• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Grading our players: The Backfield

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As of late, theres been some discussion on the Lion's run game, which to some needs more help than what others believe. Its a interesting situation to follow. Lets get some rankings and opinions on these guys:

Reggie Bush (assuming he returns)
Joique Bell
Theo Riddick

Use the grading scale I've provided below and from there, I will get the average score for each player after a day or two.

Rank 1-10 with 10 being the highest. Include percentages (.1.2.3.4.5) if you believe player is between certain levels.

1- Bad player. Should not be on a NFL roster.
2- Tackling dummy or jock carrier.
3- Nothing more than a practice squad player.
4- Low level backup player.
5- Quality backup or role player with no starting potential.*
6- Starter but easily upgradeable.
7- Mid level starter, with potential as a high level starter.
8- High level starter, with All-Pro potential.
9- Consistent All-Pro player.
10- Potential Hall of Fame player.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LMAO. I figured no one would have anything to say here. (Shrugs)

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reggie- 6.8
Joquie- 7.3
Riddick- 5.5

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks Rolling

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks Rolling

Sorry, didn't feel like writing my reasoning earlier. Too lazy :lol:

Still think Reggie is a quality player, just injuries and the O-line stepping back some this year made him look worse than he is. Always been a fan of Joquie, gets the most that the O-line can give him. Riddick is a superb pass catcher and underwhelming runner. Would love to move him to the slot full time.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree with thunder

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bush (6.8)
The only real issue with Bush is his durability. I still think he is perceived as a "threat" with the ball in his hands but small lanes and his wanting to run east and west hurts him too much.

Bell (6.5)
I don't think Bell is an ideal starter but I don't necessarily think he is easily replaceable due to the strength he runs with.

Riddick (6.0)
He's good in space and can catch but lacks running the ball.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tough crowd, tough crowd :lol:

Not a complete back in the group.

Bush and Bell are without upside to me. Little late in the game to fix hands issues, IMO. And neither bring enough to the table to make shotty hands something that's offset with production.

If Bell was strictly a secondary option Id be fine with him.

I like Theo, but if he were overused or even split time as a ball carrier, I prolly wouldn't much anymore. Your idea of moving him to slot full time makes sense to me. I like how he's used late in games. Don't really see any reason why he couldnt be used in that capacity in general.

Quackerjacked

Falcon
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bush is a 6 in this offense with the possibility of an 8. He is a Harvin type where you have to be creative getting him the ball to be effective.

Bell is a 6.5 should really be the second option in a committee that is never going to light the world on fire, but he sure is nice to have back there. If he could hold on to the ball better I would probably change my opinion.

Riddick is a very nice third option. If Bush didn't suck so much last year I wouldn't have wanted to see him get the ball more. so what is that a 5.5?

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bush-6.8(his potential for a high-level starter has come and gone)
Bell-6.8(He's a better starter than many want to give credit for)
Riddick-5(He doesn't have it in him imo to be a starter, but he's good at what his role is)

No clear cut true #1 rb on our roster, but altogether they make a good bunch. Upgrade the O-line and find a young back with that #1 potential. Easy peezy lemon squeezy. ;)

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lions Top, you made a remark a couple times in the schedule thread about Bell not starting for half of the NFL teams. Didn't wanna clog up that schedule thread anymore with awesome gifs of Bell, so I brought my thoughts over here. Seemed like the best place other than starting an entirely new thread. Here goes:

Wasn't sure what criteria you were using, so I'll just post my thoughts and you can say whether it was what you meant.

I looked at all the starting RBs on each team's roster and these are the teams I felt Bell would be a starter on: Buffalo, NYJ, Cleveland, Indy, Jax, Tennessee, Oakland, Detroit, Minny, Atlanta, TB, St. Louis. That's 12 of the 32.

