so scared of Brees destroying our DBs, he let them run all day long.

Gotta get some DBs next year. Cary, Fletcher & Nate better not be back in 2015.

Last edited by a moderator:

swat

Shady is the real Mccoy!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was looking at OLB & DB FAs for next year.

These guys seem like they would be good gets for us...

OLB Houston-KC
OLB Orakpo-WAS
CB A.Cason-CAR
CB B.Maxwell-SEA
S D.McCourty-NE

Houston & Mccourty probably get franchised or re-signed. So if u can get an Orakpo & Maxwell or Cason & then draft another CB and S really high up, Id say we'll be going in theright direction on D

Watkins probably looking at slot CB replacement for Boykin after 2015. Dont see Boykin sticking around.

Last edited by a moderator:

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Davis has done a decent job of shifting to a 3-4 D. He had a tough task and that probably also scared away more capable coordinators. But I don't get the sense that he is the most innovative defensive mind. He is basically trying to run a 1990s Pittsburgh zone-blitz scheme, and that's OK, but the talent right now is not enough to make a scheme like that work in vanilla mode.

swat

Shady is the real Mccoy!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta see Carroll get a chance before this season is over with. Have to.

swat

Shady is the real Mccoy!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eagles 12-4 (including playoff game) since Foles started playing. 2 of the 4 losses came in games he got injured in or didnt start.

We got something good going even with some serious issues on D. Chip/Foles combo seems to just WIN.

swat

Shady is the real Mccoy!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One super positive going forward is the emergence of Cody Parkey as a stud K. One of Chips biggest weaknesses at Oregon was the kicking game. In 2013 in the NFL, that continued but he seems to have finally found his stud K.

Already has won one game & been a huge difference in the other two.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's still early on Parkey, but yes, right now he looks like a major improvement. One of the papers had an interesting story about him--he grew up training with several major pro and college kickers in Florida. He was always the youngest guy in the group, but could come close to holding his own.

Meng first met Parkey when the rookie kicker was just coming out of eighth grade. Meng is known as the resident kicking expert in Jupiter, and it was Parkey's dad, Doug Sr., who encouraged Meng to work with both Cody and his older brother, Doug Jr.

"Cody, even though he was younger than Doug Jr., you could tell the potential was there." Meng said. "He was kind of quiet. Kept to himself. He is a very calm, cool and collected young man."

When Parkey first started training with Meng, he joined a group that included his older brother, current Atlanta Falcons punter Matt Bosher, and former Pro Bowl kicker John Carney. At the time, Parkey was a good four or five years younger than his competition in that group.

"All of us were kicking -- Bosher was in college, his brother was in high-school -- so he was kicking with older guys, and he could hold his own," Meng remembers. "Which was a great thing."

Building Cody Parkey: A look at the upbringing, coaching of the Eagles new kicker | NJ.com

Northern Eagle

Hangin' With The Homeboys
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Davis has done a decent job of shifting to a 3-4 D. He had a tough task and that probably also scared away more capable coordinators. But I don't get the sense that he is the most innovative defensive mind. He is basically trying to run a 1990s Pittsburgh zone-blitz scheme, and that's OK, but the talent right now is not enough to make a scheme like that work in vanilla mode.

I think he would be a little more creative if the talent was a bit better... lack of pass rush and Nate Allen are the biggest issues at the moment. I have faith they'll get it turned around, we can't keep relying on the offence to bail them out of every game, as spectacular as they have been to this point.

Northern Eagle

Hangin' With The Homeboys
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as Parkey goes, he's been a great find - I really like that he's a real student of his craft, heard somewhere that he charts every kick that he's ever made dating back to his college days.