• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Gotta give Roman and Harbaugh credit

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Its was like Seattle was playing with no middle LBs tonight. Every time they dumped it down the middle it was free, and Gore was clear almost every time he got past the line.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still don't like the Kaepernick play call in that situation, and it once again led to bad play from Smith right afterwards. That's 2 weeks in a row the Wild Kaep has only led to bad things happening for us.

I was glad to see the running game get going tonight though.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The extra attention to VD was probably what opened up the middle for our RB's. The O-line absolutely crushed them in the second half too.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i still wanna see more hunter. gore seems nice and fresh but i'd like to see us pound the ball more, which means we would need to give the extra carries to hunter so gore stays fresh.

NinersFan80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still don't like the Kaepernick play call in that situation, and it once again led to bad play from Smith right afterwards. That's 2 weeks in a row the Wild Kaep has only led to bad things happening for us.

I was glad to see the running game get going tonight though.

The Kaep play didn't make Alex Smith not throw to a wide open Randy Moss and throw an INT. No matter what way you spin it, its Smith's fault on that. Not Harbaugh or Roman's fault.

EaseUrStorm

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The plays to Kaep are a complete wildcard. I'm not sure if teams are starting to figure him out in that package, or if just the last few plays just happened to go bad. It's tough to sit the whole game and come in late like that.

But remember he had an awesome completion before the half on Sunday and he's torn through defenses like crazy before that. It's a good option in the redzone when it works so they'll go back to the drawing boards and figure something out. As a QB, you really can't put yourself in that position to take that crushing hit.

Gore is awesome, but he's getting more banged up each year and his body has really paid the price. I'm hopeful he didn't re-injure his hip.

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Kaep play didn't make Alex Smith not throw to a wide open Randy Moss and throw an INT. No matter what way you spin it, its Smith's fault on that. Not Harbaugh or Roman's fault.

I agree, people blaming kaep for that are looking for a scapegoat. Alex made a horrible decision that had nothing to do with rhythm.

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smith's field vision just doesn't seem all that great. I know he's really good at reading defenses, and calling plays at the line of scrimmage, but I'm wondering if Kap would have better field vision once he gets a chance.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Yes, however we had Smith lead the team down to the 8 for a first and goal. We gained 2 yards on first down, then on 2 and goal from the 6 we brought in a QB that was not even a minor threat to throw the ball. We lost two yards and all of a sudden were looking at a fairly long 3rd and goal. We wasted 2nd down.

That's what the problem with the Kaep move was.

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, however we had Smith lead the team down to the 8 for a first and goal. We gained 2 yards on first down, then on 2 and goal from the 6 we brought in a QB that was not even a minor threat to throw the ball. We lost two yards and all of a sudden were looking at a fairly long 3rd and goal. We wasted 2nd down.

So maybe the answer is if they're going to keep doing it Kaep has to do some more passes when he gets in there.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The plays to Kaep are a complete wildcard. I'm not sure if teams are starting to figure him out in that package, or if just the last few plays just happened to go bad. It's tough to sit the whole game and come in late like that.

I think its the whole reason the option running game has never worked in the NFL. Linebackers are smart and fast enough to spy, identify the play, and run down the QBs. Last two weeks we've seen an opposing LB just waiting for Kap to start running, and catching him easily. There doesn't seem to be enough deception to make it work, and Kap isn't really making anyone miss.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, people blaming kaep for that are looking for a scapegoat. Alex made a horrible decision that had nothing to do with rhythm.

Not blaming Kaep, but I am blaming the coaching. You got nothing but bad plays out of it on Sunday so why even try it tonight in a close game? It didn't make Alex throw the interception but it did take a play away from Alex and the offense. It once again put Alex back on the field in a 3rd and long. Why not just leave Alex in the game and let him hand the ball to Hunter or Gore on 2nd down if we wanted to run the ball? Then maybe 3rd down is more manageable.

Last edited by a moderator:

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
So maybe the answer is if they're going to keep doing it Kaep has to do some more passes when he gets in there.

I think we need to keep him off the field in the red zone. If he is the guy we want on the field on goal to go, then he should be the guy on the field at all times. I don't mind having him in for the read-option between the 20s, but not near either goal line.

