• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Grade T mans first year

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Me, I was far from impressed outside of the offense play calling. Think T man proved he is a top OC but below avg HC. I was screaming at my TV more then a few times. I am still very hopeful and believe we are better off now then before, but this year is make or break on T man for me. This is not a thrash T man thread but he scared me about 6 times last year and I feel he is bad at in game deciesions.

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im more impressed with Trestman first season than Lovies first season but I will hive him a solid B. Not sure that's says alot but I feel the "team" now is headed in the right direction. No one sided team, now it seems they are trying to get a balance that we haven't seen in Chicago in a while. Only time will tell though.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see him being an A offensive coordinator, but you just cannot give him a pass on the worst defense in football and team history. Its all his responsibility, so A for offense and F or U being unfinished just does not average to a B.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm much higher on Trestman then others. I get it... A+B=C or
A (Trestman hired)
+
B (Defense worse in franchise history)
=
C (It's Trestman's fault)

Not even close to what happened... I truly believe that if Lovie had still been HC-
A. The offense would have sucked even more and Turd Tice still calling plays that he learned from the other fired OC. Highly doubt McCown does what he did with him.
B. The Defense would have STILL sucked because of all the injuries. And that would include a resigned King of the Meatballs: Brain Urlacher.
The team would NOT have won 8 games and who knows how they would have moved forward.

Trestman has solidified the Offense @least in terms that they don't have to learn NEW OC's stuff again. The Oline got to gel for a full season and we found out just how good A. Jeffery can be. They can continue to grow in a second season without questions about IF they resign Jay...
Marc was handed a large problem with that oline and offense and fixed it for the better and future. What was believed was that the defense would be "ok" if we left it alone... WRONG it got REALLY OLD, really FAST!! And started to BREAK and snap tendons/bones/egos. It had nothing to do with Trestman. This was going to happen with any coach.
If you want to blame him for that, because as people say: He's responsible for the entire team. I can understand that- BUT what were reasonable solutions? to 5 of 11 starters down for multiple games (and one projected starter retiring in training camp.) We could just throw a "bunch" of money at street Free Agents and expect to return to a top 5 defense. I really don't like it when people say- HE SUCKS but then don't back it up with facts or reasonable alternatives. (and "bring back Urlacher!!" wasn't a reasonable thing)
I'm excited for the future and firmly believe that Trestman has brought this team closer to a championship then Lovie could have in his 10th season.
GO BEARS!!

C

cubzzzfanincali

well, if you go by final results, he gets a C. 8-8 doesn't merit a B. But handing out a grade after one year doesn't mean very much, individual seasons are affected by lots of things that are not a coaches' fault nor a coaches' credit, but over enough seasons that stuff washes out on one side or the other and you get a clearer picture.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that the jury is still out, hard to grade that many injuries on Defense. The Defense was worst than pathetic, it was Worthetic. Offense was pretty amazing though.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard to fault anyone for the defense, more or less Trestman. The injuries were out of hand, and Peppers dropping off hurt more than people admit. IMO

That was not by any means a bottom of the barrel defense the first three weeks of the season, before the injuries hit. It just wasn't. Melton going down at the end of the Pitt game started the spiral, and DJ Williams, Briggs, Peanut… just death blows.

I'm really not a fan of people who always make the head coach a scape goat. I mean, what do you want him to do when we're trotting out David fucking Bass to start games at defensive end?

C

cubzzzfanincali

I have to disagree with you somewhat richig.

You actually can fault Phil Emery for neglecting the defensive line depth. You really can. Now, I get it...believe me...every GM makes calculated gambles, and especially a GM inheriting the Angelo roster. No shit. But he made choices, and lost. If you give credit where credit is due, then you also have to assign blame where it belongs.

Many...not just those of us here....many were worried about the Bears D line depth before the season began. I specifically stated it was my number one concern about last years' team. Every single team has injuries, analyzing any roster based on the projected 22 starters is a mistake, particularly D line, where there is a rotation. You have to analyze depth to assess a team. I know we argued about this before, I am going to argue it again now.

Is this Trestman's "fault". I don't know, probably mostly not. Knowing what little I know outside Halas Hall, I'd put 90% of that blame on Emery, not on the coach. Did Trestman fight for D line depth as hard as some other coach may have? We will never know, but odds are, no, he didn't.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I give T-man a solid B.
He was just getting acclimated back to the NFL after being away , what 5-6 years.
The grade would slip to a D, if I knew he was solely responsible for hiring Tucker. Fucking Rod had to leave. :gaah:
Love our O.