• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Grading our players: Matthew Stafford

BUD

Hoopla Cash
$ 672.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Lions have not been able to get a decent offense around him since he has been here.

With wideout draft picks like Young and Broyles the Lions just could not get that #2 receiver he needed. It wasn't until they signed Tate last season did Stafford really have a legit 1 and 2. And no I never considered Burleson a legit #2.

They also tried to surround him with LeShoure, Best, and Pettigrew. All had potential with Pettigrew actually having good stats in the past if you disregard his drops. Ebron looks to be about as effective.

As good as CJ has been the last two years he has become an injury concern and at times a decoy. It wasn't until last season the coaching staff asked him to be a game manager that the team looked like a real contender. I liked the fact he could change his game to what the team needed. Can't see Jay Cutler do that.

I am disappointed in the fact Detroit's front office has missed on so many skilled guys. Just think if Young, LeShoure, and Pettigrew were: Gronkowski, McCoy, and Randall Cobb.

IMO if the Lions can get their skilled guys and offensive line to play well at the same time Stafford will elevate his game. The Lions have not really been able to put it all together at the same time and until they do they will continue to chase the Packers.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Lions have not been able to get a decent offense around him since he has been here.

With wideout draft picks like Young and Broyles the Lions just could not get that #2 receiver he needed. It wasn't until they signed Tate last season did Stafford really have a legit 1 and 2. And no I never considered Burleson a legit #2.

They also tried to surround him with LeShoure, Best, and Pettigrew. All had potential with Pettigrew actually having good stats in the past if you disregard his drops. Ebron looks to be about as effective.

As good as CJ has been the last two years he has become an injury concern and at times a decoy. It wasn't until last season the coaching staff asked him to be a game manager that the team looked like a real contender. I liked the fact he could change his game to what the team needed. Can't see Jay Cutler do that.

I am disappointed in the fact Detroit's front office has missed on so many skilled guys. Just think if Young, LeShoure, and Pettigrew were: Gronkowski, McCoy, and Randall Cobb.

IMO if the Lions can get their skilled guys and offensive line to play well at the same time Stafford will elevate his game. The Lions have not really been able to put it all together at the same time and until they do they will continue to chase the Packers.

All these examples seem to be excuses IMO. I am considered a Stafford hater by some here. I like the kid. I hate his accuracy issues and decision making.

I look at top ranked QB'S and none have top rated OL/rushing/receiving threats at same time. They make do with what is around them. Matt IMO had some of his best performances without CJ. Without Bush also... I do agree the line was a hindrance this season on many aspects of his game and the entire offense. I also see him when he had time still have accuracy problems. Still zip it when touch was needed. I also see Matt make great throws that just make me say wow. I feel he has the tools in his box to be elite. Until he starts using them (all)on a weekly basis, I will still be a critic.
The Lions will always chase the Packers as long as Rodgers is there. See what he does when OLmen down and WRs leave because Ted Thompson drafts a replacement instead paying big money to them all. He makes do with the cards he is dealt yearly. I hope to see Matt doing one day.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All these examples seem to be excuses IMO. I am considered a Stafford hater by some here. I like the kid. I hate his accuracy issues and decision making.

Then you look at this year. He had the fewest turnovers for an entire season and the Lions win 11 games.

I look at the top QBs and they all have multiple receivers except Wilson but Seattle's run game is a difference maker. You look at 2 seasons ago when the Lions went into the tank and got Schwartz fired. Stafford was the scapegoat, but look at who he was throwing to.. Durham and and and Ogletree, and and

As for best games without CJ I would say they were bad and always playing from behind. When Stafford threw for over 5,000 yards everyone was on the bandwagon......but they were still a bad team.

IMO give me a guy that does whats necessary to win. And I think Stafford is that guy but he needs to do it more than just 1 season.

LionsWhyMe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,325.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Stafford threw for over 5,000 yards everyone was on the bandwagon......but they were still a bad team.

It's odd that when the offense ups the tempo they can move the ball up and down the field at will, but when they slow it down they become over paid actors. These past three years Stafford has given Joh Kitna results... useless yardage while afraid to put it in the end zone. When the offense is blossoming the defense wont show up, when the Defense shows up the offense will struggle, funny how that works that both don't show up in the same season.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope not. That fuckfaces wife is a sweetheart of a young lady.

But prolly.

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the famous words of GnP or Massacrex; "Stafford's a pimp."

A fanbase (outside of the koolaid drinkers)will always be more critical of their QB. Curious as to how, if all things were equal, Stafford would be perceived if playing for another team.

People want to compare Stafford to Rodgers as that is the only acceptable playing level. Stafford will never be Rodgers. Looking at

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the last few Superbowl winners, he doesn't have to be.

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the famous words of GnP or Massacrex; "Stafford's a pimp."

A fanbase (outside of the koolaid drinkers)will always be more critical of their QB. Curious as to how, if all things were equal, Stafford would be perceived if playing for another team.

People want to compare Stafford to Rodgers as that is the only acceptable playing level. Stafford will never be Rodgers. Looking at

Well, he finished the season ranked #20 in QBR, right behind Andy Dalton. I'd guess that's how people perceive him.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MICRO I love the Avi...

It also keeps bringing me back to a thought I keep having. I love CJ and never really want to see him leave. Just wonder what kind of QB Matt would be without his security blanket around? Sure some will hammer me on this. Don't care, it was just a thought and not what I want. I just noticed Matt found open options without CJ and not forcing his direction.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He locked on to Tate when CJ was gone or decoying.

Id imagine he'd do that with someone else without both. (Tate's only big games where those without CJ as a threat. He really did very little of significance the rest of the REGULAR season statistically.)

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He locked on to Tate when CJ was gone or decoying.

Id imagine he'd do that with someone else without both. (Tate's only big games where those without CJ as a threat. He really did very little of significance the rest of the REGULAR season statistically.)

Without CJ I would expect any QB to lock onto Tate. The Lions other options were: Ross, Bush, Ebron,Bell, Fuller. Not a lot confidence in those guys. Now I would love to see Stafford make those guys better but it seemed most passes not to Fuller or CJ were 3 yard dumps and let them run. Hard to get stats that fans want throwing dump and runs.

To me the bigger issue is, after all the offensive weapons Mayhew has drafted why are the Lions still having trouble finding complement pieces.