However, I then looked at the teams that are losing certain RBs, and if they were to lose them, I could see Bell as a starter there if he was on the team.
SF--would be a nice battle between he and Hyde, Hyde MAY get it based on a younger age.
New Orleans--Ingram could leave and although they love them some PT, they use a committee also. Bell could possibly start over PT, possibly.
Dallas--If Demarco were to leave, and Bell was the backup, I could see him becoming a starter in that offense.
San Diego--If Mathews were to leave, I could see Bell and Woodhead splitting time as a starter. Does that count? ;)
NE--If Belichek didn't have a hard on for giving fans no idea what he does, this one is tough. I don't see Vereen leaving but if Bell was on the roster, and never was late for practice, I could see Bell starting there. I don't think Blount is any better than him, yet Blount starts most of the time, even in the SB.

So that's 5 other teams he could POSSIBLY start for, given certain factors. Although if a couple of the younger backs like Demarco and Mathews sign with another team that didn't have as better starter, then Bell obviously wouldn't start there. So i definitely think there's potential that Bell would start for half or more of the NFL teams. Would he be a true#1? No. But I don't think all NFL teams have that true #1 RB. many live by that committee approach Detroit has been using. And there's nothing wrong with that anymore.

Here's the link I used to look at rosters:
2015 NFL Depth Charts By Position | Ourlads.com

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blount is way better than Bell. He's bigger, stronger and better at holding onto the ball.

Bell is a 6. He's a tough runner but he puts the ball on the ground WAY too much.
Riddick is a 5 with potential
Bush is on the downside of 6, so a 5.9 I guess. He still has a little juice but it shows up so infrequently he's not worth the continued investment.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blount is way better than Bell. He's bigger, stronger and better at holding onto the ball.
I wouldn't say "way better". But that's my opinion and I stand by it. If Jonas Gray doesn't come to practice late, and Belichek isn't such a douche, Blount isn't even on a roster let alone getting a SB ring.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bell - 7. He is our most complete back and is way better than anyone here has given him credit for. If he played for another team, half of the guys here would be slobbering all over him. He does put the ball on the ground more than he should though.

Riddick - 5.5. Awesome pass catcher but spotty runner. Perfect 3rd down and long back. Pass pro is not great either. Will be a nice role player.

Bush - 4.5. He is dropping like a stone. Poor hands and pass pro nothing special. Has not broken a tackle in years. Gives up on plays constantly. All you can say about him now is that he is still somewhat fast. All he needs is enough room to drive a truck through and he would be great. Can't send his ass out the door fast enough.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bush - 4.5. He is dropping like a stone. Poor hands and pass pro nothing special. Has not broken a tackle in years. Gives up on plays constantly. All you can say about him now is that he is still somewhat fast. All he needs is enough room to drive a truck through and he would be great. Can't send his ass out the door fast enough.
Is this considered breaking a tackle? ;)

giphy.gif

Agree though that he needs to be released. He's hurt too often and can't hit holes like he needs to.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't say "way better". But that's my opinion and I stand by it. If Jonas Gray doesn't come to practice late, and Belichek isn't such a douche, Blount isn't even on a roster let alone getting a SB ring.

Strongly disagree. The Pats love carrying multiple backs. Brady loves Blount. They specifically targeted him once the Steelers let him go. He's loved in New England. Gray is still a young guy looking to earn their trust on and off the field.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good stuff Micro.

I'll give you ten of those teams, maybe. I still think he'll fall under the "committee" group though on most teams. Im not sure Dallas would rather just draft a guy instead of starting Bell.

A couple people are saying that he's not getting enough credit but I dont see where he should be given tons of credit. Everything about him suggests that hes just a decent RB. Look at his cheap contact. If he was the one with one year left, at 5 million, we all would be talking about releasing him, probably. Why? Because he's not a true #1 and we can draft his replacement (see Bush).

I know a RB committee is the trend, but that doesn't mean the Lions have to do it. Imo, the Lions will never be able to run the ball like they want without a complete RB.

Quackerjacked

Falcon
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Blount is that much better than Bell. He's in s much better system and they work to his strengths. He is awful in the pass game while being a better runner. Bell is actually a really well rounded back, just not great and has fumbling issues.

Reggie is still good as well, but we don't do a good job of utilizing him coupled with nagging injuries last year. He played through some stuff that he could have just sat out s few games and probably played more overall with more effectiveness .