Also, if we're going to run read option with him, let's get LaMichael active. Put Kaep at QB with Hunter and James in the backfield and run some option plays (read or triple).

NinersFan80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Im pretty sure Gore led us down the field. I was at a bar so I didn't hear anything so I am not sure if Smith made some audibles or not on that drive so he could of led them that way but it was pretty much Gore and the offensive line that whole drive. Having either Kaep or Smith in on 2nd down in the redzone doesn't make much of a difference to me. I think the play call on 2nd down wasn't the best, should of ran it to Gore but to me it doesn't matter what QB was on the field on 2nd down. And just because it wasn't Smith doesn't mean it broke his rytham and caused him to throw an INT.

You can blame Harbaugh/Roman for not running the ball to Gore or Hunter. It has nothing to do with Kaep though

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we need to keep him off the field in the red zone. If he is the guy we want on the field on goal to go, then he should be the guy on the field at all times. I don't mind having him in for the read-option between the 20s, but not near either goal line.

Also, if we're going to run read option with him, let's get LaMichael active. Put Kaep at QB with Hunter and James in the backfield and run some option plays (read or triple).

I agree with that, I also think that Seattle has really big corners and safeties, maybe the counter chess move against them is speed, ala LaMichael and even Jenkins?

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think its the whole reason the option running game has never worked in the NFL. Linebackers are smart and fast enough to spy, identify the play, and run down the QBs. Last two weeks we've seen an opposing LB just waiting for Kap to start running, and catching him easily. There doesn't seem to be enough deception to make it work, and Kap isn't really making anyone miss.

I think it hasn't been successful because there hasn't been a QB who is a good enough passing threat that is also a legitimate running threat other than Vick (who was too small to take the pounding).

Think Tebow (and Kaep until he's allowed to throw with some regularity). There is virtually no reason to respect Tebow as a passer as a LB or a S, so you play all out against the run.

If Kaep develops into a quality passer as well, the defense will have to respect the passing game as well as the option. He's also big enough to take the pounding.

Daunte Culpepper could have beasted as an option QB if he were 15 years younger.

EaseUrStorm

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm really happy for he win. The o-line was huge and the defense totally shut them down in the second half.

The worst play to me tonight by far was how wide open Moss was on that play. I mean it was borderline ridiculous how open he was and how long he was open. And that he was that open for that long well inside the redzone. Gore was actually pointing for Alex to throw him the damn ball.

And for the future - Wilson showed some good things out there in the first half. If he keeps getting better, it will be tougher to keep winning these type of games unless those plays are made.

Speaking of that, if Seattle didn't drop those key passes, it could have been a totally different game. It's good to see that we can still grind those guys down though, even after all the attention they've paid to their defense. But Seattle is a good team with a lot of potential. I worry about them much more than Arizona.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think it hasn't been successful because there hasn't been a QB who is a good enough passing threat that is also a legitimate running threat other than Vick (who was too small to take the pounding).

Yeah that's the trick, the odds that someone could be both an effective NFL passer and runner is so slim. Maybe some of those guys could have done it, but for the most part guys that can run well (and take the requisite hits) in the NFL are smaller, lower center of gravity, its hard to be much taller than 6 ft. and succeed, while its vice versa with QBs. Then you see Vick and he has both those things.....but he's missing the decision-making QBs need.

We see Kap has the blazing speed, and can be elusive in open field, but I think there needs to be a lot of deception or misdirection to make him effective at this point. And he better add a few pounds, because I bet everyone was holding his breath when he took that hit tonight.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm really happy for he win. The o-line was huge and the defense totally shut them down in the second half.

The worst play to me tonight by far was how wide open Moss was on that play. I mean it was borderline ridiculous how open he was and how long he was open. And that he was that open for that long well inside the redzone. Gore was actually pointing for Alex to throw him the damn ball.

And for the future - Wilson showed some good things out there in the first half. If he keeps getting better, it will be tougher to keep winning these type of games unless those plays are made.

Speaking of that, if Seattle didn't drop those key passes, it could have been a totally different game. It's good to see that we can still grind those guys down though, even after all the attention they've paid to their defense. But Seattle is a good team with a lot of potential. I worry about them much more than Arizona.

Seattle at least has a running back, but both teams have little fear in their passing games. We need to improve before December when we have to play them in Seattle though.