• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Grats to Bunnies: Consensus 1st Team All-American

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yesterday Nick Johnson finished 5th in the Wooden Award voting, meaning that he is now an NCAA Consensus First Team All-American. Some of us remember hearing about a HS Sophomore from Phoenix who Lute was recruiting 7 years ago who could jump out of the gym. We watched his progress as he transferred to Findlay and through his three years in Tucson. And although most Arizona fans are now huge Nick Johnson fans, I highly doubt there are any of us who thought that he would be a consensus First-Team All-American one day.

It's not that he wasn't a very good player back then... it's just that when you think of all of the legendary players who have worn a Cats uniform, and the fact that only six of them have been named First-Team AA? It is rare company, to say the least. It is a testament to his dedication and hard work that he has improved each and every year that he has been on campus. No matter what choice he makes in the next few weeks, he is already a Tucson legend.

1988 – Sean Elliott
1989 – Sean Elliott
1995 – Damon Stoudamire
1998 – Mike Bibby
1998 – Miles Simon
1999 – Jason Terry
2014 - Nick Johnson

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It has been a few years since we've had one, too. Congrats to him, another great day to be a Wildcat!

Man, I just think we would eventually be hanging his jersey in the rafters at McKale if he stays next year. And that (to me) is the best individual honor you could get at AZ, and second only to hoisting the NC trophy. I think it's all right there in front of him for the taking. And I really don't see him in any way losing draft status next year, especially because of how weak the draft will be next year, compared to this year.

I get it, I'm a CBB homer. But I just think that there are only a hand-full of players who are really better to leave before they are seniors. Certainly staying until his JR year is much better than leaving after his FR year, but this year was a breakout year for him. Imagine what happens when he has another year to play with TJ, BA, and Zeus, all in the starting lineup. They'll be running clinics out there. He's a mid to late second round pick, might as well stay, and push for a better pick, and scoop up some serious hardware in CBB next year. If a consensus AA is projected to be a mid 2nd rounder, that should tell him something.

Last edited by a moderator:

azchamps

Hoopla Cash
$ 84.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats Nick. You earned it. Now I'm selfish, so I really hope you stay. I don't need to wish you luck with whatever you decide because you are going to go far no matter what. BEAR DOWN DUDE!

GO CATS!

520GGATO

Southern Arizona Servin'
Hoopla Cash
$ 85.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats to NJ, a memorable Wildcat.

It should have been 2 1st team All-Americans in the past 4 years. How Williams didn't get 1st team is comical.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats to NJ, a memorable Wildcat.

It should have been 2 1st team All-Americans in the past 4 years. How Williams didn't get 1st team is comical.

Only reason is he didn't have the exposure that Nick did. Arizona was pretty much under the radar Derrick's whole sophomore season compared to being ranked in the top 6 the whole season for Nick.